Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #1  
Low carb lifestyle

S/C/G: 224/216/165

Height: 5'6"

Default May 2012 Atkins Newbies & Chat

Hey All,
I wanted to start this thread for all who are interested in general Atkins chat, friendly encouragement and those that are just joining Atkins and want to get to know eachother so that we have a unified place to find eachother.
I restarted Atkins 6 days ago. I have a story very similar to many of you I'm sure. This isn't my first diet. I have battled with my weight for most of my life but finally discovered the true secret for me several years ago... CARB CONTROL! THis is truly what makes the difference for me. I lost 68 lbs on Metabolic RC diet 3 years ago and had to quit before reaching goal weight because I found out I was pregnant. I have a sweet 22 mo girl now and need to get off the weight I gained with pregancy and the residual weight from before. MRC is so restrictive that I just couldn't imagine going back to that plan. I tried calorie counting for a while but couldn't lose any weight because my sugar cravings were just out of control. I realized that no plan but a low carb one would break that craving cycle and get the lbs off so I ofcourse thought of Atkins. I purchased the book (again - who knows whre the old copy is, moved twice since then) and started reading. I started the plan and have already lost 5 lbs... I AM Psyched!! Anyways, I want to lose 60 lbs, possibly 70, depends on how I feel when I get there. Either way, I haven't felt this confident about getting there in a long time and it sure does feel good to finally feel in control of my body and cravings!! Since hitting ketosis, I have stopped craving the sweets and carbs that were killing me and I am so thankful. ANyways, looking forward to a successfull journey... hope to hear from some of you and your journey along the way!!
A skinny girl in me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #2  
I'm blessed, yes!

Exclamation Hi

I've been trying to start Atkins but always give in by the 3rd day I don't know why...well maybe it's cause I feel so sick i give in and eat 2 bowls of cereal maybe you can help me i really would like to get on Atkins I read the book ...thank you for any advice
Deadlydame13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/190.4/130

Height: 5'3''

The beginning is always the most difficult, your body is withdrawal mode. You need to hold on, it can only get better! Once you've passed this and your body finds an other source of energy i.e. your stored fat you'll be fine.... But you know all this if you've red the book. At this point you have to tell you it's a mind thing.
happyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #4  
Low carb lifestyle

S/C/G: 224/216/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlydame13 View Post
I've been trying to start Atkins but always give in by the 3rd day I don't know why...well maybe it's cause I feel so sick i give in and eat 2 bowls of cereal maybe you can help me i really would like to get on Atkins I read the book ...thank you for any advice
That's exactly what it feels like when your body runs out of glucose from carbs and needs to switch over to burning fat resulting in a state of ketosis. If you just drink a bunch of water that day, especially when that feeling hits, consume some extra ptotein with some fat, take two tylenol and head to bed early that night you will turn the corner by morning, i promise! Once you are in ketosis it all gets better and a miracle happens.... your cravings disappear snd you start dropping the lbs. Stick with it, its so worth it!!

Last edited by A skinny girl in me; 05-12-2012 at 02:27 PM.
A skinny girl in me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #5  

So I'm on!!! Started this morning so I said bye bye to all my carbs and sweets :'(....

I expect to be really tired for the next couple of days so I'll make sure I take as many nights I need!!!

Can't wait to be in ketosis and start to see the pounds melt away

@DeadlyDame: how are you so far? Hope you were able to hold on...
Old 05-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #6  

Are you taking your supplements? That's one thing I have to make sure I take, last time I didn't at the beginning and paid for it BIG TIME!!!

I'm taking:
B Complex
Full Spectrum Minerals
Vitamin C
Cod Liver Oil
Have L-Glutamine in case

Need to get:
Chromium picolinate
Primrose or borage oil

Will not take a form a fiber because I never do well on it, I have a smooth move tea that I will take if necessary, but for me, at the beginning anyway, if my water consumption is good I don't seem to have constipation issues...

What about you girls what are you taking?
Old 05-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #7  

@Skinny Girl in Me; good job in starting this thread it's really a great idea!!! How are you doing on day 1?
Old 05-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #8  
Mz. Matherne

S/C/G: 285/275/150

I just started today. Not quite sure what I'm doing but I'm learning. I have around 120 pounds to loose. I've been sticking to low-calorie type diets since the beginning, so this one is way out of my comfort zone. I absolutely love my carbs, sweets, and fruits, they will be sadly missed! The only thing I am really worried about is getting in all the calories.

Happyrunner - so far all I'm taking is my daily mutivitamin and fish oil.
dandk0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandk0204 View Post
I just started today. Not quite sure what I'm doing but I'm learning. I have around 120 pounds to loose. I've been sticking to low-calorie type diets since the beginning, so this one is way out of my comfort zone. I absolutely love my carbs, sweets, and fruits, they will be sadly missed! The only thing I am really worried about is getting in all the calories.

Happyrunner - so far all I'm taking is my daily mutivitamin and fish oil.
Dandk0204, do you have the book? You can find most of what you need online but I thought it was a great thing to read the book and really understand the whole process, unless you're already familiar with the diet.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #10  
Mz. Matherne

happyrunner - I have the book, I am reading through it right now and learning a lot from it.

Day 1 is almost over and I think I did great. On to Day 2.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:24 AM   #11  
I'm blessed, yes!

Thank u all! I jumped my start day to Monday due to mothers day I will enjoy going out to dinner just not over do it ...but Monday get ready here I come!!!!! Once again Ty for the advice!
Deadlydame13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #12  

Welcome on board DeadlyDame!!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #13  

So I tested negative for ketones this morning... I know it's a bit early but I was wondering. So I'm gonna try to empty the stored sugar in my muscle by going for a run tonight....if I'm not too tired.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/157.6/130

Height: 5" 2.5"

I started Atkins 10 days ago and I'm loving it so far. I just don't get hungry on it. I've lost 3.8 pounds in my first week of Induction. I may stay in the Induction phase until I lose 10 pounds - just to give me a jump start.

I cooked Mother's Day Dinner yesterday and adjusted the recipe for me. It was cheesy chicken rollups. I could have everything except the crescent roll part. So I took the other ingredients and put into some ramekins and cooked it along with the family casserole. I was able to eat along side them with that and fresh green beans. They had apple dumplings for dessert and I had an Atkins candy bar.

I was tempted some but not hungry. I think I can kick the bread/pastry addiction but I am really missing fresh fruit. But I will be able to able that back in a few weeks.

It's my lunch break now and I'm going to search for some good Atkin recipes so I won't get bored. You can only eat so many eggs and cheese, right?

Good luck to everyone. Come back and post your successes and tipes and your trials for all of us to share.
lose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #15  
Mz. Matherne

Today is Day 3 for me and I am loving it. I've lost 7lbs already but I do have ALOT to lose to I'm going to chalk it up to that. I was worried it would be too hard but I've adjusted alot. I just keep thinking why haven't I done this before.

I need advice on how to get my calories up. Right now I can't seem to eat more than 1000 without going over my 20 net carbs.