General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #1  

Default Southwest seatbelts

Hi all! Not sure this is the right place to post this question, but I didn't see anywhere that looked better. I had to fly this week for work, and we used Southwest. Right now I'm a size 24 and was wedged in the seat like I'd been greased to fit. Of course, I needed a seatbelt extender (the gap was probably 3-5"). We're not even going to talk about the chuckle I had imagining what I'd have to do to get to one of those life vests they said are under the seat .

So anyway, since one of my goals is to be able to fly Cattle Air without needing a seatbelt extender, I was wondering if anyone has any insight into about what size you need to be to make that happen.

Thanks!
mcflubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #2  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I flew at a size 20-22 in Lane Bryant jeans, weighing 288 pounds, and didn't need a seatbelt extender. I also carry most of my weight in my stomach area. My hips were 54" then.

So I'd guess you're probably pretty close to ditching the dreaded extender!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #3  

Thanks! I can't wait, it's so embarrassing.
mcflubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #4  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

When I was 285 pounds and a size 24 I didn't need an extender on Southwest. Like Riddy I also carry most of my weight in my stomach area; my hips are relatively small in comparison so I had a bigger worry over the seat belt than the actual seat itself.

Good luck to you!
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/262/160

Height: 5'4

I fly for work...ALOT. I don't need one at size 22, 264lbs.
Cemommster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #6  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I didn't need one at my highest weight, either. Should be fairly soon for you!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #7  
Every step is progress.

S/C/G: 297/221/175

Height: 5'11"

I've flown southwest a few times, and I've been up to a 26 LB size at the time. I too carry my weight in my waist. I've not asked for belt extender, but to be honest, I've almost nearly passed out from holding my breath and sucking it in because I refused to ask or use a belt extender.

I'll be experiencing the Greyhound of the skies next month going to Florida, so I'll have to see how bad it is.
RandomPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #8  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I am about a size 18-20, and I flew when I went on vacation a few weeks ago. I found that on one plane, I just got the seatbelt on...barely. I almost gave up and asked for an extender but I got it on. I got on another, larger plane and was able to get it on without any problem, but it was extended to the max. I got on a different plane and had about 5" slack!

I find it weird, but I think it depends on the plane, and other factors. I went on a 38 seater in March, sat on the right side of the plane, and I had on jeans. Had a tough time getting the seatbelt on. I got on the same plane (not just the same kind of plane but the exact same plane) two days later, wearing cotton dress pants, and sat on the other side of the plane. I had about 3" of slack that time! Weird!

Last edited by Ookpik; 05-13-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #9  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

Just talked to a male friend who said he got on one SW plane and barely got the belt fastened, but it did fasten. Got on another SW plane and it lacked about 2 inches of buckling. He is a 3X size...so the belts were pretty long.
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote