General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Default Spider rant eeek

Well as I mentioned in another thread-England has been seriously wet and rainy for the past 4 or 5 weeks. My initial annoyance was it made running a bit difficult, what I didn't realize was lots of rain=spiders come indoors! That is so much worse.

I've encountered 3 huge spiders in the space of about 36 hours. I think I'm going to be spring cleaning today, in attempt to out any others. I can't take another heart attack with one jumping out at me.

Anyone else finding this a problem? I just can't stand spiders, I've overcome a lot of fears but I have a feeling this one is here to stay.

Does anyone have any tips for getting rid of them? I tend to just vacuum them as I don't like getting too close to them so I can't do the glass jar/paper trick. Are there any effective ways to repel them, I heard that conkers work well but maybe there are some plants they don't like?

Stupid spiders!
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My husband always asks if we can keep them. Spiders, generally are beneficial so we relocate them outdoors. If spiders are in your house, it could be that they have found a food source. Since they generally eat other bugs like osquitoes, you want to make sure you dont have any standing water nearby and try to get rid of things that would attract bugs.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

I am quite envious of people who aren't scared of them! I like the idea of living in harmony with them-But it all goes out the window when I see one scuttling towards me and I'm throwing everything but a grand piano at it

I can't see any reason for them coming in aside from the weather, I'm pretty diligent with the duster and hoover and I've never noticed any other type of creepy crawly in our house except for spiders really.

I might try putting a few drops of peppermint oil in our shampooer and give all our floors a wash. I read spiders, as well as other insects don't like it and this seems like a good way to disperse it
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

we had to go the chemical route years back when we were getting a TON of huge spiders in our mobile home....sprayed around the eaves and the ground around our place and there were no more spiders after that...and i mean we had ALOT of spiders in the house, everywhere i looked there would be another one, on the ceiling, in the bathroom etc....ughhh...the spray did the trick

where we live now, it's not around any trees or anything and we rarely get those big spiders in the house...however an old native alaskan trick is to place pieces of real cedar wood in your woodpile (ours is on the front porch) and it repels the spiders...sure enough, havent found any in our woodpile!
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #5  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

We sprayed as well. They sell spray specifically for spiders which can be sprayed around the foundation of your house. Usually that's sold in hardware stores.

Spiders are good, but I prefer them to not be in the house. Here we have wolf spiders, which are actually good things to have as they eat other bugs, but they are freaking huge. Harmless doesn't mean so much to me when something is the size of a small child.

My mother in law actually got bitten by a brown recluse last year and just 2 weeks ago finally had skin grafting to replace all the skin that died. :/
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #6  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
We sprayed as well. They sell spray specifically for spiders which can be sprayed around the foundation of your house. Usually that's sold in hardware stores.

Spiders are good, but I prefer them to not be in the house. Here we have wolf spiders, which are actually good things to have as they eat other bugs, but they are freaking huge. Harmless doesn't mean so much to me when something is the size of a small child.

My mother in law actually got bitten by a brown recluse last year and just 2 weeks ago finally had skin grafting to replace all the skin that died. :/
we have the wolf spiders here too...those are what we always had in our mobile home...seriously freaked me out...i'd be in the living room and find 4 on the ceiling...i'd wake up at night and find them on the floor on the way to our bathroom...they'd bite me at night and once left a HUGE swollen area that took a long time to heal...and i am Freaking Scared of spiders...spraying around the house solved that problem almost immediately

on another subject....one morning when we lived there, i was getting ready for work, had to be there before 7 a.m....opened the front door, which leads to the steps and the covered carport...and the WHOLE ENTIRE CARPORT was filled with these white cobwebs and huge wolf spiders...from the front door all the way across...looked like those halloween white webs and fake spiders...but it was real..i'm sure the neighbors heard me scream LOL but since i was the only one awake in the house, i got a broom, knocked it all down, sprayed Raid as far as i could, and made a mad dash for my car....it never happened again either
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/262/160

Height: 5'4

I Would Scream And Never Come Out Of My Home Again.
Cemommster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 216.5/ticker/153

Height: 5'4''

*SHIVERS* I'm not a fan of spiders. I'm not terrified, really, but wolf spiders can get as big as tarantulas! The ones I have found downstairs were BIG but I've seen pics of ones as big as your HAND. GAH. I may not sleep well tonight...
JustJ280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 110/189/110

Height: 5'4

I honestly am deathly afraid of spiders :X they are just so scary to me!
i33BabyGirl33i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #10  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

I moved into a basement suite several months ago. Everything was going great until Spring hit. Within 3 weeks, I have run into 7 spiders and countless ants. I can deal with the ants no problem... but I am TERRIFIED of spiders. I saw one in my laundry room the other day and am still having trouble going in there. It also seems like the spiders are getting bigger and nastier each time. I feel your pain and I envy all those who are not scared to death of them. Life seems like it would be much easier if that were the case for me.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

My friend freaked out when she moved and found wolf spiders.I would laugh at her....until I moved recently (not far from her now),wolf spiders are not afraid of people and will run towards you.Now I'm the one who's freaked out,lol.Where I lived before (which wasn't far from where I am now),I only had the little yellowish white spiders and they never bothered me.I hate spiders now
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #12  

Back home we had hunting spiders (southern Africa) and I had running battles with them every now and then for territory ... which they invariably won. They are vicious, jump at you, bite and are venomous, so I did not really stand a chance. It was odd to see one indoors but I welcomed them and reached some sort of pact which was conditional on them not seeing me as a food source.

Here, in Germany, there are loads of spiders but nothing like the hunting spider. Our house is teeming with them and I will even step aside for a web on the skirting board to make them welcome. For weeks a little one lived by my bathroom sink and I was really careful not to splash its web.

I do not love spiders is it just that I like gnats and mostquitoes a whole lot less and the people next door have a pond which produces those in droves.
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:28 AM   #13  
Taste the rainbow

S/C/G: 299/241/175

Height: 5'9

I have a terrible insect phobia. I lived in a basement apartment once that had a moisture problem, which meant an insect problem. I of course didn't know until the rainy season, spring. As soon as it started raining a lot there were little brown worm like things everywhere. I found a few centipedes too, one was in my shower on my bath puff! I had the landlady hire someone to spray but it didn't make much of a difference. To this day I am terrified of bugs. I scream like a little girl every time I see one and have a mini panic attack. I manage to kill them if I'm the only one home but it's a battle every time. I still freak out if I see anything move when I shower. Spiders are the worst. Just the way they move is creepy.
Skittlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:22 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I read there are plants that repel spiders... I think eucalyptus is one, and I can't think of the others right now but maybe someone here knows or you can google.

I've always had a fear of bugs- back in grade school I actually got a bad grade in science because I didn't want to pick up a grasshopper (and I was the only one in the class who didn't pick one up). but yep, still to this day I don't like getting close to bugs.

I don't like killing them and picking up dead bugs either... especially roaches when they are dead on their backs, the lightest breeze can still move their legs and they will still look alive and about to get revenge D: the only solution is to leave the room till they leave.

Last edited by ringmaster; 05-13-2012 at 04:24 AM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I also used to be deathly afraid of spiders. My husband picks them up with his hands but I use Tupperware containers. We don't have the wolf spiders here but we do have brown recluse and black widows. I've actually seen both in our house but they are the least frequent.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote