Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #1  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Default Pear shaped ladies, talk to me!

Hey!

Well I have that stereotypical Latin/Mediterranean build where I carry it in my butt and thighs. I have 20-30lbs to go. My bodyfat without the thigh measurement is 23.5 which is the low side of normal; with the thigh, it's 28.5... I know the thighs are going to be the last to go, but I just thought I'd ask some of you ladies with the same issues how their legs look now that you're finished. Did you have to lose more than expected to get your legs to look better? What about skin? (The skin over my knees sags down, makes me NUTS!).

Just asking for some hope for folks who have been there!
fyreflie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #2  
GI in training

Height: 5"7

Hey hey, fellow pear-shaped lady here (grr). Well I've lost 4 stone and my thighs started off at 25 or 26 inches and are now 20. I'm not going to lie, I've still got upper thigh bulge/jiggle and although people tell me they don't notice, it bothers me still! I did put my weight on fairly quickly so I had stretchmarks on my innerthighs which have made the skin not as firm as I would like (hence the jiggle). Like you've said, you are aware that your thighs will be the last to go and I'll confirm that my thighs were the last place to start shrinking and I found it quite depressing losing my boobs first but my thighs are catching up and weight training is helping tone my arms (bye bye bingo wings) and squats are certainly helping tone my legs! I know It'll take A LOT of effort to get rid of those stubborn bits because that's my natural shape but I am doing my best and my thighs don't look half as bad as they did!! You can't even really tell when I wear tights. I'll post pics when my post count is high enough to do so :-)
Let me know if you have any questions :-)

Edit: If you click on my name there is a pic of me...

Last edited by Butterfly1987; 04-13-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Butterfly1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Hi,
I also have large thighs, they have just started shaping from outer side. I started feeling my bone. But, from inner side, there are bulges.
But, how do you measure your body fat without thighs?
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #4  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

I have 11 lbs to goal. My thighs are finally starting to go, but they're by far the fattest and most jiggly part of my body still, especially my upper thighs. I wish I could shift some of that fat up, because I've barely got a butt anymore!
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm definitely a pear too! I would say that I now feel that I'm starting to look ok on the lower part of my body. I'm sure it's not anywhere near perfect, but who cares? It's good enough for me and my hubby. I do have some jiggle in my inner thighs but really, it's not that noticeable and I don't wear short skirts because I feel like my legs are still too thick for that....but overall, I'm quite happy! Originally, I wanted to weigh 155 or below and now, I'm really hoping to weigh somewhere between 142-145. We'll see about that, but I can honestly say that you'll know when it's time to stop because you'll feel so much confidence.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #6  

THANK YOU!

Bodyfat is normally measured with arm, hip, stomach measurements for women. My nutritionist said I'm definitely the except and someone for whom the traditional method doesn't work.

The part that makes me NUTS is the skin hanging over my damn knees! I could live with a lot but that's just ugly. We leave for the beach in 10 weeks and it's going to break my heart if I don't feel good in a bathing suit after 10 months of work. That said, everyone who will be there will be awesome but still. Between cycling and yoga, I can see some real definition UNDER the blubber, I'm just waiting to see the real legs! My husband said my legs look better at this weight now than they have when I was this weight previously, but oy veh, patience is not one of my strongest suits. If bathing suits aren't bad enough, bike shorts are pretty unflattering too! Thank goodness for below the knee knickers!

Thanks again for chiming in. I really appreciate it!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Have you tried weight training? I was a pear when I was heavy, but as I lost weight with strength and weight training it helped balance me out and I was an hourglass.

I still have thick thighs (my waist is 24" and my thighs are 20"!) but I think they're mainly muscle at this point. If you poke them you have a small layer of extra skin and then BAM hard stuff. I probably just kept all the muscle I had from being obese because I weight trained and did lots of spinning allll the way down.

Last edited by sontaikle; 04-14-2012 at 01:10 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #8  
GI in training

Yep, weight training should help - I'll second that! That's what I'm doing :-)
Old 04-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #9  

I'm doing copious amounts of yoga and cycling. I replaced weight training with yoga because it was a better bang as far as overall benefits. I have insane muscle UNDER the damned fat LOL!

Last edited by fyreflie24; 04-15-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly1987 View Post
Hey hey, fellow pear-shaped lady here (grr). Well I've lost 4 stone and my thighs started off at 25 or 26 inches and are now 20.
Edit: If you click on my name there is a pic of me...
How much is a stone again?

And OMG I'd KILL for your legs! Congrats! I saw your goal post, well done!

Last edited by fyreflie24; 04-14-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #11  
GI in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyreflie24 View Post
How much is a stone again?

And OMG I'd KILL for your legs! Congrats! I saw your goal post, well done!
1 stone = 14lbs and thank you! They don't look good without tights but ho hum.. they're a lot better than they were!
Old 04-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #12  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

My thighs are the only thing keeping me from calling it *goal* right now!!! I'm thin everywhere else, but those darn things don't wanna budge!!!

I must say, the knee hangy stuff went away with weight training. I'd like the same situation to cease in my upper inner thighs, too!!!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
My thighs are the only thing keeping me from calling it *goal* right now!!! I'm thin everywhere else, but those darn things don't wanna budge!!!

I must say, the knee hangy stuff went away with weight training. I'd like the same situation to cease in my upper inner thighs, too!!!
I have a feeling I'm going to be ok at 145 but need to go to 135 for this exact reason! And thanks for the info on the above knee 'hangy stuff' (omg that's perfect!). I'm thinking yoga and cycling should help

I get totally inspired every time I see your bathing suit pix btw! OMG that's an adorable look on you!

Last edited by fyreflie24; 04-15-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #14  
Nutella Girl

S/C/G: 197 / 135 / 140

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Exactly. No matter what I do, I keep losing from my boobs and my waist. Luckily, I've lost some arm fat over the past month (another problem area) but the hips and thighs barely go down at all. I feel like I'm just going to have to live with it
However, I agree with the weight training bit. Doing squats and lunges have made them look way better. I can see muscle definition so it isn't as bad.
imperialistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 146/138/120

Height: 5'2 1/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyreflie24 View Post
I'm doing copious amounts of yoga and cycling. I replaced weight training with yoga because it was a better bang as far as overall benefits. I have insane muscle UNDER the damned fat LOL!
I'm right there with ya! I have about 10 lbs to go, basically my goal is to lose the belly button pouch and get rid of these thunder thighs!

I loveeee my yoga, and my instructor gave me a tip to help with the above the knee area! When you're doing yoga stretches-try and be "active" in the stretch. Example: when doing a forward fold, lift your toes and knee cap! It's helped tone that area on my leg and has helped strengthen that area for me in yoga too!
aleigh3890 is offline   Reply With Quote