Old 05-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 141/141/125

Height: 5 foot 8.5 inches

Default TOM Issues? May be TMI....

I hope this isn't totally TMI for everyone, but I was curious if anyone else has had any changes in their TOM?

I don't usually pay much attention to timing, except that I now have more interest as it affects my WI. Its been four full weeks and a few days since the end of my last cycle and I still haven't started.

Pregnancy isn't a concern really - but I don't think I've ever gone this long in between and it's starting to bother me some. My boyfriend suggested maybe the diet was screwing some with my hormones but I would've thought my coach would've warned me about that ahead of time.

Maybe it's just the stress of thinking about it too much but I thought maybe a few others had experienced similar changes...
sneuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #2  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Lucky us - we women store estrogen (among other things) in our fat cells. As we are in a state of ketosis, assuming you are 100% OP (aka, low carb, low dietary fat), your body burns off your body fat to create the ketones that we use as fuel instead of our glycogen (carb) reserves.

So when the body fat gets burned off, the estrogen gets released into our blood stream. This is why we get TOM issues and symptoms, hormonal/moody, and if you are on the pill your birth control can fail you (so use some oven mitts when baking cookies!).
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #3  
Started IP May 1, 2012

S/C/G: 281/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

In addition to what Liz said, I'd like to point out that you've severely restricted your calorie intake, and that in itself can cause a change in your cycle. That's why you see a lot of athletes (who burn as much as they eat) and anorexic girls skipping periods all the time. To be sure, I would take a test. But I bet it's just your body getting used to the new diet.
0ojoyo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233/201.8/150

I had 2 periods last month and when I asked my dr about it, he said that my hormones are out of wack prob due to my wieght loss. So I would bet thats what is happening, your eating habits have caused your hormones to be wacky.
stlrsgrl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 141/141/125

Height: 5 foot 8.5 inches

It turns out all you have to do is write about it and all will be solved.... silly timing!

Thanks for the input though, helped calm my nerves Just wish that I had more than few days before my next WI. Oh well.
sneuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #6  
04/23/12~Kara

S/C/G: 194.8/171.2/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey, someone with a coach, could you find out if the Depo shot is still effective? It prevents me from releasing an egg, thins the uterus lining and thickens the cervical mucus to prevent swimmers from making it to the promised land. It only has progestin in it (no estrogen, as opposed to the pill which has a mix of both)...just want to be safe.
Kaypix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 192/see ticker/140

Height: 5'-4"

My coach told me that she was told that only the pill can be ineffective. However, I was on the ring and I started a really strong period in the middle of my cycle, which is not supposed to happen until you take the ring out. So, I concluded that the ring could also not be effective. I have since stopped using it to save money- and use back up. I'm all over the place and not regular at all, but I also noticed I major pick up in weekly weigh-ins since I went off. Something to think about.
Baracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #8  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

I just started using the ring in February. And noticed a huge slow down in weightoss. But not sure if its that or im getting pretty close to goal.. but since being on the ring my period have been regular... When I first started IP. I did not get a period for 5 month... Weird. Crazy.ish
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:49 AM   #9  
Just keep swimming!

S/C/G: 216/196/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuse View Post
I hope this isn't totally TMI for everyone, but I was curious if anyone else has had any changes in their TOM?

I don't usually pay much attention to timing, except that I now have more interest as it affects my WI. Its been four full weeks and a few days since the end of my last cycle and I still haven't started.

Pregnancy isn't a concern really - but I don't think I've ever gone this long in between and it's starting to bother me some. My boyfriend suggested maybe the diet was screwing some with my hormones but I would've thought my coach would've warned me about that ahead of time.

Maybe it's just the stress of thinking about it too much but I thought maybe a few others had experienced similar changes...
I haven't tracked rigorously, but I was expecting AF more like last weekend and it seems to be hitting me finally tonight. So I think it is IP just messing with you.

I remember when I was on Atkins, I actually didn't cramp up like I usually tended to otherwise. I did Dr D'Adamo's Blood Type O diet almost right before trying Atkins and also noticed the lack of cramping in my case. So it could be a mild intolerance to something out of both diets significantly like corn, wheat, or rice. Just talking about my particular case, but who knows, most people with gluten issues never know until they go without gluten for an extended period of time. That applies to other common food allergens too.
ferrousgal is offline   Reply With Quote