Old 05-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/149/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Back to school challenge anybody?

Hey guys! So I'm going into my 3rd year of University of September, and I want to return with a BANG! I think it would be awesome to be back in shape come September. Any other students out there who want to join me? or anybody else who wants to start a 4 month challenge? I'd love the support. I want to loose 24 pounds by September, that's like 6lbs a MONTH! It should be easy! but I need a ton of support because I am prone to giving up. Bottom line - 4 months is A LOT of time we could be using to get in shape!

EDIT:

So it's official! We're doing this together! Look at how many of us are in this together!! 49 so far

Kristi22
OhThePlaces
Suzll
ValRock
caramelkitty
munchievictim
kimminy
aleksandra
Princess of the KING
Atarimae
bama girl
SweetPeach3388
delyn
MathGeek
glittergation
rockbanjo
Blcarter84
Tyler90az
summerlove
kitkat1218
psychedout
ChouKoe
ilovemo
abejune23
CkM
chocoholic21
jayferks
Bloopers
fatbookworm
neenie
magsabags
t0rn
TheVikingNinja
PeaceNLove
Linkovicha
jessica2231
ADL
pinksparkles
toastedsmoke
Katbot24
celticrae19
Dreamer2012
aka8941
raspberry13
bluebird19
my2cats
Rocki
redrose8988

*EDIT* HERE IS A LINK TO THE SPREADSHEET:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2U0OG9HMzZuRlE

Please enter all the info EXCEPT THE %'s, they will automatically be entered. If you're new just add your info at the bottom And PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF ON THIS THREAD! If you don't I will remove your name within a week of you putting it there The start date has to be any date after May 6th, since that was the day this thread was created. Your end date can be ANYTHING you want, we are all in this together, but since we all start school on different days, put down what's right for you. As for your starting weight, it should be whatever weight you began with on your starting day of this challenge.

Also, you do NOT have to be in the 20's, so if you know any other members in other forums please invite them And I know not many people are big on posting regularly on the forums, but I would love it if everybody could try to check in onto the forum and update us about your life once a week or so, because we really are here for support and care about you!!

Last edited by spiritualflow; 06-07-2012 at 12:21 PM.
spiritualflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/154/130

I would love to join you! I'm trying to lose 20-25 pounds as well! I used to belong to a forum similar to this, and these kinds of competitions helped tremendously!
Kristi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi22 View Post
I would love to join you! I'm trying to lose 20-25 pounds as well! I used to belong to a forum similar to this, and these kinds of competitions helped tremendously!
That's great Kristi22! Yea, I think these kind of challenges will benefit me too. I just gotta plan out a workout plan. What are you planning to do in terms of excercise and nutrition? I think I am going to start by drinking lots of water every day (at least 4 glasses, which is alot for me, I am probably extremely dehydrated because I haven't drank water on a daily basis in YEARS) and also excercise at least 3 times a week, but I hope I can do 6. But realistically I know that I probably cant just jump into it! But I don't see any harm in trying right?

I'm debating if I should focus on weight loss or fitness right now. I notice how lots of fitness programs combine the two, which I totally understand, muscle confusion etc. But I think I would feel happy just loosing the weight then working on my muscles. So maybe a cardio:muscle workouts should be 2:1 for now? That way I can probably tone up a tad bit and not have lose skin (well I hope that doesn't happen since I'm only losing 20-25 pounds... but who knows :S) What do you think?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #4  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I'd like to join! Though I'm not a student, but a teacher.

This is my first year back at school after 3.5 years at home with my two toddlers. I want to finally be at goal, buy all new work clothes and feel awesome. (Ok, am I showing my age here? I'm at the higher end of "20-something," 28 this month. lol)
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #5  

That's awesome OhThePlaces! I'm in university right now training to become a high school teacher, so I appreciate your motivation to get fit! And 28 is still young!!
Old 05-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 228/222/160

Height: 5'7"

This sounds great! I wanna join!
I'm going into my fourth year in August and this little competition/challenge will help me reach my first mini goal: to look good for the new semester!
Suzll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #7  

Welcome aboard Suzll!! I love your mini goal

So I've personally decided to start tomorrow, May 8th, because I start my summer job that day! so why not kickstart it with a workout! Except I'm probably going to do it at night, because I need a shower and my shower is broken... so I'm planning on showering at somebody's house tomorrow morning (work is at 11am, gotta leave at 9:45). But still, IT WILL HAPPEN!

So what's everybody studying/teaching? Just out of curiosity I'm in a music education program, studying to become a high school music teacher.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #8  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I graduate in September, but I'd love to join!!!

I want to lose 12 lbs by then. That's 3 lbs a month... a stretch for me, but I'll dream .

Good luck everyone!!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 228/222/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks spiritualflow!

Well this is finals week for me so I have 4 more final exams and then I move into my apartment of Friday, so I plan on starting my exercise routine on Saturday! In the meantime I'm working on portion control and planing on what I'm going to be cooking myself over the summer.

I'm a biology major, so lots of science for me; I have a couple music major friends, it sounds fun! =)
Suzll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #10  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm not going back to school (maybe? I dunno lol) But my birthday is in September, I'd love to be at goal or way past that point by then!!

Good luck to all!!
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #11  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

Me me I'm in other challenges but they are all pretty much ending in September so I don't see why I can't overlap? Lol.
I'll be in school over the summer as well as in the fall but I'm getting my second round of lab tests done in September. The first ones showed me basically prediabetic, with high cholesterol in addition to my high blood pressure. Needless to say, I really want the next test to go better.
I've got a French final in like two hours wish me luck! After that, one more to go and then I've got a couple of weeks of sweet freedom! Lol.
Oh and, I'm an English major studying to hopefully be college professor of creative writing, or maybe just write, if I get so lucky
Lots of liberal arts chickas in here!
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #12  

That's awesome ValRock!! Let's do this!! I think 3lb's a month should be manaegable at the very least! Glad to have you aboard!

Suzll, Biology sounds pretty fun, I never took it in high school and I kind of wish I did Good Luck with finals! And cooking for yourself will help ALOT! I really wish I was in 100% control of what I eat, but I live on welfare and can't always buy all the healthy foods. But I try!

caramelkitty, Birthday goals are the BEST! My bday is August 5th, and I hope I'm AT LEAST in the normal BMI range by then, but hopefully I'll be closer to my ultimate goal than that. Glad to have you on board!

munchievictim, the more support the better right? I hope your next tests go better too! And, I see you've already lost some weight which is amazing! You're already on the right track. Good luck with that French final!

Wow I'm so excited to do this with everybody! When I posted this thread I didn't expect so many responses, so I'm pretty excited!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 228/199/170

Height: 5'8"

I'll get in on this! I'd like to just be lighter and healthier by September!
I also want to play more squash. Work has been impeding on my squash playing so I need to find more time for it.
I'm going to school in the summer as well as in fall and I'll hopefully be graduating this next spring with a degree in Anthropology and Sociology.
kimminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/159/150

Height: 5'8

hey ValRock I'm just being corious ... could you please tell me what your plan for this challenge will be?
I'm really struggling to lose the last 10-15 pounds over the last 4 (!) months and this challenge would be great for me but i have no idea what to do!

I work out in the morning 4-6 times a week (I have a journal in my sig).
My regular day would be:
B: 2 slices of bread with peanut butter and jelly
L: some wholegrain pasta+veggie sauce; indian/thai/chinese sauce+rice; potatoes with veggies; blackbeans+sauce; etc
S: weeeeeell to be honest i had the bad habit of getting some chocolate and i've started cutting that of! so now for about 2 weeks i have some nuts for my snack (about 2 handfulls)
D: yoghurt or fruit youghurt with some cereal or lineseeds

i'm a vegetarian.
aleksandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 158/154/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritualflow View Post
That's great Kristi22! Yea, I think these kind of challenges will benefit me too. I just gotta plan out a workout plan. What are you planning to do in terms of excercise and nutrition? I think I am going to start by drinking lots of water every day (at least 4 glasses, which is alot for me, I am probably extremely dehydrated because I haven't drank water on a daily basis in YEARS) and also excercise at least 3 times a week, but I hope I can do 6. But realistically I know that I probably cant just jump into it! But I don't see any harm in trying right?

I'm debating if I should focus on weight loss or fitness right now. I notice how lots of fitness programs combine the two, which I totally understand, muscle confusion etc. But I think I would feel happy just loosing the weight then working on my muscles. So maybe a cardio:muscle workouts should be 2:1 for now? That way I can probably tone up a tad bit and not have lose skin (well I hope that doesn't happen since I'm only losing 20-25 pounds... but who knows :S) What do you think?
Spiritualflow, this is an incredibly motivational amount of participants to return to! I'm excited now! As for my workout, I will be attempting the workout program Insanity. I've heard it's insane (hehe) but I am desperate at this point and am in the mood to do something drastic.

As for nutrition, I want to be consistent with my meals and eat approximately 1500 calories a day with an increase of fruits, veggies, and whole grains, and a decrease of cheese. Cheese is my weakness. It's going to be a sad sad day when I have to eat it as a luxury and not as a condiment! Oh well! It's worth it! Your plan to drink way more water is also something I need to do, and I'm thinking about making this easier/more fun by getting a really awesome water bottle. It's the simple things in life...

When I was in high school I lost around 20 pounds, and you should not have to worry about loose skin. I also mostly focused on weight loss and not building muscle, BUT toning does actually help to lose weight faster. You don't need to do anything crazy, and the 2:1 ratio seems like it would work well! I'm certainly not a professional or anything, though, and maybe focusing only on losing weight first will get you motivated to start toning up once you are seeing the results!

I want to start this now, guys, but all of my closest friends are graduating on Sunday, and I won't be officially home until Wednesday. Since classes are done and nobody has anything going on any more what else is there to do than drink? ...All day ...Every day. Ugh I can't wait to be alcohol free this summer!

Last edited by Kristi22; 05-08-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Kristi22 is offline   Reply With Quote