Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 05:53 AM   #1  

Smile Rate My Diet

I am 14 and I recently decided to start losing some serious weight
This is my diet and excerise plan.
MTWTHSS( Not Friday)

Breakfest : 1 piece whole wheat toast w/ 1 scoop of Jiff
peanut butter

8 Oz Gatorade or Tropican Orange Juice or Water

Lunch : a chef salad w/ cucumbers,tomtatoes,grilled chicken

1 and 1/2 of salad dressing ( ranch or french)

8 Oz Gatorade or Tropican Orange Juice or Water or Diet Soda

Dinner : Bowled chicken with no skin or bowled hamburgers

with 2 teaspoons of ketchup or stemmed brocilli with no butter

Excerise - Morning : 10 pushups, 50 crunches, 50 arm reaches,
50 calve raises

Exercise - Afternoon : 10+ pushups, 50 crunches,50 arm reachers,
50 calve raises, 20 minute run on treadmill at about
3.7- 4.0 speeds,

Excerise - Evening : 10 pushups, 50 crunches, 50 arm reaches,
50 calve raises

How is this diet and can I lose alot of weight? BTW I am 5'7
250 pounds and I want to come down to about 189 or lower.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

Pls keep in mind that I am not a doctor.

I wonder if maybe Gatorade isn't the best choice for you? Perhaps old fashioned water is your best bet.

Maybe instead of drinking the juice, you can eat the regular fruit--pulp/skin and all.

I think you might want to add a bit of variety in your exercise regiment. Unless you're really dedicated, I wonder if maybe you won't get burned out (or bored silly)? Maybe walking or a video of some sort?

I think the best thing is that you are conscious of what you put in your mouth and that you are moving. Those are the key elements, I think. Good luck and I wish you a healthy lifestyle change
Old 08-24-2003, 12:53 PM   #3  

Default Re: Rate My Diet

Quote:
Originally posted by CodeRed2110
I am 14 and I recently decided to start losing some serious weight
This is my diet and excerise plan.
MTWTHSS( Not Friday)

Breakfest : 1 piece whole wheat toast w/ 1 scoop of Jiff
peanut butter

8 Oz Gatorade or Tropican Orange Juice or Water

Lunch : a chef salad w/ cucumbers,tomtatoes,grilled chicken

1 and 1/2 of salad dressing ( ranch or french)

8 Oz Gatorade or Tropican Orange Juice or Water or Diet Soda

Dinner : Bowled chicken with no skin or bowled hamburgers

with 2 teaspoons of ketchup or stemmed brocilli with no butter

Excerise - Morning : 10 pushups, 50 crunches, 50 arm reaches,
50 calve raises

Exercise - Afternoon : 10+ pushups, 50 crunches,50 arm reachers,
50 calve raises, 20 minute run on treadmill at about
3.7- 4.0 speeds,

Excerise - Evening : 10 pushups, 50 crunches, 50 arm reaches,
50 calve raises

How is this diet and can I lose alot of weight? BTW I am 5'7
250 pounds and I want to come down to about 189 or lower.
Someone I can relate to very well When I was 15 I was 6'1 275. So you and I have a lot in common. This is how I would adjust you diet, and I would like to echo the lady above me who cautions that we are not doctors. But I have had some experience in nutrition. Also, if you can, cross reference your ideas with a dietician and/or doctor

Breakfast: No real need to use Gatorade. When you sweat, your body loses more than just water, it loses electrolytes. Gatorade replenishes both of these. Unless you are coming in from a good run in the morning to have breakfast, no need for it. Stick to water (cannot emphasise this enough..drink TONS of water throughout the day), or have some calcium and vitamin D infused orange juice. Your body is still developing and needs vitamins.

Toast and PB isn't bad, see if you can add either eggs or fruit into the mix as well.

Lunch- Your ideal lunch sounds great. Try to go light on the salad dressing, or do what I do (I acquired a taste for this) use Balsalmic Vinegar for added flavor. Good Stuff!

Knock out the Diet Soda. Stick to the water, crystal light, or something of the kind. Try to stay away from juices, since its high in fructose.

Dinner: Sounds good again. Try to mix it up with a potato, salad, fish, etc..try to focus on protein, more so than carbs, but don't neglect carbs. It's all about portion control.

Exercise: Be careful of over training. If you can target those exercises to do once a day, and space it out when you are doing them, you should be fine. If you can, do the treadmill in the morning. I know you're 14, and I know it's tough but if you can't do it then, then make time later like you are doing. But the key to this is CONSISTENCY. You have to do it almost every day. Basically you are programming your body to get used to something and if you get off track, your body will not take to it.

You will lose weight, if you eat smart, space out your meals, and focus on staying consistent with that treadmill. Wear good shoes too. Don't skimp on that or your knee joints will take a beating. Good luck with your diet!

Old 08-25-2003, 02:25 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Just IMO - real briefly:

Cut out the gatorade and juice - ya don't need the extra sugar - sugar makes you crave even more sugar and makes you fatter. While you're at it, ace the ketchup too - that's pure sugar - along with the ranch and french dressings which are also mostly sugar and trans fats - there ARE good dressings out there - check out Newman's Own Italian, made with olive oil. Instead of OJ, have an orange instead - less sugar and you get all the good stuff from the fruit - the fiber and betacarotene - and it'll keep you filled up longer.

If you're going to use peanut butter, keep it natural (Jif, Skippy, Peter Pan, etc. have sugar and trans fats added to them) and use sparingly. Many folks think of peanut butter as protein - nope - it's a FAT, a healthy fat but one that should be used sparingly.

You need more protein - especially in the morning. Try having a couple of eggs, and instead of toast how about some oatmeal? (REAL oatmeal - not those sugary, salty, instant oatmeal packets.)

Exercise - doing the same exercises three times a day every day is not going to work out in the long run IMO (you'll soon get bored and quit)...personally, at your weight, you should focus more on cardio (I'd personally do 40 minutes - starting with a 3-minute warmup - then part of it in intervals - run all-out for 30 seconds, then jog and rest for 1 minute, repeat as many times as possible - follow with a 5-10 minute cooldown jog) and some weight training.

The TRUE key to permanent weight loss is getting OUT of the Diet Mindset and working on making healthy, PERMANENT lifestyle changes - in both eating AND exercise. Trust me - I've learned through trial and error - there is no magic pill...just learn as much as you can about nutrition and exercise (at the Ladies Who Lift forum below the Exercise forum here I've posted some great links to check out - I HIGHLY recommend Krista Scott Dixon's site at http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html for LOTS of free, unbiased info) and turn your mind off to the 'quick fast weight loss' ads, infomercials, scams, etc. Slowly and surely is the key
Closed Thread