Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Default Things to avoid that make you fall

I've learned this past week - the hard way - that there are at least two things that I have to avoid at all costs if I want to continue to lose weight:

1. "Celebration" eating
2. Yummy food just sitting on the kitchen counter.

My birthday was about a week ago, and I "deserved" a celebration meal/binge/whatever. I didn't go stark raving nuts, but I did eat cake and pie. I gained two pounds.

Two days ago, despite my previous instructions to my wife, she made a pan of pecan brownies, and she left them sitting on the kitchen counter - all day. And the next. I had no sooner spotted the brownines as I walked by when my willpower went out the window and I ate several (but not the whole pan, at least). I gained two pounds from that.

Net weight gain in the last week - four pounds. Except for those two incidents, I'm on a 1600 calorie/day diet and I exercise strenuously almost every day. I'm amazed at how little effort it takes for my body to pack it on.

My wife eats whatever she wants, whenever she wants it (she's about 60 lbs. overweight and definitely not dieting), and I told her that the next time she makes something like that and doesn't put it out-of-sight, it's immediately going in the trash can. Since she's a junk-food-a-holic, I think she heard that. I don't mind it being in the cupboard or refrigerator - just as long as it's not right there under my nose.

Last edited by tricon7; 05-14-2012 at 08:45 AM.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I'm with you on #2. I'm the one in the house making cookies, muffins, etc., but as soon as they're cooled, I have to put them in a container in the cupboard or on top of the fridge (I'm short). If they're out of sight, I don't even think about eating them. If they're sitting out on the counter in plain view, all I think about is eating them.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #3  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I have the same problem!

I'm suffering from 4 pounds of celebration eating right now!

I had to create the same rule in my house. My husband can eat whatever he wants, and not gain. Or if he does, he'll eat a salad and walk around the block once, and lose a couple of pounds!

He started bringing home great junk for himself and the kids more often after I started my diet. Finally I asked that he 1) reduce the frequency of his junk food shopping 2) try to bring home the things that I'm not really interested in to reduce my temptation (not a huge sacrifice, lots to choose from) and 3) keep all items up high, or down low in the pantry, not at eye level, and never leave things out. Kids were also warned... If the snacks are important enough, then they will be put away. If they are left out, they will go in the trash without warning and without apologies. Then I followed through.

These 3 simple rules made a huge difference for me!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #4  

Twinieten - I love your rules! My husband buys a lot of junk, too, and it's always cakes, ice cream, pies and chips. I like everything, but I've decided that I just can't have it in the house. If it's there, I will eat it until it's gone!

I, too, am suffering from celebration weight gain....my birthday and then a trip down south....I'm still trying to get back on track and I'm into the 4th week now. It's just worth it to stray.
lostris326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #5  

I realized how much people equate eating with "celebration." I've got to re-associate what to do when I celebrate. Perhaps a massage, a new book, a trip to the beach, etc.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Equating eating and celebration is a very human thing to do. It's done across many cultures and going back thousands of years. Of course, it was not a problem when people were also much more physically active and had times of not enough food as well as times of plenty.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #7  
August 2013 restart

S/C/G: 248/229/139

I have a problem with both celebration AND punishment eating. Double whammy!

Yesterday several times my kids kept saying how they really should be taking me out for Mother's Day. And it was very sweet, but I kept explaining that I truly didn't want to go out. So we went out shopping for plants, etc for our yard instead. Definitely going to take a retraining of the whole family to help not associate every holiday, special occasion with food.

On the flip side if I am down about myself, feel guilty, screwed something up, sad, mad, whatever, I also eat, like a secret you deserve to stay this way thing as punishment. So I have worked on that as well.

Ah, and yes, good stuff out on the counter... must go!! That would be part of my mindless eating problem. LOL 'Just one bite' and then before I know it the whole tray is gone.

I am a walking food demon's dream. LOL
DaugT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #8  
~Never Quit~

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
I realized how much people equate eating with "celebration." I've got to re-associate what to do when I celebrate. Perhaps a massage, a new book, a trip to the beach, etc.
Every holiday, every family gathering or reunion, every birthday .... food food food! I need to remember to take my own meals to these things or stay away altogether until I learn to handle calorie counting on the fly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
EatMoreCelery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMoreCelery View Post
Every holiday, every family gathering or reunion, every birthday .... food food food! I need to remember to take my own meals to these things or stay away altogether until I learn to handle calorie counting on the fly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
My wife went on a very restrictive diet years ago that had her eating the same thing every day for every meal (I think she had a choice between two things). She lost 60 pounds on it and never made an exception. Ever.

I'm thinking i need to do the same thing and not worry about offending someone when they prepare a dinner for me, or if pizza is given to me at work, etc.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #10  
JessBHFHTH

S/C/G: 240/178.5/150

Height: 5"6"

YES! Mine is the celebration eating! BUT...yesterday, my family had a Mother's day meal at a chinese restaurant. ( I LOVE CHINESE!!!) Walking into that buffet was like...WHAAA? What do I eat!!!??? BUT by the grace of God I ate veggies, some chicken and a few pieces of banana/strawberry dessert stuff. It was hard but SO WORTH IT once you see the results. It's taken me and Jesus A LONG TIME to get consistent and disciplined in that area. Eating out was always REALLY HARD for me! Hope your wife jumps on the band wagon with you!
jsunshine4christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

I think the thing with me there is ALWAYS something to celebrate,

My birthday, BFF #1's birthday, then BFF #2's birthady, Oh? Someone finished a job, its Girls Night to Celebrate, Bachelorette, BFF #3's birthday I swear the celebrations never end. Other than then Bachelorette night I actually did okay because most of my friends are trying to eat healthy too so I stayed within a reasonable calorie allowance, and followed th enext day with a long walk but not so much this weekend. Just trying to get back on plan and brace for next weekends birthday celebrations.
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #12  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Unless you ate 14.000 calories you did not gain 4lbs from some cake or whatnot. We all give into temptation sometimes, getting back on track is all you can do. Your body will flush out the extra weight from the sodium/carbs sooner or later.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #13  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
My wife went on a very restrictive diet years ago that had her eating the same thing every day for every meal (I think she had a choice between two things). She lost 60 pounds on it and never made an exception. Ever.

I'm thinking i need to do the same thing and not worry about offending someone when they prepare a dinner for me, or if pizza is given to me at work, etc.
You mentioned in your first post she is 60 lbs overweight now though, so it doesn't sound like something she stuck to long term (or did she lose 60 and still just has 60 more? or did she gain it all back?). Those kinds of things are hard to stick to long term, and unrealistic IMO, as far as long term weight loss and keeping it off.

I know you struggle, I've read many, if not all, of your posts, and I totally commiserate! It's hard, especially when the spouse isn't on board! Is there any way to speak with her about how much more difficult it is on you when she is kind of doing the opposite?

Temptations suck, and it definitely seems like sweets really get to you.

I do agree as far as not worrying about hurting people's feelings turning down food. There are some foods I can't have at all without over doing it unless I'm in a certain frame of mind.

I can relate to your struggles!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
You mentioned in your first post she is 60 lbs overweight now though, so it doesn't sound like something she stuck to long term (or did she lose 60 and still just has 60 more? or did she gain it all back?). Those kinds of things are hard to stick to long term, and unrealistic IMO, as far as long term weight loss and keeping it off.

I know you struggle, I've read many, if not all, of your posts, and I totally commiserate! It's hard, especially when the spouse isn't on board! Is there any way to speak with her about how much more difficult it is on you when she is kind of doing the opposite?

Temptations suck, and it definitely seems like sweets really get to you.

I do agree as far as not worrying about hurting people's feelings turning down food. There are some foods I can't have at all without over doing it unless I'm in a certain frame of mind.

I can relate to your struggles!
I agree that her previous diet did the job, but it wasn't something one could stick to long-term; much like the Atkins diet. If she had immediately switched over to calorie-counting or a low-fat or low-carb diet, she could have made it stick. She did indeed gain it all back - possibly more.

I tried once to bring up the diet thing with her. But if she perceives in any way that I may be insinuating that she needs to lose weight - even though she mentions a couple of times/week that she's fat - I get the ice cube and silent treatment. I don't go that route anymore, if that's what you mean.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #15  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by philana View Post
Unless you ate 14.000 calories you did not gain 4lbs from some cake or whatnot. We all give into temptation sometimes, getting back on track is all you can do. Your body will flush out the extra weight from the sodium/carbs sooner or later.
I did gain 4 pounds. I realize it's just water. Wine and rice and soy sauce will do that.... I didn't have a chance. I swear I could hear myself sloshing when I walked yesterday!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote