South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #1  

Default Need to Shake Things Up a Bit Help

Ok, I have been following SB since last October, and I have done pretty good. Even now I am maintaining, which is ok with me. I still follow SB pretty much, except everynow and again, but what I always wanted was a lifestyle change that I could live with.

The area I am having my biggest issue with is lunch time. I do not get a lunch break at work, so I have to take snacks with me that I can eat during work. Fruit seems to work the best, but now I think I am eating too many fruits mainly because when I get off work I am so very hungry.

You guys have always been good with suggestions, but over the last few months I discovered that I can not eat yogurt (I think I have an issue with digesting milk protein (I ruled out any lactose issue). I cannot handle beans, they seem to just sit in my system, sort of shut it down and then I suffer. I have discovered this through some colon issues, I am much better if I avoid beans.

So, the normal snacks that have protein are not doable for me. I have made protein bars and they seem to be ok, just need a reciepe that really rocks. I eat lots of salads for dinner but the no lunch really throws a snag in my eating plans.

I also need to get some exersie in my routine, but just can't get that done.

So, anyone else with these types of situations. I dont' want to hang up the SB way of life, becasue it works and I can see it long term, but in my case I stuggle with the daytime eating to get good snacks in (other than fruit).

OK, my fear is that in 5 months I will be posting a thread about getting back on SB. And I want to prevent that from happening, I want to stay where I am at but I know the inability to have a normal lunch is going to be down fall.

Sorry, for rambling, but being a lurker, I guess it gets built up inside. Thanks girls.

Last edited by chickadeee55; 06-18-2012 at 08:41 AM.
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/157.8/133

Height: 5'4"

Can you bring an insulated lunch bag? While I realize that Fruit is easier to through in your purse, if you had a way to keep things a bit cool, you'd be able to bring some other proteins and some cut up veggies. I have to eat in my car while driving a lot, so I understand your issues. So - if you can keep things cold, hard boiled eggs would be good, as are those pouches of tuna. You can usually find coupons on line for those, which helps keep the price down! Add some veg that you can eat without dip (Snow Pea Pods are my current favorite). Good luck. I'm hoping to see some other suggestions on here too!
CatMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

They make containers now that have a freezer ring in the lid. You just pop the freezer ring the freezer the night before. It last several hours.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

I have one of those bowls for salad they work great even keep the dressing cool. How about turkey roll ups with LF cheese? Also, there are recipes for soups served cold. I have a great cooler bag that looks like a purse sometimes I throw my wallet in there too. Keeps my food cold enough with an ice pack for the entire day. Also, how about adding natural PB with the fruit? The protein/fat combo may help you not feel so hungry.
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #5  

These are good ideas, I never thought of turkey roll ups that would work. And natural peanut butter is good. I find that fruit is so much easier, but I know that even though it is healthy, it will not give me protein which I need and that is why I am so hungry when I get home.

But, yep, I have a insulated bag I carry items in, I just have to be careful about what I eat at my desk, tuna salad would be great except for the smell!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/157.8/133

Height: 5'4"

I agree about the smell. Oddly, the tuna in pouches isn't as bad, but this gave me a thought. They also sell chicken in little cans. I haven't had it since I was a kid, AND after hiking 10 miles (we used them for a girl scout backpacking meal). Truthfully, at that point, I would have eaten my shoes, so I can't vouch for flavor!
CatMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Fruit just makes me more hungry!

I agree - some snacks are -
hummus and veggies (can you eat this? wow, it holds me well)
cheese sticks
roll ups
deviled (or plain) eggs
mini portions of other favs, like salad or leftover supper
ex - if I have steak or chicken that week, it's a great cold leftover IMHO!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #8  

Oh thank you for this. When I got home today, I was hungry and trying to think what I could have, so I found a leftover piece of steak in the fridge, so I ate that, and it should hold me over til dinner, we are having a veggie drink tonight.

And that is what I was thinking that fruit seems to make me hungrier, so today I did have Natural PB with 1/2 sliced apple, some blueberries and some nuts. I forget about all the options, I think they call it being in a rut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwynnB View Post
Fruit just makes me more hungry!

I agree - some snacks are -
hummus and veggies (can you eat this? wow, it holds me well)
cheese sticks
roll ups
deviled (or plain) eggs
mini portions of other favs, like salad or leftover supper
ex - if I have steak or chicken that week, it's a great cold leftover IMHO!