View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #78
veggiegirl123

S/C/G: 164/160/140

For me it just depends on the time of year. During growing season it's way cheaper to eat healthy here because the farmers market and local orchards/farms start selling to the public. I can go to my farmers market and leave with three overflowing grocery bags of veggies/fruit for around $20. In November, at the grocery store, I can get one bag. We have several U Pick farms nearby and I can pick blueberries and strawberries for a little over $1lb. Same in the fall with apple season-I can get pounds of apples for super cheap.

I'm a vegetarian but my family eats meat and we buy a share of local grass fed beef, which is another help. It works out to $2.50lb for steaks, ground beef, etc. We don't have a spare freezer so it's a challenge to get it to fit in our freezer, but we manage to do it somehow! I also shop at Aldi which is a cheapy store, but selection is not great (though they've just started carrying some organic items yay!).

We're a family of five and our weekly grocery budget is $100. That includes all my daughter's packed school lunches and 2-3 packed lunches for my husband. It's definitely tight but I'm looking forward to June, when I can start buying locally again-my grocery budget will go much further for a few months
veggiegirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote