South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 11:29 AM   #1  

Smile Yet another newbie!

I've been reading your posts for about 1 week. In February, I went on WW for 11 weeks, lost about 9 and hit a plateau, then couldn't afford to buy another 10 week membership. At least I didn't gain back what I lost! Last week, I tried Sommersizing again (I did that 2 years ago), but I just wasn't liking it. Thought about Atkins, checked out the Prevention.com information about SBD (as you recommended) and bought the book last Thursday. So, I went shopping yesterday and brought my lunch to work today (veggies and protein) and had turkey and V-8 for breakfast. I'm really glad to have "moved" to the Beach, and plan to live here for a long time!

You guys seem very supportive, looking forward to playing with you on the beach!
Old 08-18-2003, 11:34 AM   #2  
Imagine...

Welcome you will love it here everyone is so nice.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:34 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I love your name! I was in Provence for a while and your name brings back lovely fragrance!

Welcome to The Beach. This is a very supportive and enthusiastic group. Please feel very free to join right in and have fun.

~~~~~ throws the beack ball to Lavender ~~~~~~
Old 08-19-2003, 06:46 AM   #4  
Mous

Welcome to the Beach you will love it here.

Lady
Old 08-19-2003, 07:53 AM   #5  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Welcome, welcome! It sounds as if you really did your homework, so you are well prepared. That will make all the difference, in my opinion. Good luck! Check in often and let us know how you are doing!
Old 08-19-2003, 12:34 PM   #6  

Hey, welcome. I am a fellow newbie...on day TWO (phase I) I am VERY excited to be here...so far this place has been an EXCELLENT hand in helping me get my feet off the ground and keep my motivation up!!! Post often, I am making this my goal too so that it keeps me on track!

See ya 'round the board!!
Hugs, Kimberly
Old 08-19-2003, 12:45 PM   #7  

Welcome Lavender Fields and Kimberly!

I haven't been here too long myself. This is a great board, and SBD is great WOE, I'm sure you will love it. Good luck to you both.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:48 PM   #8  

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the friendly welcome! I look forward to getting to know each of you better!

~~Beachball back to Ruthxxx~~

Tricia
Old 08-19-2003, 08:29 PM   #9  

Welcome to both of you. You will find this a pretty friendly bunch with a lot of encouragment. Ask any question and we will try to find answers...............Julie
Old 08-20-2003, 07:34 AM   #10  
Imagine...

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome

Glinda, I'm in CT. also in woodmont by the beach...the real beach. hehehe
Old 08-20-2003, 05:04 PM   #11  

Question Another newbie!

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading the postings on SBD and I got most of my information off of the Prevention website. I started doing SBD last Monday and I have a few questions. First of all, I saw some of the menus in the book and I didn't like them. I don't have to follow them do I? If I understand this correctly I can eat whatever I want from the Phase 1 food list right? The reason I am asking is that I have been on this for 10 days now and I have only lost 3 pounds. Here is a typical days menu for me.

Breakfast
1 C Eggbeaters
1 slice kraft 2% cheese
2 reduced calorie sausages

Lunch
Chicken Caesar Salad

Dinner
Turkey Sausage
Veggies
Salad

I also usually have a couple of light cheese sticks and some peanuts for snacks.

I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong? If any one can help me I would really appreciate it, thanks!

Heidi
Old 08-20-2003, 05:16 PM   #12  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to the Beach!

Peanuts are not on the list for Phase I - see the food lists in the sticky at the top of this forum. Nuts are limited although they are good fats. Also, what is in the sausages at breakfast? Most people do better sticking to unprocessed foods. Almost all sausages have filler such as milk powder or crumbs. A also wonder how much cheese and peanuts.

The menues are just guidlines. You just need to stick to the allowable foods.

I suggest you use www.fitday.com to check your calories. Eating too few is setting yourself up for failure as your body will go into starvation mode.

Stick with it. It will happen!
Old 08-20-2003, 05:18 PM   #13  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Summer, congrats on your loss! 3 pounds is certainly nothing to sneeze at! Initial weight loss depends on a lot of things, including how much weight you have to lose.

Your daily menu looks pretty good to me! The only possible suggestion would be to switch canadian bacon for the sausage at breakfast and maybe chicken or another lean meat for dinner? I'm not sure, but maybe the low-cal sausage is still pretty high fat?

I'm not saying you are doing anything "wrong," but just wondering outloud if that is an area you could make changes?

But remember, 3 pounds is a great start! Stick with it, and incorporate exercise if you haven't already! And don't forget to check in with us often and let us know how you are doing!
Old 08-20-2003, 05:39 PM   #14  

Hi Ruthxxx and Frannymae,

Thanks for the answers. I am confused though, I am looking at my friends book right now and it shows peanuts under phase 1, that's why I have been eating about 20 a day. As far as the sausage goes, 2 links have 100 cal, 8g fat, and 1g carb. Is that too much? I figure my breakfast is 270 calories. I will switch to Canadian Bacon if you think that would be better, if my sausage is too high in fat. My turkey sausage that I have had a few times at dinner is lowfat, so is that OK?

I know the book said 8-13 pounds or something in 2 weeks and that's why I am so bummed about only losing 3.

I can have salad dressing right? I have made sure it's all been low sugar/carb. I can't eat oil and vinegar every night.

Also, do you guys shoot for a certain calorie limit per day? I am so used to doing WW that I feel like I have to be able to account for what I eat in some way.

Thanks again, and sorry for so many questions!

Heidi
Old 08-21-2003, 11:39 AM   #15  

Default Hi, Heidi!

My book says 20 small peanuts is OK, so I don't think that's a problem. Low-fat turkey sausage sounds acceptable. I agree, make sure you're eating about 1000 to 1500 calories per day.

How much do you need to lose? I'm asking, because I think 8-10 lbs. is a guideline, and a person who needs to lose 80 lbs. will lose faster than one who needs to lose 10 or 20 lbs.

I'd recommend trying to get some fish in your diet for some healthier fat, if you like fish. Tuna, even with mayo. And maybe broaden the type of vegetables you're eating, and increase.

The only other thing I can think of is, you may have hit an early plateau, and you'll drop 2-3 lbs. in the next 3 days. (I say this from experience with other diets in the past.)

I need to re-read the book, but I THINK low carb dressings are OK; watch for hidden sugar in them, and try to get good oils as a first ingredient.

I can't remember where I heard and/or read this, but I wonder if you've recently lost some weight and haven't gone "hog wild" if your body is adjusting to the new lower weight and not wanting to drop quickly right now. . .

Glad to meet you! You're on the right track!

Tricia
Closed Thread