Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #1  
Miral Paris

S/C/G: 191/140

Height: 5/5

Default balancing act of dealing w/hunger; esp. at nite

Hunger is my biggest enemy. I have been good about not binging on sugar, but if I let myself get too hungry I will overeat. Then again, I'm going to be hungry in order to lose weight. It's a fine line to try to balance it and know when to eat more than I am suposed to because I just can't take the hunger. A dietitian gave me the plan so I don't know how many calories it is; I just know I can't deal with too much hunger, especially in the evenings.

1) How do you balance?
2) What do u do when you're really hungry and you have no more alotted food?
3) Do you have special problems in the evening?
Miral Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I think evenings are worst for most of us. But I also think it's partly in our minds. We assume we'll have trouble at night so we DO have trouble at night.

That said, I never counted calories so closely that I was "out of calories" for the day. Sure, there were days when I went over what I intended by a few hundred calories, but that isn't a tragedy, as long as it was only once in a while. I followed my own plan of low cal, lower carb, low fat, higher protein. At the same time, I took a bit of information from WW - most fruit and most veggies don't count for points, so I ate those whenever I felt truly hungry - not just bored. Someone on here once posted something like, "If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, you aren't really hungry." I keep that in mind. I keep apples, pears, carrots, celery, cauliflower, etc on hand AT ALL TIMES. If I really am hungry, I eat those with absolutely no guilt.

Good luck. You'll learn as you go what works for you. And I have to add that you really don't have to be hungry. Yes - I was hungry right before a meal many times. But I realized that thin people are hungry right before a meal, too. I read somewhere that a big difference between heavy people and thin people is how they react to hunger. The very short version is that most thin people feel hungry, look at the clock, realize it's close to meal time and wait. Most heavy people feel hunger and eat - regardless of how soon the next meal is scheduled.

Feeling hungry all the time will probably do you in. Recognizing that you can feel hungry during the day and it won't kill you to wait a while to have a snack or meal will probably be your saving grace.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

If I am really, truly hungry, I will eat something extra. I am not trying to torture myself here and it's not a race. Sleep is an important factor in overall wellness and an extra 50-100 cals is a small price to pay!

If you are running out of allotted food every day, then you need to work with the dietitian to tweak your plan. Either increasing overall calories, or adjusting protein/carb/fat ratios, or moving meals around. I have a few days per month where I have this issue, i would have a very hard time if it was every day.

Good luck!!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 228/150

Height: 5'7"

Does your plan have any flexibility for quantities of certain foods? Like, if you can eat more vegetables, they're a good way to at least quell some of the late-night tummy rumblings so you can get to sleep. But really you don't HAVE to be hungry in order to lose weight... I promise. Talk to your nutritionist and tell him/her the issues you are having, and see about adding some more protein to your day. I'm inclined to believe that if your plan leaves you starving and unhappy, you're less likely to continue on with it long-term. Find some middle ground that makes you happy!
debigulating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #5  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

You can lose weight without feeling hungry all the time! Don't be afraid to tweak WHEN you eat. If you're hungry in the evenings more, skip breakfast and have a hearty lunch and a substantial dinner. It doesn't matter when you eat - only what and how much you eat.

(I don't recommend eating a lot right before you go to bed though, that always gives me weird dreams that I wake up crying from)

Last edited by krampus; 05-10-2012 at 10:06 AM.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you need to be hungry to lose weight. Very rarely was I out of calories and starving when I was in weight loss mode.

There are several things you can do, but first you must decide if you're REALLY TRULY HUNGRY. I find that sometimes I feel as if I'm hungry, but I'm actually thirsty. If I drink something and I'm still hungry then it's time to eat something.

If you are truly hungry at night, consider moving a snack or meal so that it corresponds with your hunger! A lot of people on here don't eat breakfast in the morning because they aren't hungry. On the flipside I DO eat breakfast in the morning because when I wake up I'm famished. I also eat dinner early because that's when I get hungry.

I do find a cup of hot tea saps my hunger if I cannot eat (usually it's a case of bad timing: getting hungry too early, a meal being later than usual, etc.) or a large glass of water does the trick.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #7  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm always hungry. I hate dieting because I'm hungry, no matter what I do. My schedule is just impossible to plan out so I won't be hungry.

I have to change things around, too, since what works now won't always work. For awhile, several small meals worked to curb the hunger. Then I switched to fewer, larger meals as the full feeling seemed to keep me satisfied longer. When I found myself famished by the end of the day, and was losing control and eating the house while dinner was cooking, I eliminated breakfast and added those calories to the afternoon. Now I'm back to breakfast, and several small meals throughout the day..... who knows what I'll have to do next month!

My problem tends to be the hours between lunch and dinner rather than between dinner and bed time, because it's quite a span of time. Even if I'm out of calories, if I'm really hungry, I will eat an apple, or strawberries or a hard boiled egg, or something else that's low calorie but will give me the energy I need.

It often comes down to mind over matter for me. I just have to talk myself out of eating. I don't really need seconds. Or I don't really need that snack. I drink. I used to have coffee with flavored Stevia to help with cravings. That's just how it is for me. If I'm hungry, I'm losing. If I'm not, then I'm not.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote