South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Question Veggies for breakfast??

Hi all! I am currently debating on South Beach vs Atkins. My husband likes Atkins and lost 100 lbs on it before but then he went off and gained half of it back. I usually just calorie count.

South Beach seems much more appealing to me even though it would be harder to do with DH on Atkins (fattier meats). The only challenge I forsee is the vegetables with breakfast. How do you get those in if you don't drink V8? I'm not a fan of V8. I mean I guess I could see if I could stomach just a little a day but there must be an easier way. I thought about omelettes but I don't think I'd have a half cup in those and I don't have time to make them in the morning before work. Overall I love veggies but its not something I usually associate with breakfast...lol

Any ideas on getting your veggies in at breakfast or can you still do well on the diet if you miss those early morning veggies?

Thanks in advance!
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

a half cup of veggies is a pretty small serving.
Here's a blog post with some ideas - veggie frittattas that you make ahead, sweet potato spread, avocados (I love these for breakfast with 2 hardboiled eggs)

http://www.momtastic.com/cooking-rec...s-at-breakfast
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi Elizabeth! You don't HAVE to have veggies for breakfast.it's just a suggestive way of spreading out your 4 1/2 cups requirement for the day. You may eat whatever you want for breakfast or any meal as long as it's on-plan and ok for the phase you are on.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

That makes me so happy cottagebythesea!!! I have no issues eating tons of veggies at lunch (big spinach salad) or with dinner usually a salad and then veggies on the side. But veggies for breakfast was throwing me! Thanks!

seagirl- Thanks for the link! I was thinking of some sort of fritta i could make in advance or something that might work but that's the only thing I could think of. Thanks for the ideas!
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #5  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Sometimes I make veggie wraps with whole wheat tortillas or pitas (Phase II).

I'll sautee a mixture of veggies (usually onions, red/green bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, maybe others) in olive oil or smart balance. Place it in the tortilla with 1 TBSP reduced fat cheese (provolone, cheddar, parmesan) and sometimes I'll slice cucumbers and put them in the wrap. Occasionally I'll put a little salad dressing on them as well (I make my own "ranch" dressing). It's pretty good and helps get my veggies in for the day.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 06-06-2012 at 01:09 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #6  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

ALSO - something I learned from this board - you can make smoothies with yogurt, fruit (after Phase 1), nut butters, etc and sneak in a LOT of spinach, which oddly enough pretty much disappears unless you are stuffing the blender full of spinach. I this trick! {ETA: I saw that link mentions green smoothies - yay! They are more "disturbingly brown" if you mix spinach and blueberries but still delish! oh and I just have a regular blender and the spinach chops up really finely...}

I often don't eat veggies for breakfast. Steel-cut oats or Greek yogurt with berries is a favorite of mine.

Good luck!

Last edited by EmmaD; 06-06-2012 at 01:25 PM.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote