South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 05:49 AM   #1  
Mous

Talking Talk to me Tuesday at the Beach DAILY 8/26

Let's talk about.........

Why is this SO important to you to follow the SBD?
Why do you want to lose weight?
Why do you think this will work this time?
What foods can you live without?
Do you have favorite recipes?
How important is exercising?
Do you think having a personal weight loss buddy is important?
When is the hardest time for you?
What is your best tip?

I want to learn to eat healthy as you all know by now.
I truly live by Health is my goal and weight loss is my gift.

I want to lose weight so that I won't have the health related issues that so many over weight people have as they get older. I want to breath and be active as I age.

Why will this work this time? Because I am in CONTROL and I am working the program and food has taken secon place in my life.

I am finding that I am doing without so many of my "fav" thngs and truly don't care that I am not eating them, like chocolate, ice cream, bread and potatoes AND chips!

I really like the Pistachio Chicken Salad recipe and the SF Jell-O mixed with Cool/Whip FF and the light black Cherry Yogurt mixed with FF cool whip and frozen.

Shamefully exercise ISN'T important to ME. But I am exercising. I would benefit from having a friend to do it with, but alas! my closest friends are over weight and don't care that
they are.

I would LOVE to see a thread for having a buddy here. E-Mail's could be exchanged and we could be there EVERYDAY for them. This is the next best thing tho.

My hardest time is from 1-3 in the afternoon. I will have a snack then, BUT.........I still want to eat, well, I don't, I just THINK I do!

My best tip:
Health is my goal and weight loss is my gift.

I also say Que Sera, Sera...what will be, will be, let it go!

Have a great day.

Lady
Old 08-26-2003, 06:33 AM   #2  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Good Morning, all! I am working a day shift today for a special project, and just crawled out of bed

Great exercise, Marcie. I think it is as important to examine our thought process as our actions!

SBD has become important to me because it is a chance to have a healthy relationship with food.

Losing weight is just a part of becoming fit, which I want to do to set a good example for my kids and so I can fully enjoy my life.

This is working for me because I have changed not just what I eat, but how I relate to food and my attitudes about fitness.

I think I have different favorite foods now! I can easily live without fruit and pastries.

I now absolutely love salads...spinach, romaine, you name it!

Exercise is becoming an integral part of my life these days. Not only does the weight come off easier, but I just feel so much better about life in general!

Although I think a 'buddy system' is a great idea, for me this forum is such a great source of support that I certainly don't feel alone in all this!

The hardest time for me is the weekends! Without the structure of the workday to build my day around I tend to forget to eat or don't plan my meals like I do during the week.

My best tip? Hmmmm...make the plan your own! Find what works for YOU! And QUIT the "all or nothing" club!

Hope you all have a great Tuesday on the beach! First day of school here, so my DS is so excited he was up before 6am!
Old 08-26-2003, 07:06 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh my... a quiz first thing in the morning. Great idea, Marcie... I need some reminders...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BECAUSE IT WORKS!! AND IT'S HEALTHY.

BECAUSE I'M CONCERNED ABOUT MY HEALTH, AND I HATE THE WAY I LOOK. AND I HAVE A SHIPLOAD OF GREAT CLOTHES IN MY CLOSET THAT DON'T FIT ME. YET.

BECAUSE THIS IS A GREAT DIET! I'M NOT OBSESSING ABOUT FOOD ANYMORE. IT'S BECOME MORE OF A NECESSITY THAN A PLEASURE, WHICH IS AS IT SHOULD BE. LIFE SHOULDN'T REVOLVE AROUND MY NEXT MEAL.

TO MY SURPRISE... BREAD! AND PASTA. POTATOES.

GRILLED SWEET POTATOES!

I HAVE TO JUST ACCEPT THAT IT HAS GOT TO BE A REGULAR PART OF MY LIFE. I HATE EXERCISING. I'M FINE SHIFTING LUMBER OR GARDENING OR DOING ANYTHING THAT'S NECESSARY, BUT I HATE THE THOUGHT OF GOING TO THE GYM. HOWEVER, AS HALF MY LIFE IS SPENT SITTING AT A COMPUTER, I JUST HAVE TO GET OVER IT AND GO!

YUP! THIS FORUM IS THE BEST, BUT IT'S GOOD TO HAVE A LITTLE SUPPORT ON THE SIDE, TOO!

AFTERNOON. I'M STARTING TO RUN ON EMPTY, AND ALL I WANT TO DO IS EAT AND SLEEP.

What is your best tip?
STOP PROCRASTINATING! JUST DO IT! NOW!!

~~~~~~~~~~~

My sweet DH is back to work this morning. The kids go back to school next week. (can't wait to be completely ALONE! )
I'm going to plan a lovely meal for this evening and spend the day tiding the house. DH won't know what's hit him when he gets home.

Have a wonderful day, girls... love and hugs to all...
Old 08-26-2003, 07:46 AM   #4  
Imagine...

Yikes...a quiz!

So far it has been the only realistic plan to follow

Like everyone else...to avoid health complications and to look & feel better

I have no idea...Maybe I am just ready this time.

Pasta...to my surprise my head didn't explode without it.

Not much of a cook but choc. covered strawberries saved me.

I hate exercising...if I'm gonna sweat I want it to be for SEX. But I realize it is an necessary evil... I am going to start back at curves now that it has cooled off a bit. I would much rather get something productive done such as gardening, housework etc... but curves only takes 30 min. and I believe I need the structure.

Yes, its helps to realize you are not alone...we are all in the same boat with the sames struggles. You gals are terriffic!!

I would say night time snacking is the hardest part of the day. Weekends are a close second, with the lack of structure.

What is your best tip?
Stop talking and just do something about it. And remember to drink alot of water.

And I didn't even study...Morning Lovelies

I just hate having to think first thing in the am hehehe. I think I need to start phase one again. No loss for me in a couple of weeks, but I have maintained. Actually I have not been real strict...now we know why I haven't lost. I think I'm gonna have to do the "E" word...I hate exercise.

Thanks to Marcie for reminding me why I am here...and I thought it was just for the chit chat.

Have a wonderful day!!
Old 08-26-2003, 08:06 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Wow! Talk about exercising the old brain first thing in the morning! Very timely, Marcie, and exactly what I need this morning as I have crept back to the border of ONEderland.

I have spent decades journalling and counting every darn thing I eat. This is a relief!

Vanity on the surface but mainly because I want to make it to 100. I am diabetic so I must get rid of some of this fluff.

The nickel dropped. I can live with this plan easily.

Chocolate is what I say now. Ask me againwhen I stock up for Halloween!

They are all my favourite - I love cooking.

I am active but hate formal exercising. I am trying very hard to get in a couple of walks with my dogs every day. I have the WATP tapes but they are dusty. I'm considering investing in Body Flex.

My buddy is my DH! About a year ago, I finally told him what I weighed. He has been very supportive ever since. It was a very liberating experience for me and made him realize what a struggle I've had all these years.

We eat late - 7:30 usually. Late afternoons are really hard but I'm learning to plan a snack around 4. I used to have before bedtime snack attacks but they seem to have abated.

What is your best tip?
Have a mantra - mine is "The only thing stopping me from losing is me."

I've decided to start every day with something that's fun. This morning I played wrestling on the deck with my two dogs. They beat me! My husband thinks I am insane but it's wonderful to start the day with a good laugh. I wonder if dog wrestling counts as exercise.

I am going back to Phase 1 today. Extra carbs have been creeping in and so has that half glass of wine which seems to be getting bigger. I am going to start a food log thread which may help me keep honest.

This morning friend Rob and I are slated to go to the Fair Hall to sort out the pieces of schoolwork that were entered in the Fair. I hope to work in my walk before that and some gardening afterwards.

I hope we all have a great day!
Old 08-26-2003, 08:10 AM   #6  

Good Morning Beach Beauties!!!

It is important to follow SBD because it makes me feel healthier ...

I want to lose weight so I can avoid health problems in the future and keep up with my grandaughter ...

It will work this time because the plan is so flexible ... if I get off track, I can always go back to Phase I ...

My favorite recipes are sesame chicken and chocolate merinque ...

Exercising is VERY important ... I do 45 minutes on the treadmill every morning and go to the gym 4 X a week for weights or a class ... have been doing so for a few years ... it relieves stress (and keeps me from being a screaming lunatic) ...

This forum is great support and I have a friend at work doing SBD; we try to support each other ...

The hardest time for me is from 2:30 to 4:30 ... end of workday when I'm tired and feel like eating anything I can get my hands on ... I always have a hard boiled egg or celery w peanut butter on hand ...

Best tip would be planning ... it's easier to stay on track if you're prepared for any food emergencies ... alway have health snacks on hand ....

Have a wonderful day girls!!!
Old 08-26-2003, 08:11 AM   #7  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

I KNOW it works. When i am on track I feel healthier!!

Already seeing signs of weight related problems in myself, and realizing that I may end up with many of the problems my Dad is dealing with if I don't get this all under control.

I have a more realistic and healthier goal. Also, this seems to be the right combination of low carb and healthy fat for me.

POTATO CHIPS!!!

Love those ricotta desserts!!!

VERY important, but I have to admit that I am not doing enough of it. Need to add this element in to be TRULY on track.

It sure helps!!!

Late afternoon, and mid evening.

What is your best tip?
Keep drinking water, and don't sweat the mistakes too much. Get back on track and focus on the journey!!!

I'm very tired this morning. I have had too many days off track, and need to start phase 1 again too. We have a line of storms going through now, which will EVENTUALLY cool things off around here. In the meantime though, power is out north of here.....EEEK!

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!!!!!
Old 08-26-2003, 08:28 AM   #8  
In Control: E+R=O

Good Morning Beach Beauties!

I took the day off from work today, so i didn't think I'd have to THINK today! Here goes.......

Like so many others, for health reasons. I had borderline high blood pressure (which was down to about 120/72 at my recent appointment), was so tired all of the time, am insulin resistant (with diabetes in the family), and my diabetic aunt recently died from heart disease. I could see my future, and I didn't like what I was seeing.

Why do you want to lose weight? See response to question above.

Why do you think this will work this time? Because this is not a diet or a fad, it's a way of life that I can live with. I feel so much better when I eat this way that I have no desire to return to my old habits.

What foods can you live without? I never would have said this a couple of months ago, but I can definitely live without sweets, candies, baked goods, junk food. Not to say that I'll never sample these things again, because I probably will at some point, but I know that it don't need them every day, or every week, or even every month.

Do you have favorite recipes? Well, I'm still getting myself in the habit of cooking for myself, so I'm still experimenting with recipes. I like a lot of the chicken recipes that I've tried so far....I guess if I had to chose my favorite at this point it would be the salsa chicken.

How important is exercising? Intellectually I know that exercise is critical to any successful weight-loss plan, as well as very important for health. I'm still trying to incorporate daily exercise into my life and to make it a habit....I haven't gotten there yet, but I'm determined.

Do you think having a personal weight loss buddy is important? Yes. It's always much easier to accomplish something when you have support of people who know what you're going through, and who are going through the same thing. The support, advice, laughter, tears, and occasionally kick in the pants are what keep you going.

When is the hardest time for you? Definitely evenings. Grazing and snacking all evening long is an old habit that is hard to break. Eating a good evening meal and making sure I'm full, and finding other things to keep my hands busy in the evening are helping to break the old habit.

What is your best tip? Hmmmmm......I guess I would say Listen to Your Body. Eat when you are hungry. Don't let yourself get so ravenous that you are out of control and put anything and everything into your mouth. And don't eat a big meal when you are not really hungry just because the clock says it's meal time....sometimes a smaller meal or snack is what you need. Also, eliminate the word DIET from your vocabulary!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's going to be a beautiful day today.....high temp around 80 and sunny. I'm taking this day for MYSELF.....I'm going to do some shopping, then meeting some friends this afternoon for a birthday celebration for 3 of them (I've already started planning what I'm going to eat/drink when we get together....it will be at a restaurant so I'll have control over my choices).

Have a great day beauties!!!

Last edited by twodogmom; 08-26-2003 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:49 AM   #9  

Morning everyone!!!

Thanks for the quiz this morning...not enough coffee to think yet but I seem to have the same answers as everyone else....(hopefully I'll have a chance today to write them all down...I"m at work..augh)

Couldn't post yesterday, too busy in work, can you believe it???

Anyway, I've been doing pretty well, except for the weekends...still too many parties with great food and I'm just too tempted...

I will say however, I've been walking every day. 2 miles in the AM and I try again for 2 miles in the PM....!! I"m really proud of myself for that...and not to mention that my puppy is my alarm clock at 5:30 every morning so I have to get up with her and take her out. Whenever I don't feel like going for the walk, I think of all the people I see out there exercising, getting healthy and getting great bodies. It pushes me, motivates me...I'll never get healthy sitting on my butt.....

I'm so glad that I had a chance to check in today....looks like we are all doing great....The mental attitudes are wonderful!!
Let's keep it up....

Ciao for now...

Di
Old 08-26-2003, 09:32 AM   #10  
GARDENING ADDICT

Oh my gosh...I had trouble all morning getting online and now you're making me think, too???

SBD is important to me because it's healthy and it works.

I want to lose weight so that I can fit in my clothes better.

This WOE will work because not only am I determined but this is a healthy WOE that I can stay on for life without feeling that I'm having to sacrifice anything.

I can live without having potatoes, bread, chips or pasta every day. Yet, it's nice to know that I can have these occassionally. Sweets have never been a real problem for me.

Fav recipies~ Pistachio Chicken Salad , roasted veggies, ricotta desserts.

Exercise~~It is important to me because I know that it will make me feel and look better...but this is the area that I have the most trouble with. Gotta work on this!!!!

Having a Buddy helps in everything that you do in life. Thank you all for being my buddy

The hardest time of the day for me is in the evening. I have always wanted to snack while watching TV or reading (especially something salty and crunchy ).

Best tip~~Planning, which includes remembering to eat.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Julie~~~Congrats on the recent weight loss

Ruth~~It depends on the size of the dog.

Have a great day on the beach ladies
Old 08-26-2003, 11:42 AM   #11  

I guess with school starting again, a quiz is quite appropriate..so here goes....

Why is SBD important to me? Because it is based on similar principles of SugarBusters, which I had been on for 2.5 years and it helped move me off my plateau. Fooled my little stubborn body!!!

I want to lose weight in order to improve my health and cardiac problems.

This WOE will work for me because it is "liveable" and I am EXTREMELY disciplined

I can live without refined carbohydrates or sweets. I cannot, however, live without popcorn.

My favotite recipe is for taco salad without the carbs.

Sometimes I dread exercise but it is the only thing that consistently works for my weight loss..so I do it. I may not love it, but I love what it does for my body. I do have a trainer, which is a great source of motivation.

The hardest part of the day for me is between 3 and 6 in the evening. Things are usually slow at work during this time and I am a big BOREDOM eater.

My best tip: If you always do what you always did, you'll always get, what you always got..

have a great day all!!!!
Old 08-26-2003, 02:41 PM   #12  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Hi Beach Beauties!!
I'm pretty new to SBD (in day 3 of Phase I) but just wanted everyone to know how much I LOVE reading all your great responses to this thread!
Thought I'd try to answer a few of these questions so that I might possibly help someone else who is just beginning SBD. So here goes:
Why is it imp. for me to follow SBD? I am a Lifetime WW who lost 45 pounds in April of 2002, and gradualoly gained back 10 or 12 pounds of it! The wrong kind of carbs have been a problem for me for a long time + portion control, so this seemed like the right route for me.
Why do I want to lose weight? I want to be in control of my life and to feel good about myself with the confident attitude I had before I gained back these pounds.
Why will it work this time? Because I don't like being out of control!
What foods can I live without? I think I can live without processed foods!
Do I have favorite recipes? Not yet on SBD, however, I love to cook, so I know I will be trying some out very soon.
How important is exercising to me? As important as eating healthy. They go together like fingers and toes! I try to get an hour a day in at the health club 5 days a week. This not only makes me feel better, but it also helps me stay healthy.
Do I think a buddy would be helpful? Absolutely. Two is always better than one.
When is it the hardest time for me? I usually do fine until afternoon and evening. I am awful about snacking at night. I am breaking myself of this habit...for sure!
What is my best tip? Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!!!!!!! Isn't it the truth?
Thanks for all your wonderful tips Beach Buddies. You are all great!
Old 08-26-2003, 05:48 PM   #13  

Why is this SO important to you to follow the SBD? I need to do something to control myself. I have terrible mood swings and binge becuase of them
Why do you want to lose weight? www.geocities.com/[email protected] and I want to be the person I know I can be
Why do you think this will work this time? Because I am determined to lose weight.
What foods can you live without? Surprisingly Pasta...
Do you have favorite recipes? Cauliflower Soup so far
How important is exercising? It needs to be more important
Do you think having a personal weight loss buddy is important? YES! because losing weight has surprisingly little to do with food!
When is the hardest time for you? at Nigh and at events
What is your best tip? WATER
Old 08-26-2003, 06:10 PM   #14  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome to all the new chicks!
Megan... what beautiful girls!
Old 08-26-2003, 07:19 PM   #15  

Why is this SO important to you to follow the SBD? I am a terrible dieter...I need structure or a Shrink

Why do you want to lose weight? I want to be healthy...that is number one!! And I wouldn't mind looking good either.

Why do you think this will work this time? Who said it was working??

What foods can you live without? Irish Potatoes

Do you have favorite recipes? Not really, I eat anything!!

How important is exercising? I need to make it more of a priority

Do you think having a personal weight loss buddy is important? I suppose so...I think I am a lost cause...

When is the hardest time for you? In the late afternoon and late at night.

What is your best tip? I have thought about pouring clorox on my food!! but seriously....I think weighing on Mondays is good....helps keep you honest over the weekend!!

Last edited by Whimsey; 08-26-2003 at 07:23 PM.
Closed Thread