Thread: Making yogurt
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #4

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's been in the fridge for about an hour and a half, and I had to have some. The consistency is a little runny, but it may thicken up overnight. If not, it's still really awesome, it's just more like the yogurt drinks than spoonable yogurt (but I know they add gelatin and stuff or strain commercial yogurt to make it thicker).

I also put a little bit of the yogurt in a couple plastic bowls and added whey powder to one, and xanthum gum to the other, to see how they thicken in comparison.

Either way, the taste is amazing, and I can't get over how it barely needs any sweetener (I used one packet for a whole bowl of yogurt).

The various recipes online give different suggestions for thickening yogurt (using more starter - but that can make the yogurt bitter, incubating longer - but that can make the yogurt tarter, adding cream - though that adds calories and fat, and adding whey protein or powdered milk - before or after the yogurt is made).

I can't wait to experiment with future batches. I don't have any way to strain it, so I'll maybe buy some cheesecloth or muslin for my next batch.

I also definitely want to buy a better food thermometer. I had to use a meat thermometer and it didn't register the lower end, so I had to guestimate when to add the starter.

The only problem I see with this, is I'm going to have to be very careful about portion control. I had a very nice 200 calorie budgeted-for snack, and I've come in just under-budget for my daily calories, but the yogurt in the fridge is still calling my name "just a little bit more, I'm sooooo yummmmmmy, and inexpensive, and good for you too."

Naughty talking yogurt.
My Etsy shop (currently closed for the summer)
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote