Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/*ticker*/145

Height: 5'7

Default Protein Shakes

Hi Ladies, I looked a few pages back and did not see a relevant thread, so I thought I would start a new one. (Apologies if it already exists :/)

I wanted to ask about protein shakes to replace breakfast. Work supplies us with breakfast here, which means amazing fresh fruit along with toast, bagels (fresh from Balthazar every day... saying no is a challenge), english muffins, oatmeal, assorted cereal (like 6 kinds) .. you get the picture.. a lot of carbs. I paired the fresh fruit with yogurt for a while, but by time I get into the office, both are generally gone.

In order to avoid the morning carbs and calories (I get enough of both during the day), I started looking into protein shakes. I've done some research, and a co-worker suggested Primal, but I wanted to ask around and see what you all use, and why.

Thanks
sabri711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

protein shakes can be high in calories too, if you have a big one...just read the labels

i personally like quantity so i like to have large protein shakes...i make my own though, with a scoop of chocolate whey protein, a bit of peanut butter, banana, ice cubes, water, bit of vanilla soymilk and a dash of splenda...it really fills me up...

i dont do mine for breakfast though, but i'll have one in place of lunch or in place of dinner...or i'll eat a tiny bit of dinner and then have a big shake and it keeps me from snacking all evening...i dont do this every day and i dont have more than one protein shake in a day either...but i really like them yummm
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/177/150

Height: 5'6"

I use special k shakes (180cal) and I'm always starving after and looking for another kind of protein shake also!

ETA: I'm just like you, I eat a shake for breakfast or lunch and have a small dinner I only eat 2 meals and then I can snack!

Last edited by Rose426; 05-09-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Rose426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 327/239.6/199

Height: 5'5"

I have a shake for breakfast every morning and it keeps me full till lunch time.
I use whey protein powder (150 cal/scoop, .3g fat, 1g carb) with 1% milk, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup strawberries, tbsp of ground flax, sprinkle of cinnamon. That comes out at around 380 calories. It's the most filling breakfast I've ever had.
Unicorn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

If all you're planning to eat for breakfast is a protein shake which will do little to satiate hunger ... consider skipping breakfast all together.

Having said that - dispite the claims to the contrary - paying extra for "high quality protein" shakes is a waste of money in my opinion.

MPI (Milk protein isolate) is your best bet if you want a "natural" combination of whey and casin proteins but personally I just buy whatever whey is on sale.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/*ticker*/145

Height: 5'7

Thank you guys for all the advice and input I feel that generally everyone agrees that the best option is making your own. I'm gonna try some of these recipes and see if I like any. thanks again!!!
sabri711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I didn't use protein shakes while I was losing, but I actually found them necessary in maintaining. It's a great way for me to get extra cals since I can't just eat all of the healthy food in my house. I might ditch them when I start living on my own and can buy the food I want.

I agree with others that making your own is the best way so you know what's in it.

Mine always have massive amounts of peanut butter flavor I toss in some PB2...

Last edited by sontaikle; 05-10-2012 at 07:49 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote