South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 11:51 AM   #1  

Default CARROTS - Ph 1?????????

I know carrots are not on the foods to enjoy list but I had a bag of cole slaw and thought I would make a soup with V8 and some veggies to pump up my veggie intake. After putting it all together in pot I realized that there are carrots in the slaw mix. I tried pulling most of them out - the nutritional info on bag states 3 g sugar and 5 carbs. Is this small amt of carrots going to be ok or Should I just freeze the whole batch until ph 2? Thanks for you help. (I have been following the plan faithfully for 6 days)
Old 08-23-2003, 12:00 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just go ahead and enjoy it! This is not Atkins where we worry about carbs putting us out of ketosis. I think there is actually a Phase I recipe with carrots in it although they are not on the list!
Sounds like a good soup. Remember that you can add certain beans to it to make it more of a meal - with a bit of low fat Parmesan on to? Yum! hey, and it should freexe well for school lunches.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:03 PM   #3  
In Control: E+R=O

The small amount of shredded carrots in the slaw mix won't be a problem. Even though carrots have a relatively high GI, raw carrots are better than cooked ones, and from what I've read you'd have to really eat a lot of raw carrots to have any significant impact. I've eaten them throughout Phase 1 and 2 (small amounts shredded in cole slaw and broccoli slaw), and never had a problem. Enjoy your soup, it sounds yummy (great idea)!
Old 08-23-2003, 12:08 PM   #4  
Imagine...

All this talk about slaw, I want some. Anyone have a good recipe? I tackled the strawberries successfully. Now it's on to slaw. TIA.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:14 PM   #5  

Thanks all. Guess I will keep on cooking and yes I thought it would work well to take for lunches too. What kind of beans would you add?
I used can ff chicken broth, lg can V8 juice, bag cole slaw, pkg froz spinach, celery, spices, pkt splenda.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:13 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I have added kidney beans, chick peas or black beans. It adds fiber and also protein and satisfies carb cravings.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:43 PM   #7  

That sounds like a good lunch recipe ... maybe with kidney beans and a little chili powder ....
Old 08-24-2003, 10:21 PM   #8  

I agree. That is what I am taking tomorrow. I added some white northern beans. Not too bad.
Also, I just have to pat myself on the back. I went to a shower today and it was a buffet with loads of goodies - I had quiche (did not eat crust) and caesar salad and completely bypassed the loaded dessert table. The funny thing was I really was OK with it and I mean I am a BIG, BIG dessert person. Feel pretty good about that.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:10 AM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

Sflake, I have a great recipe for coleslaw. You drive to the grocery store, look around in the produce section, and pick up a bag of ready-made. It's not worth making it. (advice from the woman who HATES the kitchen) Just add whatever you like to it. I eat it everyday.

School Sec, I love the soup idea!! And congratulations on restraining yourself at the shower.
Closed Thread