Thread: Making yogurt
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #1

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Making yogurt

I made homemade yogurt for the first time today (without a yogurt maker).

Wow, so easy. There are a lot of ways to do it, but I chose one of the simplest (no double boiler).

I heated the milk slowly to 185, stirring frequently. Then cooled it on the counter until the temperature was about 110 degrees and then added in a couple tablespoons of plain yogurt containing live cultures (I chose Chobani greek). Poured the yogurt into a crock pot (because I was going to need the dutch oven that I heated the milk in) and put the crockpot on a heating pad set on med. and covered with bath towels, and let sit for 5.5 hours (the recipe said 3.5 to 12 hours - and the longer incubation, the tarter the yogurt).

The half-gallon of milk made half-gallon (two quarts) of yogurt. If I want a thicker greek-style yogurt, I can strain it and will (per the recipe) end up with 1 to 1.5 quarts of strained yogurt.

At 1.50 for the milk (and almost nothing for the yogurt - especially since I can use my homemade yogurt as starter for the next batch), that's a pretty good savings.

And it tastes better than the best yogurt I've ever eaten (and not just because I made it. I've never had yogurt this mild and milky tasting. There is some tartness, but it's very subtle. I love that. It reminds me more of creme freche.

And along the way, I found recipes for sour cream and various cheeses that are nearly as simple.

Maybe I'll start some sprouts tonight too, just to get into the hippy spirit.
My Etsy shop (currently closed for the summer)
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote