PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #1  

Default Anyone taking cinnamon?

I have IR, and I'm interested in taking cinnamon. I haven't found any good supplements where I live (not USA), so I'm gonna buy cinnamon at a food store. However, I haven't been able to find any info about how to take it. I've read that even just half a teaspoon is a beneficial dose, but what I'm confused about is if you just take that half a teaspoon, with say, breakfast, or if you have to spread it through the day before/after main meals, etc... so I'm confused! For anyone taking cinnamon I'd be happy to hear about your regime... considering it's also beneficial for things aside IR, I'm sold on cinnamon!

BTW, I'm on metformin (1 x 750mg a day), is it safe to take cinnamon too? 'Cause I'd do anything for my doc to stop the metformin, and he said if I lose weight I might eventually be able to stop it, but since last time he lowered my dosage (from 1g a day) I put a couple lbs back on and I've found it really hard to lose weight... so I'm hoping cinnamon will help a bit. Cheers!
heartandsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #2  

Whatever you do, don't take cinnamon as it is...you don't want to be doing a daily cinnamon challenge. Can you imagine how horrible that would be, lol? Idk, maybe mix it up with water or something?
I wouldn't have thought cinnamon would be unsafe to take with Metformin but i really don't know?
DaisyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #3  
chubby punk

S/C/G: tick..tick...boom

Height: 5'5"

If you have the time and money to see a naturopath, they will be able to source cinnamon tablets for you.
LaurenBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I just eat it like food. Put in my oatmeal, smoothie, stir into a treat ice cream, etc. 1/4 tsp in the oatmeal in morning, 1/4 tsp in the smoothie/ice cream at night.

I bought in bulk from Frontier via amazon to split with pals. For much cheaper we all got MORE organic that what it would to get a spice jar full.

Just make sure it is Cinnamomum zeylanicum, or Cinnamomum verum -- TRUE cinnamon.

It's much smoother and not so harsh -- truly delicious. I could capsule it up but I LOVE cinnamon so I wouldn't want to. But if you did it is possible to fill your own gel caps.

Mary's PCOS faq suggests it is a 3 star thing, and suggests 1/2 tsp a day so you are on track there.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-25-2012 at 11:31 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #5  

Thank you ladies, that was helpful
heartandsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 192/176/130

Height: 5'3"

I took a pretty high quality cinnamon supplement, but it didn't do squat for me. However, I know a lady who took it and it was just the thing. Shrug. Just never know what will work for you.
scorpgrl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I also take cinnamon, but make sure you check with your doctor first. Also, absolutely make sure you dont buy cinnamon cassia, which has a natural blood thinner in it and also can damage your liver. True cinnamon only, as others have said above. If it doesn't say which type of cinnamon it is, it's probably cassia, so avoid it!

I take (eat) 3 grams of cinnamon daily, usually on my oatmeal. I buy it in power form from wholefoods. You can also get it online.

Last edited by kelly315; 07-16-2012 at 05:45 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote