Old 05-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question Anyone feel depressed while on IP?

So im not sure if its just because im just starting or what..I have bounds of energy ..which is odd cause usually when i start this diet i feel the opposite..but this time around i have lots of energy, to the point where i cant even nap in the day time...however..one thing ive noticed...i feel kinda depressed...Is it just my physical body going through withdrawl causing the depression??? Like lack of sugars?

FYI - i might have done this diet a couple of times, but that doesnt make me a know it all.. i still have questions
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #2  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

I think that this just may be a mental thing... give your self some time to readjust to the way your body will truly feel...

I dont think that I have ever felt depressed....
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'1

What day are you in? It may be the extra hormones effecting your moods.
CassiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl View Post
So im not sure if its just because im just starting or what..I have bounds of energy ..which is odd cause usually when i start this diet i feel the opposite..but this time around i have lots of energy, to the point where i cant even nap in the day time...however..one thing ive noticed...i feel kinda depressed...Is it just my physical body going through withdrawl causing the depression??? Like lack of sugars?

FYI - i might have done this diet a couple of times, but that doesnt make me a know it all.. i still have questions
Hi Port - I am here for a reboot. I think I've heard that people can get depressed during the diet but I don't think it lasts. I saw a great special a few years ago on HBO about addiction. Eating sugar causes an immediate release of dopamine in the brain. So do some drugs and I guess alcohol. So just remember it is transitory - both the depression, and the momentary feelings you get from sugar. I certainly get depressed or sad - off and on this diet. But it is way better to be thin and depressed than overweight and depressed!!! Life is just full of #### sometimes. I'm back here cuz I'm a food addict and I turn to evil carbs looking for comfort. Let me give you some big HUGS!!! ((((HUGS)))) Hugs raise seratonin levels - not sure about the dopamine level. Hang in there. Losing weight really perks one up.
deelee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #5  
Porthardygurl

im only on day 2.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #6  
Porthardygurl

Thanks Deelee..

Im like you...ive got an evil addiction to carbs..its controlled me for a long time now...im trying to break it for good this time.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/ticker/150

Height: 5'3

I found by day 4 I felt happy, give your self a couple more days. I too fight the carb addition. goodluck!
enr20707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #8  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl View Post
im only on day 2.
It should pass. Go easy on yourself in the early days. Watch movies. Be low stress. Give your body time to adjust.

This diet can mess with your hormones so emotional stuff can pop up throughout the diet. Things get released in addition to fat.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 205.6/145.2/140

I had a hormonal day yesterday. I have been on IP since April 6th....I agree I think it can come up at any point. Just love yourself through it...acknowledge your feelings and move on. Best not to ignore the feelings or beat yourself up over them.
Meadow Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 390/230/160

Height: 5'9''

YES! I'm on day 6 of IP and I have been crying nonstop for the last day and a half. I also have the worst urge to just hit someone or break something. I can't remember EVER feeling this depressed and irritable on any diet - ever - and I've been thru them all. Medifast, NS, Jenny, WW, PhenPhen. I also have absolutely zero energy, I don't even want to go up the stairs to bed, just crash on the couch. Felt like I was going to pass out today while running errands and nearly ran my car off the road. Could barely walk my dog. Normally on a day like today, I would have been out on my bike doing 20-30 miles - but thats not alloyed even if I could have. This is the worst! I'm giving IP one more week and if this doesn't improve, I'm done. It's too much money to feel like this and not feel healthy.
photogirl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #11  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

Personally i have never felt better. Week 3 happy and feeling fantastic. I am however 100% committed and wanted to do this diet. My personal opinion is that if you want to look for excuses for this diet to not work you will find them. If you want it to work for you, for your health, you will suck it up and power through the small inconveniences. The program is proven....it works, and there are many successful people here as living proof. I am brand new to this site and have seen the great support offered by the members but you have to want to help yourself first. May sound harsh but thats how i see it.
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #12  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I was a little depressed at first, but then again that would always happen to me when I started any diet. It was that feeling of here I go again, denying myself of foods I love. However I understood those feelings and so I powered on. The first 5 days were pretty nasty, but I woke up on day 6 feeling so much better and knew I had come out of my carb fog. My body definitely felt a little weaker my first 3 or 4 weeks on the plan, but by the end of that period I was 150 percent better.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogirl74 View Post
YES! I'm on day 6 of IP and I have been crying nonstop for the last day and a half. I also have the worst urge to just hit someone or break something. I can't remember EVER feeling this depressed and irritable on any diet - ever - and I've been thru them all. Medifast, NS, Jenny, WW, PhenPhen. I also have absolutely zero energy, I don't even want to go up the stairs to bed, just crash on the couch. Felt like I was going to pass out today while running errands and nearly ran my car off the road. Could barely walk my dog. Normally on a day like today, I would have been out on my bike doing 20-30 miles - but thats not alloyed even if I could have. This is the worst! I'm giving IP one more week and if this doesn't improve, I'm done. It's too much money to feel like this and not feel healthy.
I find it hard to do errands cuz off all the freaking water we have to drink. I'm 50+ years old, gave birth to 2 kids, and I just have to go ALL THE TIME. Luckily, I know where most of the bathrooms are from 25 years ago when I was pregnant! It is the weight loss that is so reinforcing. And you will feel better. If you are used to biking 20- or 30 miles I would think you could do some. Check with some of the really knowledgeable people. I am low energy, perhaps due to my fibro but just doing a little moving helps. Hang in there. It will get better.

Last edited by deelee10; 05-20-2012 at 01:48 PM.
deelee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 225.6/224.2/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogirl74 View Post
The lack of energy and the depression are very real factors in this diet. It doesn't affect everyone that way, some people feel great and have more energy than ever. But it affects me that way. It has to do with the emotional ride of the hormones being released from the fat as it melts, and also to do with the fact that some people don't produce much seratonin. It's part of the reason why they're carb addicted - they're actually self medicating. I don't produce a lot of seratonin and fall deeply into a funk when I'm OP. It's hard, it makes it harder, not in terms of discipline or your desire to stay on the diet, but in terms of how you get through your day productively. It's funny, OP everything seems sort of grey and listless. On the other hand, I eat one apple and I'm happy and ready for a hike.
esammy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 143/125/115

Height: 5'2

It makes me moody/grumpy because I know I can't have ice cream on these nice days. ):
xjennyd is offline   Reply With Quote