Old 06-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias #16

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a bright sun shiny day here in the ♥-Land and I am showered and ready for the day to begin. I think we are going yard sailing after while for we are in search of old kitchen knives that have more of a carbon content in them for they hold an edge better than the stainless ones on the market now days. I have a few of the old ones Chicago Knives that are great. Don’t get me wrong the new knives are nice but I want old ones. Will found one in an old fellows machine shop once and asked the gentleman how much he wanted for it. He said, “That old thing ~ you can have it.” It is one of my favorite ones.

Will is doing a wedding this next Thursday and his new suit is being altered as I type. He is getting a gorgeous dark gray pin stripped one. Boy are they spendy. We forgot how much they cost for it has been awhile since we bought one but he needs some new ones now. He is up for some new dressy wing tips also for which he sends in his foot measurements in to the company and they make them to fit. He has very wide feet and extra high arches so it makes it hard to find ready-made shoes for him. He shouldn’t ever have to buy another pair of wing tips the rest of his life. I am waiting for my brand of SAS shoes to go on sale before I get another pair of the ones I wear for daily use for I have found the shoe that fits my feet the best and buy a new pair every few years for they last me a long time. I have a few cute shoes that work for me but are not as comfortable for daily use but are great for church or “occasions.”

You are going to laugh and shake your head at this ~ but you do know how I like my coffee HOT and my sodas cold. I have ordered “The Best Commuter Cup” that they have found. “They” being Hammacher Schlemmer. I am using the one they advertized that way a few months back but am always looking at the newer better models that come along that they have tested. In testing this cup: hot water decreased in temperature by only 18º F after two hours while lesser models lost up to 71ºF. Its superior temperature retention is due to its dual walls of stainless steel and vacuum insulation that also prevents heat – or cold – transfer to the exterior. It washes easily because of its removable lid and nonporous interior. It kept ice cubes frozen for 36 hours, while other commuter cups allowed ice to melt in six hours. It will be great to drink my Crystal Light mixes in and have them stay cold plus my coffee hot to the last drop. It has a locking spill proof lid, which is great feature. It comes in blue or champagne and I am getting the blue model mainly because it has a black lid where the other has a white one. It will be here in 3 to 6 days.

We just got back from yard sailing and did we ever find some nice things. We got four old folding pen knives that have beautiful handles and carbon steel blades. One is mine for sure for it is ornate decorated silver and @ 2 inches in length with two small blades. It has a bale on one end so I can wear it on a silver chain. Another has a mother of pearl handle which is beautiful also but bigger. We got all 4 antique knives for 6 bucks. No telling how much just the one I will wear as a necklace would cost. At another Will got a well named re-curve bow and a dozen arrows for $25 that we know sold new for over $300. It came with a stand and many tools for the bow. Got a crystal pitcher for a buck and 3 little rubber duckies for a nickel. A couple packing quilts for a quarter that will come in handy when we move. Got a wooden chopping block with legs for 2 bucks that Will is sanding and re-oiling as I type. I forget the name that is burned in with a branding iron on the bottom but it is a top notch piece of maple. It is a small one about a foot square but the right size for me. The lady that we got the knives from has a lot of antiques that she said Will and the museum director can come back and check out for sure. She said she also has some more knives we might be interested in and will have them unpacked when he goes back there. Evidently they just moved here and she has just too much “stuff” to fit into that huge two story house they bought. She didn’t have any knives out on display but it always pays to ask and this time it really paid off. At another place we got a few brand new pieces of Tupperware for kids that will be great shower gifts. I bought a huge well made heart shaped basket that they will look nice in for 2 bucks. We really made out today and didn’t break the bank doing so.

SUSAN I am certainly glad that tornado at least had the deciency to touch down 2 miles away from you. Your cat is a hoot. When Cecil is being scolded he also turns his head like a little kid because he doesn't want to hear it. I gently get his head between my hands and look into his eyes and speak what it is I want him to know.

JEAN Your vacation sounds like fun in the sun to me. Please do try to enjoy your time there between the meals you have to cook.

DONNA FAYE What fun you had with Thomas. Moments to cherish in your memory book. So glad for you that your sandals fit. Perhaps with the air condition in the ship going 24 hours your swelling will stay abated.

Every one have a lovely time on what is left of the Weekend.

Have a great day Magnolias. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-02-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #2  

Good morning, ladies! Another day in the 80s.

I've got a load of laundry in the dryer and then my beading class and wedding reception will finish the day.

Maggie, I have such fun finding bargains at yard sales and thrift shops. I love finding things that I remember my grandmother using when I was growing up.

Faye, what are you up to today?

Have a great one!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #3  

Afternoon girls! It has been booming all day here, but no rain so far. The sun is about halfway out at the moment and it is mighty sticky.

Jack is upstairs in his office playing games on his laptop and I finally finished my dil's first sock and it fits perfectly, well it fits both Jack and I and since his shoe size and her shoe size would be the same and she and I have the same shoe size we are good to go on it. The calf is a smidge loose on Jack, which is good because he has skinny legs and too snug for me to pull up so should fit her just fine. Using a size 1 needle takes a lot more time though and I have 2 1/2 prs of socks to get done before I can go back to my stuff.

I finally got Fortune to eat. He gobbled up the lamb stew by Beneful last night so I guess lamb stew it will be for awhile until I can get him to eat the other stuff. I put his antibiotic in some cheese I warm in my hand and make a ball out of. He has to take that until Wednesday then he is all done with meds again. As for me, this will be my last week on those blasted hormones. I will be so glad to be done with that and readjust my body.

We will be watching the Cubs game in a couple hours, but I want to get some work done before then. It just gets so hot so fast nowadays. The upstairs can be like an oven if I don't turn on the portable ac unit and when no one is up there I can't see wasting the utilities. So, I go up to clean and it is hotter than blue blazes. It cools off just about the time I am done.

Susan: Hope you have a nice time at the wedding reception and the beading class.

Maggie: Sounds you had a grand time yard saling. I am not a yard saler and never have been much. I rarely found anything I wanted. I am not a collector much and back then wasn't knitting. Nowadays, living here it is too hot and sticky to do that.

Jean: Hope you are having a wonderful time with your family today.

Guess, I should get out of here and get some work done. Have a lovely afternoon all. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #4  

Good Evening! Not sure why but had a hard time getting in here. It didn't recognize my password. It's been a lazy day of reading and watching boats go by. Guys are catching fish so they are happy. I'm reading but no personal notes tonight.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #5  

Good morning to you ladies. We had a whopper of a thunderstorm this morning and probably a lot more rain today, but the power never went out, which is always good.

Fortune and I have both taken our meds. Last week for the hormones! Fortune will be done on Wednesday. It is good to see him eating again too.

Jack just left for work. I told him to be careful. People here drive worse in bad weather than in good. Hopefully he will have work that will keep him inside buildings that are cool today. I am going to go upstairs and get the bathroom cleaned this morning. It got so hot yesterday that it was impossible to get up there and clean.

Jean: I like to watch the boats go by too. Are you reading something interesting? I am rereading a Dick Francis book at night before I go to bed to make me sleepy and downloaded a library audio book, but don't know how good it will be. Hope you have great fun with everyone.

Nothing else going on here. We are just biding our time til vacation. We will have Marty for 2 weeks starting the end of the month. The poor little guy is pretty much blind and deaf now and it might be difficult for him to be in a strange place, but I will move things as much as possible so he has clear walkways and such.

Have a good start to your week everyone! Faye
Old 06-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #6  

Good morning, ladies. 80s again today. We had a thunderstorm last night and another on tap for this afternoon. It's the 4th of June and we've had nearly 4 inches of rain this month!

I loved the beading class. I've signed up for one next month to make a beaded scissor case. Another expensive hobby but I'll save by using my Michael's, AC Moore's, and Joanns coupons to buy beading supplies. I've order 4 books today from Amazon - 2 basic beading books and 2 beading on quilts. I can see this is going to add a lot to my applique quilts.

Faye, I know you'll be so glad to be over the meds. I hope they have done the job and your troubles in that area will be over. I'm glad Fortune is eating again. Casper is a good eater. He has to be near me so right now he is curled up on my computer desk napping.

Jean, I love watching the boats. The tall ships are in town this weekend. I look forward to that for sure.

Maggie, hi!

Have a wonderful day. I'm going for my 3 mile walk today. The 5K is this month.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Howdy you lovely ladies. I am a happy camper for I did show a “maintain” at weigh in this day so hopefully the scale will show a pound or so loss next Monday. We took the dogs to the groomer this day on the way out to our favorite nursery to check out some plants. We are going to take out some of the plants at the building and this house and replace them with something more attractive. Plus we are going to put a tree in on the lawn at the side door which faces a street. A tree catty corner from that door will look nice and not interfere with any overhead wires in the alley or the street. The ivy is growing up nicely on the trellis we put around the door on that side of the building. The lawn is so huge that a nice tree out there would be lovely and afford some shade. Anyway we are going to improve the looks of this area. The guy at the nursery said they will keep a running tab for us and then when we are through we can pay for the whole kit and caboodle with one check. Sure will make it easy that way. Will is out now taking measurements then we will go back out there to the nursery and make an order. This is so much fun ~ landscaping. Now that we have the lawn in good shape we can do some planting here and there.

The dogs will probably be ready to be picked up when we are on our way back from the nursery. Cecil is lonely for his buddy Beanie. First thing we will have to do when we relocate to the ranch in Texas is to build a fence to keep our pets in our little yard. My plan is to put down a little plot of turf in that fenced area which will be along the front of our domicile.

SUSAN I have a book BEAD EMBROIDERY, The Complete Guide by Jane Davis of Krause Publications which was published in 2005. I have had it since 2007. If you want it I will be happy to give it to you. Otherwise it is to be sold at a yard sale when we start winding down. Let me know if you want it. I don’t plan to do any beading since I have enough to do with my glass works. I am debating keeping 4 books I have on cloth doll making. I have Cloth Doll Making; Cloth Doll Faces; Cloth Doll Couture; and Doll Beading. The dolls are about 18 to 20 inches tall. I made one a while back and gave it to my daughter and it turned out superb and I would like to make some more. I am toying with the idea of phasing out my glass works and getting into high falutin’ doll making. I already have a lot of the supplies I will need and can get the ones I don’t have at Michaels ~ so that will mean a trip to the big city. What beading I will need to do on the dolls is covered in the doll books.

DONNA FAYE Your vacation time will be here before you know it and you will be off to have fun in the sun. Hope the hot spell abates for you soon for that must be miserble having such a hot upstairs.

JEAN Good to hear you have survived so far. Have fun and let us know how you are doing.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-04-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #8  

Good Evening, Flowers! A morning of mall shopping, lunch at Olive Garden, and an afternoon nap has been my day today.

"Gma" -- I'm reading The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly. I read slow so it takes me a long time to get through his books.

Maggie -- CONGRATS on the maintain today!

Susan -- The beading class sounds like fun.

My iPad took a dump today but I was lucky that my sister knew how to fix it. Now I need to charge it. I'm off to read my book! See you tomorrow!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #9  

Good morning to you all! It is 91% humidity here today. You get wet just walking out the door with no rain. It is one of the things I hate about this area of the country is the high humidity during the summer. You are always sticky and sweaty.

I have the laundry started, the dog fed, my meds taken and will get the dishwasher unloaded in a few minutes. My socks are on the agenda today. I want to make real headway on Jack's first sock. I still have Alicia's other one to knit, but I wanted to see if this yarn I have for Jack's socks will knit up like the yarn I had for Alicia's using the same size needles. So far so good. I had to buy a solid color skein to do the heels and toes though since the one hank was not enough to make a man's pair of socks. I had to try and guess a color to coordinate so I hope they look ok. Jack said not to worry about it as no one sees his heels or toes. I said "What about if you wear them with sandals?" he gave me a withering look and said, "I don't wear socks with sandals." Cracked me up as I have been teasing him about wearing his socks with sandals on the ship with his panama hat and his Hawaiian style shirt.

I am hoping to get my shaper today. I then will have three and I can hand wash them and hang them to dry over night. They do make some difference so it is well worth it for me to wear them all the time. You should see Jack's office. It is piled with the new luggage, clothes we have bought, the folder with the stuff to decorate the door, products I have bought to take with us, etc. I got dramamine last weekend and bought nail polish and remover too. The tan towels came in and I want to try them out and see how they do maybe next week before I go to the doctor.

Susan: I have a beading book for knitting. I have only done one beading job with knitting and that was at the end of a knitted scarf for my dil. I have to say Michaels has some lovely beads I think. I haven't looked at Joann's at all. Glad you are enjoying the class. Fortune has to be touching human flesh if you are sitting down. Drives Kelly nuts when she keeps him because he insists on laying right next to you. He does it when you sleep too, either between your legs or right next to you body and he can get hot!

Jean: Ooooh, I love Michael Connelly both the Harry Bosch series and the Mickey Haller series. Have you read them all? They are well worth reading all of them. He has a new Harry Bosch book coming out in November. I was hoping it would be out before vacation so I could download it to my Kindle, but no such luck.

Maggie: WTG on maintaining. I am so glad I am about done with these pills. My doctor said she was impressed I hadn't gained a lot of weight taking them because they are prescribed for cancer patients to up their appetite. Just what I need something to make me hungry, which they do and sometimes I am successful at fighting it, sometimes, not so much.

I need to get out of here. I want to make progress on that sock today and get my chores done. Have a great day all. Faye
Old 06-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

LATE MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I got up a couple hours earlier than usual these past couple days and it has been OK with me for I felt I had enough sleep. Getting up earlier gives me more time to greet the new day. I went through all my things that I have on hand that are on the list of “must have” for doll making. Surprising how many things I already have in my sewing kit that are on the list. The different dyes and such can be purchased in various stores here and in the “big” city. The local fabric store and Wal*Mart will have some of the items I will need. It will be an adventure gathering all my items together. My books tell me what brand of dyes and such that work best and last longer and not fade to be used for the dolls. I want to round all the supplies up that will be needed before starting a project. I plan on still doing some glass but not nearly as much as before so I do plan on keeping my most used tools for that sort of thing. Since in Texas we will have that “room” for our projects I can leave it all there when we go traveling elsewhere and not have the weight of it all along with us for we don’t want to break an axel. My glass items are heavy and it isn’t prudent lugging all that around the country on each and every excursion when we go adventuring. This day I will be building a glass building for my village. Not sure which one yet but I will make that decision later this day.

Beanie & Ragg Mopp were sleeping out on the couch in the front room and Cecil was asleep on the bed so I figured it a great time to sweep my office. I don’t know what it is about sweeping that calls them out of their sleep but all three wanted to help. Good thing I was just finishing and was putting the broom up when they all came in to supervise and inspect my work. I need to sweep daily because Cecil does get sand from his butt hutt out on the floor and it crunches if you step on it. :smile: There is a cat mat with ridges in it sitting in front of the hut designed to catch the sand but his feet are so huge that he still carries some onto the floor. When we lived in a motor home with Turn we kept his butt hut in the shower and just lifted it out when we wanted to shower. Worked out good that way. We will probably do the same with this cat’s hut and have along a little hand held vacuum to clean the sand up that he leaves in the floor of the shower. BTW they are all back taking their naps. Something about my sweeping wakes them all up.

DONNA FAYE Sounds like your socks are co-operating and you are now on a roll and will get them done in a flash. I remember that humidity when we lived in TN. Not my most favorite memory of that beautiful area we lived in. That is terrific that those meds didn't cause weight gain ~ but you did try your best to hold the line and are to be commended for that great effort.

JEAN Do you sit outside and enjoy the sun while reading? Sounds like you are getting some nice books to endulge in. I have read some of MC's work and like that author.

SUSAN Howdy to you this bright sun shining day.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-05-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is a beautiful day here -- sunny, warm, and NO wind. It has been a lazy day of watching the water, reading, iPad games, and tv. Tomorrow my half-aunt is coming to visit. She is a year older than I and we spent lots of summer days together as kids.

"Gma" -- You got me started on the MC books when you read The Lincoln Lawyer. It sounds like you are getting everything together for your cruise.

Maggie -- Are you going to start making dolls now? We do sit outside on the deck quite often. It is a wrap around on three sides of the house with lots of chairs and tables. Part of it is always shaded as the sun moves around.

I am going for a walk. Guys are fishing, mom is napping, and sister is reading. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Will has cleaned my little 2” long and ¾” wide knife and it is on a chain around my neck now. It is a beautiful little ornate silver thing that is very old and now the two little carbon blades are very sharp. I can imagine some Victorian lady wearing it on a ribbon back then or a gentleman having it on a watch fob. The other three antique knives cleaned up nicely also. I think Will is going to put them in a frame to hang on the wall. He wants spaghetti and meatballs for dinner so that is what I am going to make.

We made a decision to just park the trailer and leave it there when we go on “vacations.” It will be our home to live in. So it really won’t be so critical how much weight we have in it for it will be up on blocks. The plan now is to get a tent trailer for vacation excursions that can be pulled behind the Jeep. It will make it so much simpler that way. We still just want to have our crafty type things in that “room” where we can spread out better to work. However, we still have a lot of things to get rid of during this upcoming year that we don’t need.

JEAN Sounds like a lovely relaxing time at the lake. Yes I am going to start making those dolls after I get all the supplies rounded up. They are so fun looking and the directions are easy enough to follow in the books. I still have some glass things I want to build so am not giving that up completely.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #13  

Good morning ladies. Jack left for work about half an hour ago and I have to get going this morning and do morning chores. I want to really accomplish some stuff with the sock today so will work on it most of the day I think. I am almost to the heel flap so it is coming along.

I have today, tomorrow and Friday and the darn pills are done. I believe they accomplished what they were supposed to, which was stop any and all bleeding or spotting, but boy the price I paid. I am just glad to see the other side of the hill now.

We are sure buzzing right through June, which is ok by me. It makes it closer to cruise time. I have everything on my "buy" list except to get Jack a couple pairs of pajama pants to wear in the cabin and everything on the "ship buy" list except his tux, which we can't order yet. So everything that way is moving right along.

Maggie: Are you guys planning some trips this summer? It will be interesting taking the pets with you I imagine. We are having steak for dinner tonight. I have a funny story about last night's meal. I fixed salmon from a can into patties. Well, I bought a couple cans of pink salmon quite ahile ago, several paydays back in fact, so went to get a can to make sure it wasn't expired before I used it. I looked at the top of the can and it said, "best used by 6-2016!" I guess canned salmon keeps awhile! Anyway, we enjoyed the salmon patties for dinner though it does always stink up the house.

Jean: I forgot I encouraged you to read his books after the Lincoln Lawyer. I love the books. Of course I have a bunch of authors I always read what they write. One of the few authors I will re-read his books is Dick Francis. Don't know why I enjoy British horse racing mysteries so much, but I got hooked on them way back in the late 80's when I was bedridden for awhile. Kelly went to the library and asked the librarian to suggest something and she brought back a couple of his books. Sounds like you are in a lovely area all the way around. Hope you have a nice time the rest of your week.

Well, I better get out of here and get my morning chores done. Have a great day! Faye
Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Warm Wednesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Hope all you wonderful Magnolias are having a happy and healthy day this beautiful day in the neighborhood. I downloaded an app to my Blackberry that will be fun to use when we are out and about ~ a compass. A compass is always good to have and we always have our phones. We do have nice hand held compasses that have good features but I thought it would be a kick to have one in my phone which uses satellite technology. I do need to know which direction is up ya know. In going through a little plastic Plano tackle box I use to keep little useful things in I found I have a mercury filled thermometer which I will put behind the mirror in the bathroom. Do they even make those anymore? This is the neatest little case that has lift out trays and I got it for my “stuff” when we were living in the motor home years back. I called it my “office” for it holds pens, colored pencils, paperclips, rubber bands and such in it that one would keep in a top desk drawer. It measures 11” x 7” and is 4 ½” deep with a nice lid that snaps shut and a handle to carry it by. That is definitely an item that won’t be sold at a yard sale for it is a “keeper.” I think next summer we will start having yard sales and get rid of some of the stuff we won’t be taking to Texas. We have certainly accumulated a lot of things since moving here about 4 years ago. Most of the kitchen appliances we will be keeping for we can put all those we don’t want to have in the trailer on a shelf in that “room” we will have. Will is adamant that we keep that indoor smoker. Those I only use on “occasion” can be sold. I will be able to keep my upright Health-O-Meter scale this time. I do plan on continuing down the road to thin and need to weigh each week. We will mainly be selling furniture and some “stuff” we no longer need. I of course will say “goodbye” to a lot of my stuffed friends that sit on shelves in this room. Someone will want those. So from here on we will be buying only what we plan on taking with us when we move. There is no time like right now to start having the mind set of what to take and what to sell and what not to buy.

Will has gone now to the museum today instead of tomorrow for tomorrow he is to do a wedding. I’ve not yet decided if I will go or not for I don’t know the folks but they did invite me so maybe I should go. Yep, I should go. See how I just talked myself into it. Will’s new pin stripped suit looks so good on him. He will be stilin’. I now need to decide on what I will wear.

DONNA FAYE I hope you have many years ahead without that problem that those pills were supposed to cure. for nearing the end of taking them. We aren't planning any trips this Summer. We prefer to go when school is in so Fall is our best time. We haven't yet decided on just where we will be going. Isn't it amazing that some items do have such a long shelf life.

Knock at the door ~ It was the mail man and he delivered my new cordless electric glass kettle and the Oskar soft brew 44 oz coffee pot that you pour the boiling water in and it brews. I bought these with the trailer in mind and we can try them before actually leaving here. Will may not like the coffee pot for he is the maker of the coffee. We shall see for I canalways use it for brewing tea. There are so many things that boiling water can be used for and I have used a hot pot for many years. This coffee pot (or tea brewer) is the cats meow. It is white porcelin. The stainless insert has such fine holes you cant see them unless you hold it up to the light. I think we will like it fine.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-06-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Recipe

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Magnolias I have a recipe for you if you like pasta salads. I had an old friend that owned an Italian deli out in CA that I got this recipe from and it is very good as a meal along with a nice crusty roll. I was wondering what to do with the leftover spaghetti noodles from yesterday and this is what I came up with. (This can also be made with any pasta you would prefer or have on hand.)

DELI PASTA SALAD
Serves 8 ~ 7 P+
19.6 Fat; 6.7 carb; .6 Fib; 12.6 Prot
Cook 7 ounces of spaghetti noodles.
Rinse in cold water & drain.
In a large bowl combine:
6-oz Jack cheese cut into ¾ inch cubes
6-oz Genoa salami sliced into strips
4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
1 small onion sliced and separated
1 small can sliced pitted ripe olives