Old 05-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 276/270/175

Height: 5'8''

Default Carb Counter Apps

Can anyone recommend a good carb counter iPhone app? I want one where you enter the actual foods and it calculates carbs and protein for you. I've been frustrated with apps like Weight Watchers that are more about processed packaged and fast foods, since I never eat those.

Thanks in advance!
nyc redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 286/262/176

Height: 5'8"

I think the CalorieKing app is pretty good.
collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #3  

I use Lose It! It's not specifically for carb counting, but it's really fast, and the web tracker is even better, plus they sync to each other.
IndigoBanshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 276/270/175

Height: 5'8''

Thanks! I'll check those out!
nyc redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #5  

I've been having a hard time finding just the right app. Ideally, I'd like something that is not linked to any particular program, but has the functionality of something like My Net Diary -- which has great features, like barcode scanning (just scan the product, and the nutritional information will pop up!) -- but will not allow you to customize your daily benchmarks, if they don't comply with their own dietary recommendations (calories-in calculated via BMI, low fat, high carb... etc).

I've been using Low Carb Diet Assistant, which is OK. It's a little clunky and does not have any great resources or features. It has an average, and often inconsistent, food list, that doesn't seem to exactly match up with the food your eating. For instance, it will have maybe 3 listings for heavy whipping cream, as well as a selection of brand name whipping creams. They'll all have different values (some list 0 carbs per serving, and some list 2 carbs per serving... weird!).

I would love to find an app that did these things:

1. Allowed you to customize your daily benchmarks, regardless of the government's daily recommendations or food pyramid or what the app thinks is healthy.

2. Had a recipe creator/calculator, that allows you to insert your recipe ingredients, and determine your own serving size (like Spark People's website)

3. Has a label scanner, like My Net Diary. (I love this feature!)

4. Has an extensive, accurate food list, including brand names and restaurant.

5. Calculates net carbs and sugar alcohols.

Somebody get on this!
ilsita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #6  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

Hahaha ilsita! Me too!

I use carb manager for iPad. It's...meh. The food lists are so flippin weird. I can not find a listing for sf jello...just that alone is so frustrating. It does graph out weight charts, and food logs. I'm not committed to this app though, if something better comes along I'm switching.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #7  
I can do hard things.

S/C/G: 310/ticker,baby/160

Height: 5'7"

I love My Net Diary, too, but it never gets the net carbs right! An Atkins bar that has 2 net carbs inevitably comes up as 10 or more and gets me so confused on my daily count.
swanz is offline   Reply With Quote