Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #1  
It's Kassie Baby!

S/C/G: 250/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Getting motivated to work out...when I don't want to )':

SO. I'm healthy, I'm happy. New job and loving it. I've just been very slack on working out. My body says I'm good to go, my brain even says that, but part of me is like "eh...you can stay in bed.." I'm tired of letting that part of me win. I'm not losing that way. I'm not gaining (thank god) but I'm definitely not losing. This month has been kind of hard in regards to losing because I've been sick, stressed, tired, busy, depressed, etc. I'm coming out of this funk and I want to get back on track because I know I won't hit 150 if I don't.

What are some motivation tactics you all use AND what are some other types of cardio that are fun other than biking, running/walking? I still do weight training, but even that has been kind of slacking.

I just don't want to gain back all I've lost because I worked so hard and while that in itself is a motivator, it isn't enough for me anymore. Any help?
kassiebby1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: hw175/145/140

Height: 5'6"

When I don't really feel like working out, I complain the whole time I put my gear on, as I tie my shoes, and head out the door to do what needs to be done. Usually I end up getting a pretty good workout even when I didn't really want to do it in the first place. You could try playing tennis, taking a dance class, doing yoga (so much more of a workout than I every gave it credit for in the past), its also fun to actually plan a hike somewhere different. I usually do walks/runs around my neighborhood but when I'm getting bored with that I like to pick a nature park or some sort of trail I haven't been to before and go for it. Good luck, you have done incredibly well so far!
Domlacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

I find that putting clothes on to work out and the shoes help, and once you're in the car well it's all good to go from there, and I find on my egh days spending too much time on one cardio machine I get over it, and I need a change of pace..
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #4  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

I have been having this problem as well, my body is ready to move it but I can't seem to convince myself to actually do it. It is extra hard when your dealing with other problems so don't beat yourself up over it, okay?

When I am not motivated to do anything I usually start writing or re reading a list of all the reasons I want to do this. Some examples are
- To feel happy with my body
- To be an inspiration for my family
- So I can ROCK a bikini

When I am reminded of all the reasons I started this sometimes it gives me a kick in the butt I really need to get moving. Other things I try is reading fitness magazines and I LOVE Pinterest, search fitness motivation and BOOM tons of pictures, quotes and stuff to help with the lazy feeling.

When I get sick of my routine I start scheduling in some hikes when I can. Hiking is amazing, just being in the middle of nature really seems to revitalize my mind. I also try to swim, kick box and jump rope! Jumping rope is my favorite out of those, makes me feel young again haha
Hope I helped!
Good luck with your journey!
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #5  
It's Kassie Baby!

S/C/G: 250/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Well I actually went to the gym after I posted this. I sat down after I made this and thought to myself "WHY am I doing this?" I came up with a couple reasons:

1) To prove to those who made fun of me that I'M gonna be the one laughing
2) To NOT let down those who believe in me
3) To make my ex regret what he left and my current I'm worth staying with
4) To be an inspiration to those around me
5) To get my tattoos/bikini body
6) To have a new found confidence within myself
7) To give the scale a slap in the face

Granted, I wasn't thinking these all at the time. They came to me the moment I stepped on the scale and saw I gained 2 more pounds than I had on Monday. I'm at 208(but I REFUSE to count it). I swore to myself I would never see 210 again and I meant it. I kicked it in gear at full throttle. More cardio than I've done in a long time. I burned 500+ calories running alone AND I swam. I'm back. <3
kassiebby1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #6  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

One of my "tricks" is to tell myself to go and do 15 minutes. What's 15 minutes, right? But as others have stated, once you have on your clothes, and your shoes, and have your music, and get to the gym/park/track/choose your poison,
that's half of the battle.

And I NEVER do only 15 minutes once I've gotten there.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 06-20-2012 at 06:14 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/160/135

I try putting new songs on to dance with while I put my work out gear on. Then I upload them onto my ipod and play it in the car as I drive there.

I also have a special playlist for motivation.
BlackBarbieKiss125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 288/288/175

Height: 174cm

Conversation with the boyfriend today:

Me: I don't want to exercise...
Him: Then don't.
Me: But I ought to...
Him: Well, do it then.
Me: But I'm having a rubbish day.
Him: ...
Me: And that's no excuse?

This went on while we wandered into the spare room, I got my sweating pants on, and he got the xbox fired up for some car racing (without which I have trouble cycling for long because it's so mind-numbingly tedious). Eventually, I got on the bike.

Me: I don't want to do this.
Him: Yes, you do.
Me: No, I really, really don't.
Him: I'm pretty sure you actually do.
Me: [getting annoyed because he's being contrary] No. I DON'T. It's horrible and boring and sweaty and good for me and I hate it and I'M GOING TO DO IT ANYWAY.

I think it's like getting up early in the morning on a dark and rainy winter morning because you have to go to work. You wouldn't skip work just because it's grim outside and your job's boring, because years of habit have ingrained it in your brain that work is non-negotiable - it has to be done whether you like it or not, so you just get on with it. The trick is getting your brain to view exercise the same way. If you can figure out how to make that trick work for you, you're sorted. If you can figure out how to make it work for everyone you'll be a millionaire!
Brid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #9  
camper

S/C/G: 215/154/145

Height: 5'7 and 1/2

Just do it...don't think about it...just DO IT! That is what I tell myself. If I start to think about it, its over. I just do it and don't analyze it. I find that the only time I have a hard time with motivation, is when its "that time of the month" or near it. If I can push through that time, then I am fine the rest of the month. I also agree with the poster who said just do 15 minutes. Really, just do 15 minutes and if you want to quit after that, you can. Odds are, your going to start feeling good 15 minutes into it and you won't want to. I like how someone on here said that its hard to be fat and hard to stay in shape..which one are you going to pick?
camper67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #10  
CurlBro

S/C/G: 181/150/138

Height: 5'8

I recently fell out of the exercising loop too, and took a week to re-evaluate and eat at maintenance. I think it was because I felt like I wasn't going to get anywhere even with exercise.

Something I can recommend is just taking some time to think about everything. Think about what you want within your weight loss endeavors, and what you want to achieve. Think about how it's a road, a road with an end to it, and you won't get there unless you keep moving. Most importantly, like camper said, just do it. I never regret a workout after I'm done. I hope this helps, it's helped me to get back on track.
Sly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #11  

Height: 5'4

Also remember that exercising isn't just an add-on for weight loss, it's for your HEALTH. Your body is designed to move, so move it! Weightlifting improves your bone density, cardio keeps your heart and lungs healthy, yoga and stretching keeps your joints, muscles and ligaments nice and elastic... it's not just about burning calories.

My fiance and I have both had some significant medical issues in the last couple of years, and it's because of the fact that we were both active and healthy BEFORE our surgeries/injuries that we were able to recover so quickly and move on. Each time I go to the gym I'm improving the quality of my life first and foremost; I sleep better at night, I have more energy during the day, my skin looks amazing, I feel strong, I have great posture, my cholesterol levels are a doctor's dream, my resting heart rate is almost scary... the list goes on and on.

Don't just think about working out as a means to an end (and definitely not for 'revenge' of some sort, as most of your reasons on that list you wrote seem to be... that will NOT keep you motivated in the long run). Think about your HEALTH, and if you REALLY need some motivation, do a Google search of the statistics of heart disease and diabetes, especially among African American women, and women living in North Carolina. It's scary.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #12  
camper

S/C/G: 215/154/145

Height: 5'7 and 1/2

I agree with JosFit!!! Do it for your health!!! I am not an extremely vain person, so sometimes doing it to just "look good" doesn't motivate me. What motivates me when I am feeling like I don't care about my appearance, is knowing what it is doing for my health. One of the leading causes of cancer and especially breast cancer in women, is obesity. I also suffer from pretty severe depression issues, and excersize has decreased my depression greatly. There are many many benefits and you DESERVE to feel good and be healthy!!! I think of every morning as a renewal to myself. I sweat out the old bad stuff that I could have done wrong yesterday and think of it as renewing my mind and my body.
camper67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

Good for you! You went and did it and it wasn't the worst thing that has ever happened =)

This is how it goes for me on Tuesdays and Thursdays (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and one day on the weekend are afternoon workouts):

4:57AM *alarm goes off* I hit snooze immediately
5:07AM *alarm goes off* I hit snooze again and start whining that I don't want to. That I can't. That I'm just not going to go today.
5:17AM *alarm goes off* I hit snooze again. Try to coherently gather my thoughts. I don't wanna. But I kinda do. I can't. But I did it two days ago just fine. I'm just not going to go today. Why wouldn't I go? I dunno. Cuz I don't wanna. Do I want to get fit and be strong? Yes. How am I going to be that if I do not get up today? ..... FINE. I'LL GET UP. UGH. GAWD.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #14  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I've convinced myself that I have to do it, no matter what. It's NOT optional. It's like eating and sleeping.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #15  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Zumba, dancing at clubs, motion-oriented video games, mountain hiking, chasing dogs and/or children, etc.

I just make myself do it 5 days a week. Wanting to or not, that's irrelevant. It is a part of my schedule that I must do, like going to work.

Do you have time not in the morning? I HATE morning workouts and perform way worse than in afternoon/evening, so of course I'm less interested in morning exercise because I know it will suck.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote