Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #1  

Default More protein?

So, my doctor told me I'm not getting enough protein. I actually love meat, but I have a carb addiction. I also like getting something quick to eat, and I don't want to take the time to cook chicken. I know it's really lazy, but sometimes I just don't want meat. I had a big steak for Mother's Day, but the week before that, I'd barely eaten any meat. I tend to eat a lot of salads and potatoes.

When I'm not in the mood for meat, what are some good ways to get protein? I'm kinda picky and I don't like beans or lentils. Protein shakes?
Euphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Based on the specific context of your situation - yes protein shakes are a viable alternative.

Also - eggs are a good protein source and easy to make.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:59 AM   #3  

Thanks. I'm really going to try and eat at least one chicken breast everyday. I just get so tired of cooking sometimes. I'll make some hard boiled eggs to keep on hand.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:42 AM   #4  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I love cottage cheese as a source of protein, great on salads. Sometimes I use it as a "dip" for veggies with some garlic powder, chives and black pepper. Sometimes hot sauce. I also love to make dill potato salad with cottage cheese instead of mayo, SO good.

Milk and yogurt is another way to get some protein in. Greek yogurt seems to be a bit higher in protein compared to some others so maybe check that out?

Lastly, nuts and seeds (including nut butters), while calorie dense, are also a good way to get some protein in.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:29 AM   #5  

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just finding it difficult to get the nutrients I need while staying at 1200 calories. My doctor actually suggested 1300-1400, so I might have to bump it up, but I'm already not losing weight at 1200! I've been eating the potatoes for potassium, since it gets expensive buying bananas. I think the coffee I drink is depleting my potassium, but I have to have the caffeine to function. I don't even drink but maybe 1 or 2 cups, but when I drink coffee, my potassium plummets and I get leg cramps. I also eat Fiber One cereal because I have to have it otherwise I can't...you know. Nothing else keeps me regular. Argh, so frustrating.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Have you been keeping a food log? It'll help you track your protein.

You don't like any beans? Have you ever tried chickpeas? I like them many ways but think they are a great salad addition. I recently saw a recipe for chickpea croutons that sounded good. If you like soup, white kidney beans are a great thickener.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 207/174/125

Height: 5'5"

Egg whites! I say only the whites mostly if you want to keep it healthy. A handful of almonds or cashews can do the trick and not to mention peanut butter too it may not be too low fat but a PB sandwich on whole wheat bread will keep you full for a few hours...and a glass of milk
Misa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Cook a bunch of chicken all at once, and hardboil a dozen eggs so there is always something to grab. That's what I do and it makes meal planning so much easier. ANd the protein keeps me fuller. Last night I cooked about 6 bonesless skinless chicken thighs (so much more flavor than breasts) and made pulled pork in the slower cooker. now I have quick protein to grab for meals, throw in some veggies and little grain and its a meal.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

There are so many ways to sneak in protein. Nuts, protein powders, yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs as well as meats. Don't just cook one piece of chicken. Cook up three or four and reheat as you needed it. Put a roast in a crock pot with veggies, etc.

As far as potassium goes, everyone thinks of bananas, but there are other and better ways. Bananas are calorie dense and full of sugar. There are better ways to get potassium that are healthier for you. For fruits, bananas are kind of low man on the pole as far as 'bang for the buck" goes.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #10  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

I had this issue too and for me increasing protein really does make a difference. I'm not carb free by any means but I have found increasing my protein intake, decreased my appetite. Here are some changes I made in case they help.

- eggs for breakfast. I absolutely need the protein then, probably more so than any other part of the day.

- soup. I LOVE a good chunky soup. I throw in a lot of veggies, some noodles and meat. If you're not a big fan of meat it's a great way to get it in without it being overwhelming.

- try not to eat carbs alone. If you do eat bread, eat it as a sandwhich with meat and veggies on top

- peanut butter (sugar free!) and apples is a match made in heaven.

- do you mind beans with seasoning? We often make tacos with ground beef and beans mixed together and then with lots of taco seasoning.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #11  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Protein shakes are a great way to get a lot of protein for few calories. Get the powder and that way you can make shakes yourself for less calories. Also you use the powder for other things that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
Cook a bunch of chicken all at once, and hardboil a dozen eggs so there is always something to grab. That's what I do and it makes meal planning so much easier. ANd the protein keeps me fuller. Last night I cooked about 6 bonesless skinless chicken thighs (so much more flavor than breasts) and made pulled pork in the slower cooker. now I have quick protein to grab for meals, throw in some veggies and little grain and its a meal.
Yes this—make your meals in bulk.

Every week or so I'll grill a LOT of chicken breasts and that will be my lunch for the week. I wouldn't want to cook them every day either! Doing it all at once saves time and it's right there in the fridge for me to make into a wrap, salad or whatever I want

Same thing with hardboiled eggs. I'll boil up a bunch and grab n go when I want them.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

eggs are good and if you like them hard-boiled then you can just do a bunch at a time and keep them in the fridge for a quick grab... good on top of a salad. I'd also try adding sunflower seeds or raw walnuts to your salad, too.
I like jerky and turkey sausage which are quick to grab/easy to make... just watch the sodium.
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Have you been keeping a food log? It'll help you track your protein.

You don't like any beans? Have you ever tried chickpeas? I like them many ways but think they are a great salad addition. I recently saw a recipe for chickpea croutons that sounded good. If you like soup, white kidney beans are a great thickener.
Yes, and my protein intake is always very small compared to carbs. For instance Monday, I had 27 grams of protein and 130 grams of carbs. I'm thinking of making some little crustless quiches with spinach. It's just weird, sometimes I go crazy for meat and I'll have chicken everyday, and a big steak a couple times a month. But then there will be a whole week or two where I just don't want meat at all.

I hate sounding so childish and picky, but I AM picky. It's just making dieting rather difficult, especially when I really need certain nutrients. You all have given me some great ideas, though.

Last edited by Euphy; 05-16-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Greek yogurt also has a lot of protein in it - I buy chobani 0% plain and I use it as "sour cream" as well as yogurt.

I like to cook an entire dish when I have time, divide it into servings, and freeze it. That's pretty much the only way I have time to eat homemade meals everyday.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #15  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Everyone has great advice!

Other than meat I like: protein shakes (powder and make it myself), greek yogurt (plain and add my own fruit or whatever), eggs (4 egg whites have about the same calories as 1 whole egg, but twice the protein!), nuts, lower fat cheese like string cheese (80 cals 7 grams of protein).

I average 120-140 grams of protein per day now, and boy it's really helped me in a lot of ways (I also am around 1200 calories a day). More energy, less hunger, more weight loss. Just my experience!

Last edited by LockItUp; 05-16-2012 at 04:16 PM.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote