Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #1  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Default NSV - flying

A couple of days ago I got back from a trip. I can’t tell you how much I dreaded the airplane trip. My imagination went wild! I pictured a seatmate raising cain because I lapsed over onto their seat and a flight attendant telling me that I had to buy an extra seat. I had a nightmare about being kicked off the plane because I was just too big to fly.

When I boarded the plane I was relieved to see that I was the first person on my row to arrive. I could try on the seat belt without the person next to me watching! It closed and I even had to tighten it. Whew,…. what a relief! My seatmate was a large man, not obese but tall and big. He got settled and I was holding my breath, afraid that I was in his way. After we took off, I realized that he had lowered the armrest. No problem, I didn’t even feel it! I relaxed and then realized that he was spilling over onto my seat. I didn’t care because I was just thrilled that it was not me.

The return trip went well too. Flying will be more comfortable when I get smaller but I am grateful that it went so well this time.

The plane trip and the way that I managed the entire vacation helped me regain the joy that I first felt losing weight. I was able to walk and keep up with everyone else on the trip. I have been so bummed out about the weight I regained that I have not been able to see that I am still so much better off than I was at my top weight. I remembered how happy I was the first time I was at this weight. I felt it again! I think that it will help me keep going and keep feeling the joy.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

I am so happy for you! I have never been on an airplane, ut I am always conscious of how big I am in a chair compared to others around me. I am always wondering how awkward I look in my chair and if others notice. Keep up the good work, and yes you are definitely healthier than you were at your highest weight! Your body appreciates it.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #3  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Isn't that a great feeling!? A lot of my worry over the years is how I'll look, how I'll maneuver various situations, etc. As I lose weight, some of those things become much easier. Way to go!!

You know, even at my highest weight of 310, I was never asked to buy a second seat. I did have a couple very uncomfortable flights because I was so squeezed into my seat that my hips went numb. And I've only had to use an extender three times. Now I'm at a weight that I don't worry about the extender at all.

My goal is to be able to actually put down the tray table flat... it still hits my belly and ends up slanted. I just hold my drink rather than putting it down. Or not get one, depending on the length of the flight.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #4  
One day at a time!

Synger and Brandis,

Thanks for the encouragement! I have never been asked to buy a second seat but it has been 3 or 4 years since I had flown. You hear so much about that. The last time I flew, a flight attendant simply handed me an extender when I entered the plane. Some people would have been offended but I was grateful because I did not have to ask..... and I did need it. Also, I was horrified because I did think that I made a perfect stranger sitting next to me uncomfortable.

Oh, and to my great surprise I was able to put down the tray table. I bet you will be able to the next time that you fly!

It has been a long time since I saw a NSV because I gained some of my weight back. This has really encouraged and revitalized me. I don't fly often but DH and I want to take a major trip in a year or two. Knowing that 20 pounds or so makes a big difference when traveling really motivates me.

Last edited by time2lose; 06-08-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #5  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I'm so glad the trip went well for you Cheryl!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #6  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Yes! Isn't that a great feeling?! I just flew myself. There was extra seat belt, the arm went down, and the tray went the whole way.

That's the biggest relief ever, so I'm super happy for you!

I highly recommend people taking a trip after losing weight because wow what a difference on a plane.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #7  
One day at a time!

Thanks, Vex! We don't have to wait to get to goal to see the benefits of losing weight!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #8  
committed

S/C/G: 299/147/120

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations!
I can absolutely identify with your dread. I'm sitting here cheering for you!
I haven't flown since I've lost weight -- was about 275 last time I flew -- but I'm looking forward to seeing the difference for myself!
piper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #9  
One day at a time!

Wow, Piper! At 148, you will have spare room in the seat. Congratulations on your weight loss! I can't even imagine getting down to 148.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #10  
Starting over...again!

S/C/G: 298.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

That is so awesome! One of these days I hope to experience that too!
HealthyMeWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #11  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

That is so great!!

Last time I flew I was at my highest weight. It was dreadful, I didn't fit well and made many accommodations. I can't wait to fly again!!

This weekend we went on a tour through a cave. They did not warn us that there was a narrow passage. There would have been no way I would have made it through 100 lbs ago!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

I am so happy for you! However, I am also angry that the airline industry has inspired such fear in the hearts of larger passengers. It is horrible to have to worry about being humiliated on an airplane when you are on your way to what should be a relaxing vacation! We spend a long time saving money/miles planning for much needed trips, but yet we must run the gauntlet of airline stewardesses, seatbelts, and fellow passengers before we can enjoy ourselves. Honestly, they make seats as small as possible in order to cram the highest number of passengers onto one plane (smaller seat sizes=more seats able to fit on plane). If they would make seats a bit larger, yes there would be fewer passengers able to board, but passengers could ride in comfort and without fear of embarrassment. Think about all the people who would prefer larger and more comfortable seating. People with small kids, larger people, people with disabilities, etc. It just really sucks that people have to get butterflies in their stomach at the airport, hoping they won't be kicked off or told to buy another seat.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #13  

Hello!

I am new to this and I have a question.

I'm flying in 2 weeks on westjet and I'm so nervous that the seat belt won't fit me. I am 5'2 and weigh about 200 pounds. Has anyone ever experienced this? What do you guys think? Gosh, I'm so worried over here.
slimmingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #14  

Height: 5'5"

At 200 pounds, you should be okay. Have a fun trip!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 302/292/130

Height: 5'1"

I seriously cannot wait for this day! It's been over 5 years since I haven't had to have an extender, and it never gets less embarrassing.

Congratulations, that is seriously an awesome NSV!
devnet is offline   Reply With Quote