Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/290/150

Height: 5'5"

Default I'm Just Weird

Hi,

I have recently decided to start again in my weight loss journey after not only falling off the wagon, but rolling down the hill and crashing into a building :-) Right now I am very motivated but know that will diminish as time goes on so I am going to keep looking at the success stories on this website to keep me motivated.

I am a little bit weird when it comes to "dieting". I can have a dish of candy sit on my desk at work and not ever touch it but the minute it is not there I crave it, go buy some and eat it all. I also sometimes seem to forget that I am trying to eat healthier. I will start eating something not so good for me and then after a few bites remember that I shouldn't be eating this. I need to learn to be cognizant of what I am eating at all times and not do the mindless eating thing...any advice?

Thanks for listening!
Rella777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #2  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

When I saw the title of the thread I thought, "Welcome to the club!"

Honestly I see some great pluses for you in the behavior you've described. You can resist temptation when it's in front of you, and you're not concerned-to-the-point-of-detriment about food policing yourself. So those are items to be cheered by!

For the first item, it sounds like maybe you don't like the idea that you can't have something and rebel against it. I've found that for me, affirming to myself that I CAN have anything I want but at the moment, I'm making certain healthy choices, is much more sustainable than "can't have, can't have" food talk in my brain. I think the mental habits you've described would go very nicely with meal planning and calorie counting.

Last edited by Desiderata; 05-16-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rella777 View Post

I will start eating something not so good for me and then after a few bites remember that I shouldn't be eating this. I need to learn to be cognizant of what I am eating at all times and not do the mindless eating thing...any advice?

Thanks for listening!
This happened to me a lot the first 2 weeks or so! I would go to reach for a cookie and take a bite and be like OH NO! LOL! After a couple weeks when I really got into the swing of things that didn't happen anymore. I've become much more mindful of what I'm eating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiderata View Post
I've found that for me, affirming to myself that I CAN have anything I want but at the moment, I'm making certain healthy choices, is much more sustainable than "can't have, can't have" food talk in my brain.
THIS! This has helped me so much in my journey this time. I don't feel deprived so there's nothing to rebel against. I can have any food I would like, and if I really really want to have a large portion of something I'm allowed that too. ALthough I find I don't take advantage of it as much as I thought I would. I much more enjoy treats now because I don't have them very often or in the quantities I used to! I have found that a square of dark chocolate tastes just as good and is just as enjoyable as that extra large hershey bar I used to eat, PLUS I don't feel like crap after I eat it. WIN/WIN!!!

Last edited by LockItUp; 05-16-2012 at 02:41 PM.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I have some advice.

Either count calories or find a set of rules you can live with that will restrict calories. I'd vote count calories.

Eating "healthy" or "healthy choices" has no specific meaning in the context of fat loss.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #5  

Ahhh I know the feeling, I think. If I feel like I can't have it, and it is gone forever, I get all desperate and I want it all.
If its a vegetable, I buy it. If its candy, I tell myself that people have lived long, happy lives without ever trying an M&M, and I have eaten many of them, so who cares if I never get a chance to have it again? And of course, we can always have them again. Unless its a twinkie-I gotta get em fried before theyre all gone!! JKJK
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #6  

I think that once you set up a food plan for yourself, you'll gradually develop healthier eating habits, so that you'll instinctively stay away from junk foods and reach for healthier options instead.

Also, I'd love to be like you and resist temptation when it's right in front of me, I truly envy you for that!
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/290/150

Thanks for all the advice and I agree that calorie counting will probably work best for me.

I do like the fact that I have no desire to eat an unhealthy item that is right in front of me. I have actually had a candy bar sitting on my desk at work since Monday and have no desire to eat it :-)

I know for me that certain foods are my security blanket (for lack of a better phrase). If I have them around I feel better but the minute I don't I get a little obsessed over them. I told you I was weird I mean who needs a food item near them to feel ok!!!!

I really like this website and the support is wonderful. I have a long weight loss journey ahead of me but am determined to get to my destination.
Rella777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #8  
Marias12WeekChallenge

S/C/G: I recently lost 9 lbs

Default Resisting at work

I think the key for me was resisting the awful food they have at work. Many times cake, cookies and candy are shoved in your face. A polite no or bringing your own snacks while everyone is eating birthday cake is the best advice.
mariasandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Well, as it's been said over and over in here - we all have to do what works for us. If having that one candy bar on your desk makes it possible to resist eating candy, I'd say this is a perfect way to do it. Especially since the worst case scenario is that you break down and eat the one candy bar. No real big deal if you do - ans long as it's an isolated incident.

Welcome and good luck. Weird is good in my opinion.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #10  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

I've been trying to do the same thing lately- I can have it, but I'm just not going to have it now. I'll have it later, or tomorrow, or the next time it's offered in the cafeteria, or when I hit 159 or whatever.....

I'm also finding that allowing myself smaller, individually wrapped or packaged items is helpful. If I open regular sized candy bar, I'll eat the whole thing. I'll just pick at it until it's gone. If I open a mini version of that same candy bar, I'll eat it, but I don't go and open another mini candy. Or I will have that little snack bag of chips instead of opening the giant family sized bag.

When you find something that works, hang on to it! I love the fact that having the candy on your desk actually deters you from binging on candy!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #11  
You're my fantasy.

I like the calorie counting, too. And replacing the junk diet that I used to have with more fruit for sweetness, and veggies (even though I don't like them) to fill me up.

But - I always plan for something every day that I like. My current favorites are 1/2 cup of Quaker old fashioned oats mixed with a Dannon Light strawberry/banana yogurt. Let it sit in the fridge for an hour, the oats get soft and it all blends together - very good, and satisfying.

When I want something really sweet, I have a WW dessert, eat it with a small spoon and slowly. Little tricks that allow me to savor the flavor.

For me, planning is key.

p.s. I'm weird, too
stillmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote