Braised Pork Chops & Celery
The recipe I am adapting from: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/642684
4 cups chopped Celery (splitting with my husband, ~1 celery rib = 1/2 cup chopped)
2 egg whites
2 pork chops
1. For the braised vegetables: place the celery and 2 cloves chopped garlic into a large pan with some EVOO and a pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat for~5 minutes until the celery are slightly softened.
2. Pour in the chicken stock, just enough to cover veggies, and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes over a low heat, or until the vegetables are meltingly soft. Keep warm.
3. For the pork chops: season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan and add ~1-2 cloves chopped garlic. Add the pork chops and fry for 3-4 minutes on both sides, or until golden-brown all over and cooked through. Remove from the heat and set aside to rest.
4. Meanwhile, remove the braised celery and onions from the heat. Spoon the egg whites over some of the cooking liquid. Mix well to combine, then add lemon juice and lemon zest (I like to use all of the lemon!). Heat through gently for a few minutes (make sure the heat is not too high or the mixture will curdle). Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. To serve, spoon the braised celery and onions onto plates and rest the pork chops on top. Spoon over the rest of the sauce.