Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 05:28 AM   #1  

Default Time For Serious Fun #21

TIME FOR SERIOUS FUN #21

We are a thread dedicated to making losing weight a pleasant experience. We laugh, cry and talk together. We have challenges, points for staying on program, drinking our water, and exercising. We have a daily topic to join in. Our only focus is to help us realize that dieting and all that goes with it need not be unpleasant, but can be fun. Come join the fun here at Time for Serious Fun! Everyone is Welcome!

TOPICS:

Monday: Mission Monday New mission each week
Tuesday: Target Tuesday We target something to work on
Wednesday: Wednesday's Woes Our day to complain about anything and everything
Thursday: Time for Us Thursday The day set aside to pamper us!
Friday: Fabulous lbs Down Friday We get to crow about loss or ask for help
Saturday: Sunny Thoughts Saturday We share stories and jokes to help us smile
Sunday: Silly Poll Sunday A new poll to give your thoughts to every week

POINTS VALUES:

STAYING ON PROGRAM IS 2 POINTS
DRINKING YOUR WATER IS 1 POINT
EXERCISING IS 1 POINT

CURRENT CHALLENGE IS UNTIL AUGUST 31ST. TO LOSE 10 LBS BY THEN.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:45 AM   #2  

FRIDAY: It's Fabulous lbs down Friday! Start bragging girls, your weight loss for the week the month whatever! We want to know how you are doing!

Good morning ladies!

Sandy: We missed you lots and hope you can post regularly now and we can get some of that weight off you!

Missy: Here goes with the old lady messing in your love life again. First off, do you LOVE #1? I mean if he was going to ask you to marry him, he must love you. What would you have told him when he asked? Secondly, do you value the relationship? If so, REPAIR it! If not, you still need to apologize to the man IF the thought between you was that you would be mutually exclusive, which I get the feeling you did not feel because you were seeing someone else. Even so, if HE thought that, you should apologize for leading him to believe it was. If you want to repair this, there are two things you need to do and immediately: as the Brits say, "tell #2 to bugger off" and TALK TO #1! It ain't a gonna be easy, but when we screw up, we have to take our medicine. Now before you think I am some kind of Dr Phil, I have to say I have had ONE and only ONE serious relationship and that is with Jack. I have had only one sexual relationship and that is with him and only had a couple dates when I was 14 and none in high school until Jack so I am not a wealth of experience with different men. I AM an expert on how to make a relationship work. It is damn hard and the only way to fix something you have done is to talk about it. If he refuses to talk to you, don't give in. Keep calling or going to see him and demand he at least hear you out. I don't believe in the waiting crap. You do that for all you know he may think it really is over. He sounds like a very decent man and decent men are in short supply so I would think hard about it! As for the pickle incident , they are pretty good for you and as they are cucs have a lot of water and very little cal so I wouldn't worry about it. YOU STILL GET A: for points!

I GOT A: for points!

Don't forget that today still counts! We only have one day and we will have made our challenge by 100%!

I am down 8 lbs for the week as of early this morning!

Well, ladies, you are all still in bed and here I am typing at 4 in the morning so I am going to goooooooooo!

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 08-22-2003 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:45 AM   #3  

Morning Ladies,

Felt like I was just here a few mins ago, short night!! well not have time to take a nap, but I am sooooo sleeeepy!!
Didn't sleep well at all crazy dreams, "unresolved" of course....Jane and I had a heart to heart last night, and I had the opportunity to say somethings I had been wanting to say, when you have stuffed down your emotions and feelings with food so long, sometimes it is difficult to articulate all you are feeling..I feel like my approach was all wrong, but my feelings were real, know what I mean? Anyway, I know we will talk over the weekend, and I feel sure we will work it out. I made a comittment to her 8 years ago, and this is the most "stable" I have ever been in my life, so I am not going anywhere!! It is a scary thing sometimes for me to talk about my feelings, face to face anyway, much easier to write them out, I wrote her a letter to kind of get the ball rolling, and the way she perceived it was not the way it was intended at all. She wrote back and I could hear the hurt in her voice and the anger, then she just went to bed, without talking to me. but, thankfully she got up and we talked some, but we have more talking yet to do. But, I say all of this to let you all know THAT I DID NOT OVEREAT OVER IT, NOW THAT IS PROGRESS!!! I HAD MY FRUIT FOR MY SNACK AND THAT WAS IT! It just really amazes me how strong I am becoming, and I know that with each passing day I am getting stronger!! And I am most grateful!!!

pts for yesterday: 2pts for program, 1 pt for water, and 0 for exercise, but I intend to use Sunday as my make up day never fear!! I am on it...don't have a loss to report this wk, because haven't weighed since 8/7 but I will by 8/31 I think. (not scheduled to see dietician till 9/18, and I know I cannot possibly wait that long, I get to excited and want to check my progress

so, the plan today is breakfast in just a few, I am hungry!!, then exercise video, and then run errands before work at noon....then grocery store after work, got to stock up on all my goodies, water, fruit, veggies, and chicken, you all know the stuff!! Got to make sure I have it all here, so I am not tempted to stray!!! If you know what I mean....

Congrats Faye, on your weight loss, that is fabulous!!!! you are such the inspiration!!!

come on girls, the rest of you rise and shine!! (guess most of you are heading off to work about this time already, uh?? My schedule is certainly not the norm!! off at 8p tonight and back in the am at 6:30a----ugh!!!

later chicklets, here's to all of you and hope you have a wonderful day!!!
Old 08-22-2003, 09:00 AM   #4  

Good Friday Morning Sleepyheads!
Faye, I can't believe how early you get up!! Must be all that revved up metabolism or something.

Well, I'm still 100% for points yesterday. I can't believe I've been good for so long.....four whole days! I don't want to be the one to break the score! I've been seriously "head hungry" the past two days. Think I'm pmsing.

I wasn't going to weigh myself this morning, but the scale was sitting there in the corner calling my name. I was just curious, since I've been 100% all week, to see if I actually lost anything at all. Well, it said I'm 238 or 239. That's about 2 pounds off from last week, and about 4 pounds total since I signed on here 3 weeks ago. It seems like so little!

I have to admit, I get so jealous of you gals with your 8 pounds off, and 5 pounds off per week. It's not a bad jealousy, because I'm honestly so happy and proud of you all.....I just have to keep telling myself a few things.
1) Even though I weigh alot, I'm still VERY fit. I have tons of muscle underneath the fat. My mother and I weigh exactly the same, and we look nothing alike! I can teach a two hour dance class, put on heavy armor and beat the snot out of a bunch of men, I can swim for miles........all that means that weight is going to come off slowly.
2) two out of the three weeks I've been with you all, I've had extended family visits. We always eat more and exercise less when there's company around. So, the fact that I've lost anything is still good.
3) I'm starting to lift weights heavily, which is adding muscle mass (and we all know what that does to the scale!)
4) I've had an extremely stressful year......dh got laid off, then he got another job but it was a 2 hour commute each way, so we had to sell our farm (which meant a complete overhaul of the house from wiring to paint in a matter of 3 weeks), then once we did sell--the house we were going to buy fell through, so we had to live in a friend's basement for 6 weeks while we found another one.) There were no farms for sale in the new area, so I had to get rid of my babies (6 sheep, 2 lambs that I delivered with my own two hands). Now I'm adjusting to living without the farm, the kids have no friends yet because school hasn't started.......Oh, and now I'm having nightmares about the new school because they came from probably the best school in the state and I'm worried about the quality of the new one!

Sooooo, given all that, I'm doing just fine. But it sure would be nice to step on the scale next week and have ten pounds gone! Just ain't gonna happen, I know.....

Thanks for letting me work things out in my head........I know it sounds an awful lot like whining!

Keep up the great work everyone!!

Later,
Julie
Old 08-22-2003, 09:08 AM   #5  

Pam: YOU GET A: for points because you had exercised on your "day off." I am so glad you did not let your emotional upheavel lead you to food!

Julie: YOU GET A: for points. That is one of the reasons I made the challenge. Who wants to be the first to say, I broke the chain? I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. No one can understand better than I . When dh retired from the Navy, he got a job in Indiana that paid poorly but it was all he could find. He had it for 7 years and they laid him off (age but they gave him a severance and made him sign a no sue agreement and we HAD to have the money to live on), then the only job he could get was in Chicago which is a 2 hour commute EACH way! We spend 200$ a week on gas and tolls! After 2 years he got laid off there, then had 5 different jobs in 3 years and kept getting laid off. His last job in Indiana was with a company that had 6 employees and the guy offered him 4$ an hour less than he had been making no benefits no vacation nothing! He took it, but when Thomas was born we mulled over moving down here. We didn't particularly like Memphis as we had lived here twice before, but we needed better opportunity. We had never owned a home because we plain couldn't afford it and our credit was grotesque and still is though I am working little by little at it. Jack was without a job down here for 6 months and we lived on my tiny paycheck and his Navy retirement that was only enough to pay the rent with a $100 left over. We lived in one of the nastier parts of Memphis in a nice little house with wonderful landlords and Jack got the city of Memphis job. It pays $15 an hour more than the last job he had in Indiana, great benefits and he is even pensioned. All he has to do is work 10 years though he will probably work longer. We bought the condo in a land contract kind of deal from our kids and found a reputable company on line to take up a note for a new car in exchange for a higher interest rate. We are pulling ourselves up little by little and I just know things will get better for you too! Hang in there and you know we are all here for you. As to the weight loss: Keep reminding yourself that you are building up heavy duty muscle and replacing fat so maybe instead of scales you should go for inches lost! All that really matters is that you are getting healthier and can feel it and I know you do!

I got on that glider and did 15 tough minutes! My hip was killing me after 2 but I stayed on and it quit aching then my feet started to hurt because I am flat footed completely and just had my "take out the trash" Payless sneakers on. Teach me to put my New Balance on when using the thing. I want to work up my stamina before fall sets in and I have to use it exclusively but am still going to do my hour in the pool today in about an hour or so.

There are several ladies here that are going through some time of a relationship problem. Some might be small and others might be big, but they are all difficult to deal with no matter what. I have found that the best solution for problems is the full face approach. You cannot gain anything by pretending it will go away because it won't and fighting about it loses the problem completely. Don't get me wrong, Jack and I have had some doozys over the years, but we rarely fight anymore. We get peeved at each other, but it drives Jack and I nuts to be mad at each other so it never lasts long even the really angry ones. If we get into an argument and let's say are not speaking when he goes to work, I wil GUARANTEE you that at 10 o'clock the phone will ring and it will be him. Now I have found one thing about men. They tend to tell you they are "Sorry we got into a fight," but don't want to say, "I am sorry I flung dirty clothes all over and I will try to do better." All in all, when we work on any kind of relationship, I think we need to be honest with ourselves first. If we were wrong, own up to it and if we were right, drop the martyrdom, snideness or I told you so, for "We will just have to work hard for it not to happen again." WE not HE OR SHE! Now, if you want Dr Ruth type advice, you will probably have to go elsewhere because I have some VERY VERY rigid ideas of things AND even married to a sailor am still naive somewhat. Afterall, I have had superb so it would be hard for me to understand mediocre!

You gals have a great day!

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 08-22-2003 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:05 AM   #6  

Thanks for the peptalk, Faye.....
As bad as it's been this year, we're really lucky to still be in Maine at all. I thought we were going to have to head south after the layoff, because there are just no jobs for engineers up here. Dh designs roads and developments......of which there are very few here. But, he actually got another job with just one phone call....it pays better (but we have to spring for health insurance for FIVE!). Most important, he's so happy at the new job! His boss appreciates him, and TELLS HIM that. It was just tough with the commuting all winter and moving and all. We're much better now.

Congrats on the glider, btw. My mom has one, and she just loves it. (when she's in an exercise groove). She had 2 knee replacements and swears the glider puts no pressure on them.

I've been procrastinating all morning! Gotta go workout and SEW....4 skirts gotta be done by Monday!!

Later,
Julie
Old 08-22-2003, 10:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies.

I got all 4 pts yesterday.

So far I havent been on the scale.. this is a scary thing for me every week. I try to stay off of it until Friday.. then I am afraid to get on!

Last night was rough. My DH had to go to Charleston WV, where the latest batch of shootings has been occuring. DH is a truck driver and I was fit to be tied. I lost contact with him about 1 am, due to the remote area he had to drive thru, then I lost internet a few min later for scheduled maintenance.

So I pieced a quilt top until he called me at 5 am to tell me he was ok and was on the road headed out of Charleston! The good part to all of this.. I did not eat to soothe the worry! I didnt get into bed until after 5, and I got up about 8:30. Its going to be a long day. lol

Missy.. I have had too many relationships.. and lost a couple of decent b/f because I did not talk things out with them. I used to think that keeping things from them because it might be hurtful or make me look really bad was the right way to go. I thought I was protecting them.. but in the end they always found out.
NOW, I think that being open and honest is the absolute best policy.. and its also the hardest. If you love #1, you should come clean with him, let him know how sorry you are and how bad you feel, ask for forgiveness, and take the consequences. He just might surprise you. If he finds out later on down the road.. all the stuff you dont tell him now, its going to be much worse and you could end up losing him for good. If he was truly meant to be and you love him/he loves you ... you can work thru anything as long as you are open and honest. If it wasnt meant to be, then you will be better off.

Pam.. I am hoping that you get things worked out soon. Good job on not eating to soothe!

Congrats to everyone on their points!

Today is DH's birthday.. so I must be strong!
Old 08-22-2003, 10:56 AM   #8  
Soon-to-be Sexy Lady

This is not going to be a remotely good weekend for me.

I've decided I am going to break up with #2 (Mike) tonight. I need to do this, and I need to do it before I talk with #1 (Sam) tomorrow. I know for sure that if I don't, then I'll just cling to Mike out of fear. I am still worried that work will be difficult after I break up with Mike, but...that is a chance I absolutley will have to take at this point. I do want to make things right with Sam...I just don't know how he will react when I tell him that I've been with Mike for a few months AND a year...not just a few months like I told him. I don't know how in the world I'm going to tell him...but I guess I have to.

Anyway, no loss to report. Maybe it's b/c of my bad week last week. I dropped maybe 1/2 a pound.

Congrats to all the other "losers" this week. I'm proud of you all.

Luckily I'm not resorting to eating to get myself thru this.

Pam - I hope you and Jane work things out. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:57 AM   #9  
Soon-to-be Sexy Lady

Thanks for the good thoughts debbie...they definitely help! And Faye for the good advice!
Old 08-22-2003, 11:12 AM   #10  

Hello again,

Remember last time when I said I am like a kid at Christmas and I went and weighed earlier than my scheduled appt, well I did it again today, as you may have read in my last post I was going to try and wait till at least 8/31, but couldnt stand it, besides I knew all of you would be posting your great losses!! so, I lost another 5.1 lbs since 8/7 that is a total of 29.7 since june 5th

congrats to all of you other girlies too, Faye you are a most magnificent fearless leader, couldnt do it without you in my corner, and couldnt do it without the rest of you wonderful women!! YOU ARE THE BEST!!

WORKING TOWARDS THAT 12/31 GOAL NOW FAYE!!

LATER CHICKIES! OFF TO EXERCISE!
Old 08-22-2003, 11:20 AM   #11  

Missy: What were your points for yesterday kiddo or did I miss them again?

Debbie: YOU GET A: for points! Good for you and maybe have a tiny bite of cake for dh's birthday, we won't hold it against you!

Ok, girls, there's trouble brewing with some of our midst so you guys all have to be really really strong not to let food "soothe" you because if you do, when it is over and done with you will be seriously bummed about your problem AND the fact you overate! You can do this. Do what I do and this one will be a REAL shocker to all of you......I CLEAN! Find something that will expend energy when you are upset whether it be cleaning, walking, exercising, whatever. The harder you do it the more endorphins are released and the better you will feel!

**Just remember Elle Woods in Legally Blonde**

Got in an hour in the pool and now am having a snack of pretzel sticks and water. I don't know what I would do without my pretzel sticks!

Keep strong girlies!

Faye
Old 08-22-2003, 11:40 AM   #12  
The ever shrinking woman!

Hi girls!

grats on your pounds down, I am one pound down today... but I usually dont' count it unless it stays that way for a few days

as far as relationship probs... I was separated from my husband for a year and a half. We even saw other people, he lived with his girlfriend for a while, etc. But somehow, something happened... we were almost divorced too, and it was so wierd.. we just talked , finally, as friends, and that brought everything back. My kids are so geeked! I have lived back with him now for 3 months, and it was rocky at first, lots of adjustments, but it is just getting better. But most of my moaning and groaning during that time was my stress about that situation, and I was eating like a hound :P

anyhow, I can relate, if any of you ever need to chat, feel free to PM me ! I have been to **** and back.. trust me

Old 08-22-2003, 11:46 AM   #13  
The ever shrinking woman!

oh, and pickles don't have hardly any calories. Wash it down with some water, for they are high in sodium, and don't worry about it!

I drink pickle juice, I love pickles soo much
Old 08-22-2003, 11:49 AM   #14  
Soon-to-be Sexy Lady

I love pickels too tonya. They are yummylicious.

I had four for yesterday Faye...but you already bravo'd me.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:16 PM   #15  

WELL! We can certainly tell who the old fart is in the group! Can't remember a darn thing!

Tonya; Pickle JUICE? I like pickles but I don't think I would drink the juice of it or of olives. Sour or sweet ones? I imagine the dills, huh?

My favorite pickles were my grandma's bread and butter, but she is long gone and so I don't get them anymore. She passed away in 1984. Whenever Jack and I would go up there to visit, I got to load the car with all these canned fruits etc. Even up until she died she would can fruits and vegetables every year. I lived with them the last two years I was in high school and I always dreaded school being out because we had to help peel tomatoes, cap strawberries etc to can. Never thinking how much good I got out of it!

Gotta go girls! Just to spur you on a little more:

http://view.greetings.yahoo.com/gree...?2E5SX8V6FPJGG

Faye
Closed Thread