Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 02:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Exercise Tapes

Hey, could you all who do exercise tapes list your favorite ones in this thread? It's sheer laziness, I know, but it's a PITA to go back through the exercise threads to find what everyone likes. So I thought if we put it all in one thread, then people like me would have an opportunity to look at what tapes "the pros" like. Maybe they could be divided into aerobics, weights, stretching, yoga, etc. so we know what they are? Or maybe there's a better way to divide them??

I know I would appreciate it, and I bet there are others, especially lurkers, who are interested in tapes, but need some guidance on what to get.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-23-2003, 02:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

aerobics: i am a minna lessig addict. my favorite is minna's emergency workout. i also have fat eliminator and strength & grace, and would gladly add more to my collection.

my other favorite is my kath smith kickboxing tape. i get a great workout out of that one.

yoga: denise austin's fat burning yoga. it's not just calm, stretching, it's a workout too. sweating and all. i like that.

those are my favorites. i have a few others that aren't too exciting. sometimes you just have to get a bunch and you end up liking somemore than others. i got most of mine off half.com, so they were pretty cheap.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:33 PM   #3  

Sheila,

(btw, did you get the pm I sent?)

I'm a exercise video/junkie! I'm on my way out, but I'm off from work this week, and will gladly make a list for you.

What kind of cardio do you like? Do you like very simple aerobics, or more dance type? or step (can't help you with step, I'm a klutz, and won't try it)

Would you like to try yoga or strength training?

Take care and good luck
Sherry
Old 08-23-2003, 07:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 277/270/150

Height: 5'3"

I am doing The Firm BSSS1 and it is wonderful. I have been doing it for 3 weeks and am already seeing results.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Sherry, I know what you mean about step. I took a step class once (because it was at the right time for my schedule) and never used the step. The instructor didn't mind and I was able to do all the moves so it worked out well.

I like the dance aerobics a lot, and I'd love to try some "yoga light." I'd like to do strength training, too. I have a set of bands, but I don't use them much. I do weight training at a gym, but I'd like to add more to that at home.

So, I can't wait to see your list--thanks!
Old 08-23-2003, 11:26 PM   #6  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I have an ancient Buns of Steel 3 tape which is 10 years old but it seriously kicks butt and it isn't so fast that you can keep up. I get really wiped out by part of the squat routine and usually sweating buckets by then.

I also have some new videos, Yoga for Dummies and Pilates for Dummies which I really like too. Tons tougher than what you might think. Good for beginners though.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:43 AM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I have an ancient Cindy Crawford tape that I love to death. The cover is blue & she's in a red swimsuit.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:47 AM   #8  

I know I'm in the minority here, but I still love my old Richard Simmons tapes. It might just be because I'm so comfortable with them, but they're still my favorites.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:21 AM   #9  

mthrgoos-

You're not in the minority- I just did one this morning (dance your pants off) ...and I also just bought his Sweatin to the Oldies box set on DVD. So you're not the only one. They're fun! I don't want anyone else to see me doing them, cause I probably look like an idiot, but that's okay!

Sherry
Old 08-24-2003, 10:45 AM   #10  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

because I am super lazy! - I like the Leslie Sansone - "walk away the lbs" - for me, it's a work out. She shows different ways to do it based on your level. I bought the dvd that has the 1 mile and the 2 mile. Bought my weights at shopko for !.50 each. I only do it about once a week.

Dana
Old 08-24-2003, 11:42 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

As another video junkie I thought I'd add in few of my favs.

I have an ancient Buns of Steel Platinum series, 3 of them I think that are really difficult. The aerobics part I can get through but the toning section on the last half is instanely difficult. Not quite ready to tackle that.

My favorite right now is my Taebo series, it's the only aerobic workout I've done that works everything, it's almost like weight training and cardio in one. You definitely feel your abs afterwards. Anything that I see this kind of results with this fast is going to be the favorite although it is pretty instense the first few times you do it.

Holly thanks for the website info, I'm going to go see what I can find over there.

Tummy
Old 08-25-2003, 05:39 PM   #12  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I have a little of everything.

I like dancy stuff, so I do Richard Simmons Sweat and Shout (using to be Sweating 4), Donna-Mite, The Method: Afro-Brazilian Cardio, Kathy Smith's Latin Cardio, and Bellydance Slimdown.

I also have a couple of Leslie Sansone's walking tapes when I don't want to have to think very hard during my workout. The movements are easy to follow (but they still you hard!)

Then I have more "traditional" aerobics tapes. The New You with Linda Evans was one of my first. Don't think it's still in print but it's a great beginning tape if you can find it used. They teach you a lot about how to modify movements to fit your level. And it's VERY encouraging. I use Kathy Smith's Fat-burning Workout a lot. It's an oldie but I'm pretty sure it's still available. Very thorough. When I'm short on time or after I've lifted and I want only a half hour cardio, I do basic Tae-Bo.

I have The Firm Basic Fatburning and Your Personal Best with Elle Peterson, which both use circuit training with weights.

I just bought another Leslie Sansone walking tape and another circuit tape (I don't remember what it is off the top of my head), but I haven't done them yet.

Then, for the mind-body stuff, I have AM/PM Yoga, a collection of Lilas Yoga, a basic Tai Chi tape (which I seldom use), and a new Pilates for Dummies tape. I also have Beginner's Stretch by Tamilee Webb, which is WONDERFUL.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:09 PM   #13  
Healthy and Positive!

I absolutely love the Sansone videos. I think they are the reason that I've stuck with my program since February. You don't have to be coordinated at all to do them, but they give you an excellent workout. Since I'm back teaching now I get up at 5 am (oh, boy does it hurt about 8 pm!!) and do one of the three mile tapes. I alternate between the 3 mile for abs and the one for arms. I do the 4 mile super challenge (Love it!!) on the weekends because I have more time.

Hugs,
Crystal
Old 08-27-2003, 02:20 PM   #14  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

thanks for the advice chystal.. I am still just doing the 1 mile tape... and that is still a workout. I am hoping by the end of Sept to work my way up to the 2 mile tape.
How often are you doing the tapes? everyday?
Old 08-27-2003, 03:51 PM   #15  
Healthy and Positive!

Slimdown,
Since I've been back at school I work out Monday thru Saturday and take Sunday off. I'd like to workout everyday but somehow on Sunday by the time I get up and get going, it's time to get ready for church! LOL, I guess we do need to rest and relax some too though!

You'll be ready for the 2 mile in no time! And then the three and the four, lol!! Good luck!
Closed Thread