Old 05-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/199/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Insanity Questions

Hey guys! i went to a flea market today and found a guy selling P90X and Insanity for 40 bucks each. I decided on trying Insanity after browsing a short article comparing the two on my phone. It's something I've been curious about for a while. We'll just have to see if I'm tough enough to survive it, but I'm out of school for the summer and my summer internship doesn't start til the end of the month so what else have I got to do? I have a couple of questions about it and I'm hoping some of you could answer Also hoped I picked the right place to post this...

Firstly, due to living situations I don't think its possible for me to follow their meal plans exactly. Cooking and having fresh ingredients to do it is a bit of an obstacle. How much would it hinder me if I ate the same number of meals, same number of calories a day as what it recommends but not the exact meals they have listed? To be honest I really don't even want to follow the plan exactly simply because restrictive plans with set numbers of food choices do not work for me...which is why I have been a calorie counter to lose the 26 pounds I have so far. I know that if I were to get thin enough that I want abs to show that the sort of foods I eat could make the difference of seeing them or not...but I'm not concerned with that. I just want to lose weight and be healthy. So how horrible would it be to not follow it exactly?

My second question is for those who have finished it or just know about working out in general. My thoughts are - what if I do this, finish the 2 months, lose the weight I want and then stop doing it? I know I'd lose muscle tone but am I at risk of gaining back the weight? I know it'd be even more important to eat the right of amount of calories and foods, but I guess my concern stems from the knowledge that when people stop a "crash diet" they gain the weight back. Isn't this sort of a "crash exercise program"? or is there such a thing? Maybe the whole idea is silly, but I guess it would be more motivating to me to know if I do this and decide to stop the program after the 2 months is over that I can maintain the weight loss without it.

Thanks for any help/advice!
Volschika007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #2  
Feed the muscle

S/C/G: 225/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

Hi! I'm no expert but since I started Insanity, (last week Monday.) I've lost 5 pounds, and I'm not following their meal plan to a T, although I do use a lot of the recipes, and also make up recipes based on what they recommend. Their meal plan is more so for you to have a balance between good fats/proteins/carbs. Calorie counting alone isn't going to cut it for Insanity, I think. If you on your own are able to maintain the correct ratio of fats/carbs/proteins, then go for it, but what I would do is try the plan for a few days so you get a hang of how they balance them.

As for stopping and muscle loss etc, again I'm no expert, but I think if you're starting Insanity you should be starting it as part of your lifestyle change ie. a lifstyle that involves a good bit of activity, so I think you can mentain the weight loss if you continue a workout plan. Most people do Insanity more than once, or move on to Asylum or do the P90X/Insanity Hybrid. But just stay active and I doubt you'll have to worry about muscle loss (unless you starve yourself, I suppose)
HTH!!!

ETA: Are you starting Insanity out of nowhere or are you coming off of another fitness video?? I ask because Insanity is not for beginners! I would have been really discouraged if I started this as my first workout regimen because it is really challenging.

Last edited by meltaway; 05-12-2012 at 11:15 PM.
meltaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #3  

Wow I hope I can manage 5 pounds in a week! I'll definitely try to keep up with balancing nutrition in meals right and I think planning ahead is a good idea. I guess I can just take it one day at a time and try to figure it out

I've been using an elliptical for 45 minutes several times a week and walking to class (a mile or so a day with lots of hills) every day. I wouldn't consider myself to be in very good shape at all, but I'm going into this fully expecting to be catching my breathe and resting over half the time lol. I figure I'll do what I can and build up my strength/cardio...I keep hearing that's how its supposed to be done anyway - I just may be starting weaker than some.

What I'd really like to do is use Insanity to boost my weight loss...2 pounds a month is just next to nothing and I need to up my work outs anyway. My hopes are to stop insanity after the 2 months (or maybe after i get closer to my goal weight)...go back to the elliptical and do the occasional insanity work out, just not every day. I just can't see myself committing to insanity every day forever...but I think i can push myself to finish 2 months and then change things up
Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 266/199/165

Height: 5'7

Hey, I know I'm late on this thread as I've been away from 3FC for a little while but I started Insanity last week and I too am down five pounds. I follow the workout schedule and that's it. I don't have the meal plan but I've been calorie counting with the myfitnesspal app on my iPhone. Just constantly being aware of what I put into my mouth is a struggle lol.

I'd been doing Zumba for a couple months before I started Insanity, but the workout is still a but difficult. I really enjoy it though, it's definitely given me a workout...I don't think I've sweat this much in my life!

Good luck with it. I'll be checking in on this thread when I can. Keep pushing, keep digging! <3
LilMissLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #5  

Thanks for the encouragement I'm glad to see someone else not following the meal plan exactly and still getting good results. I've just been eating the amount of calories it suggests and I'm trying to pay attention to nutrients, but not that strictly. Today is day 3 - maybe technically day 2 since day 1 was just the fit test. It hurts to walk and sit and stand lol but its definitely giving me a good work out and i love it so far!

I ate super bad over the weekend and my weight shot up about 5 pounds...i'm sure it was water weight but i've already almost lost it all again. i feel pretty confident insanity is a big part in that - it usually takes me a while to lose water weight like that. here's to hoping that by next monday i'll be 5 pounds down from my weight before this last horrible weekend! (or at least finally in onederland???)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 AM   #6  
Feed the muscle

S/C/G: 225/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

Absolutely stick with it if you can! It's totally worth it I'm loving it so far (on week three)
meltaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #7  

I'm still loving it, too! Every single move i make hurts but I love it b/c I know that's just a sign that I put in some hard work! I can't wait to do my next fit text in a couple weeks and see how much better I've gotten. Maybe I'm crazy but I'm always actually excited to do the work outs each day so far - just so motivated to see some results!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 132/116.6/114

Height: 5'2"

Hi, great to hear you're liking the workouts. Be sure to come join us on the main Shaun T Insanity thread and keep us updated on your progress!
Precious Little is offline   Reply With Quote