Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4

Default Checking weight tomorrow... scared!

I had previously planned on taking the month of May off from weighing myself as a little experiment... I had reached a really low weight, and had a few really big binges because "I deserved it" and I "needed to gain some weight back". I figured if I didn't check my weight and just focused on eating well and working out that my weight would balance itself out, and at the end of the month I could just check it to see where I was at.

That didn't really work out for me, because then I found myself taking a day "off" and just eating delicious things (not a binge/crazy thing, but just a relaxed plan). In my mind that was okay because I don't need to check my weight until 1 June, right? It's easy to bury your head in the sand that way.

Anyway, point being is that I decided that for me, weighing myself once a week works best and I'm going to resume that practice tomorrow... but I'm scared to see what the scale says! I haven't checked in several weeks and I really have no clue what it's going to say. I look fine and my clothes fit mostly the same, I'm just worried about the number being too high and it freaking me out.

Does anyone else have these kind of anxieties?
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #2  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Sorry to hear you feel anxious about it, that just sucks. To answer your last question - no I dont. Because I weigh every morning and I accept what it says. I might get annoyed, but I always know where I am at and can sort of try to understand why.

Obviously it's sort of silly that I need a daily weigh in to stay accountable, but it works for me so I am not gonna change it up. Why did you change the weighing routine? If something works you shouldn't mess with it :P

As to what the number will be tomorrow - just accept it. IT's already the number today. Nothing beteen now and the scale moment that is gonna change it. And whatever it is, does it matter in the big scheme of things? You look to be practically at goal weight so does it matter if you are not there tomorrow but next month instead?

Sorry if it sounds like a speech but I read too many people fussing over their scale in a way that it makes them feel seriously stressed and it should never do that to you. You have to keep a level head about it. Being annoyed about a fluctuation that you don't understand is only logical but being able to just breathe in, breathe out and move on is very important.

Goodluck!

Last edited by philana; 05-12-2012 at 03:42 PM.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Well, you said you needed to gain back some weight. It's just a number on the scale. We all have off days or weeks and we just get back on plan when we realize what's happening. As long as you feel good, look good, and your clothes fit the same way, don't worry too much.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by philana View Post
Why did you change the weighing routine? If something works you shouldn't mess with it :P
I changed it up because it wasn't working for me... knowing my weight was causing me to seriously overeat/binge eat because I felt like I could, and that's a slippery slope!

Quote:
As to what the number will be tomorrow - just accept it. IT's already the number today. Nothing beteen now and the scale moment that is gonna change it. And whatever it is, does it matter in the big scheme of things? You look to be practically at goal weight so does it matter if you are not there tomorrow but next month instead?
Oh yeah, I'm not like giving up eating until then or anything stupid, just anxious to know what the number is. As I was trying to say in my first post, knowing my weight was basically dictating my actions and my mood for the day and thats what I was trying to get away from. It seems like NOT knowing is doing the same thing though, and then on top of it adds the anxiety of not knowing if I'm gaining or not. I suppose the worry is that if I don't keep an eye on it I will slowly gain weight instead of maintaining.

Anyway, I have figured out that once a week was best for me personally, and once I know I know... I just don't want to be in a funk over it I suppose.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by linJber View Post
Well, you said you needed to gain back some weight. It's just a number on the scale. We all have off days or weeks and we just get back on plan when we realize what's happening. As long as you feel good, look good, and your clothes fit the same way, don't worry too much.

Lin
Thanks Lin, I'm trying not to! It's just been a long time since I've weighed in and I suppose even though I know I've put some weight back on, and that I probably needed to, I don't want to see it on the scale! Hahaha
Old 05-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #6  
say what?

It sounds like you worry a lot! Hihi. Hope the weekly weigh-in works for you. And what's the worst that can happen when you don't weigh? Eventually your clothes won't fit and the most you can have gained without "knowing" it is maybe 5lbs then. You can easily work them back off.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #7  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Hey at least you've learned now what works for you exactly. Whatever the number is you can deal with it, don't give it too much power. It's just a number so remember how you feel. You said you feel fine and your clothes feel mostly the same so it's manageable. By the way you look amazing, what a transformation!
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

I actually have this anxiety some days and I do weigh every day. If I have something starchy for dinner or more carbs than normal, I convince myself when I get on the scale the next day it's going to have gone up. It never does so the anxious feeling is becoming more infrequent, but it's still there some days. All you can do is keep telling yourself it will be fine, especially because your clothes still feel the same. Best case scenario, you weigh just what you did the last time you weighed and you've been worrying for nothing. Absolute worse case scenario, your weight isn't what you want it so you tighten the reins on your eating and exercise for a bit and get it back down...and you confirm that once a month weigh-ins don't work for you.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
It sounds like you worry a lot! Hihi. Hope the weekly weigh-in works for you. And what's the worst that can happen when you don't weigh? Eventually your clothes won't fit and the most you can have gained without "knowing" it is maybe 5lbs then. You can easily work them back off.
What she said. At your size, you're going to notice any significant gain in your clothes very quickly. I hope going back to the weekly weigh in works well for you.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #10  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I do sometimes.

I weighed myself every day during my weight loss and it was totally awesome; I'm glad I did it because I learned about my body's fluctuations and patterns of weight loss. I viewed it as an experiment.

But ****, it got boring when I wanted to maintain. I got addicted to the scale going lower and lower and I started seeing numbers lower than I wanted to. Too much weight gone. Don't get me wrong, I love where I am now but I don't really want to go lower than this.

So I stopped weighing daily which was REALLY SCARY. I was convinced I would gain the weight back overnight or something. I gave myself a month and while I didn't last a month, I don't weigh daily anymore. Instead I bought a pair of shorts with NO STRETCH and try them on occasionally. I'd never wear them out because they're not really comfortable, but I bought them for $3 at the thrift store so I figure they're worth the investment of me making sure I'm not gaining.

Now I just hop on the scale every now and then whenever I feel like to check my weight. Every so often I will do a naked morning weigh in, but it's whenever I feel like it. Last time I did I was 114, so I'm still in my acceptable weight range. At this point I kind of want to focus on my body composition anyway, so I'm less and less concerned about the scale.

I know what you mean about being anxious about higher numbers on the scale though. I'm still toying with the idea of trying to gain muscle weight, but then I would see a gain on the scale! And that would be upsetting! It's hard to let go of that number.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
But ****, it got boring when I wanted to maintain. I got addicted to the scale going lower and lower and I started seeing numbers lower than I wanted to. Too much weight gone. Don't get me wrong, I love where I am now but I don't really want to go lower than this.

So I stopped weighing daily which was REALLY SCARY. I was convinced I would gain the weight back overnight or something....
Yes, this is EXACTLY what I was feeling! I actually did weigh in yesterday and it was right in my "acceptable range" so I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know if I'll feel the same this coming weekend after last night's overindulges though... haha. Evidently seeing my weight in that happy range gave me carte blanche to have some treats!

I think thats what I have to learn about maintaining though; as long as I keep an eye on things weekly and make sure my weight doesn't creep up I CAN enjoy my favorite foods more than I have been.