Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default Finding it SO hard to stay within caloric range

When I lost the 30lbs I was eating ~1500 cals MAX, not a cal over every day. Now I find myself literally starving every 1-2 hours. Not just a little hunger/appetite, but a growling stomach to the point where it hurts.
Sometimes I read on this forum that people can go a day eating ~1000 cals and this shocks me! How can someone do this and why can't I???
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Maybe you could use a few higher calorie days. If you are truly hungry, not just bored or having cravings, but like you describe actually physically hungry, EAT!

I have days where I'm totally ravenous and my high range of calories seems like barely anything, and I have days where I can barely make it to my low range. It usually depends on my workouts.

You don't have much weight left to lose! Maybe your body needs some extra nourishment for a few days. My body, for example, has LOTS AND LOTS more fat to live off of than yours does, that's probably how a lot of people can stand much lower calories than you.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinginshape View Post
Cutting your calories is not the only way to lose weight. In my opinion its not the best for your health or the easiest way either. You might just need to change what you eat instead of how much. I found a little article about a general fat loss diet at losefatcenter.com. It talks about glycemic index. You should read that and see what you think.
I've heard about GI foods and maybe that is the problem but I find I eat pretty healthy.. I eat whole wheat, whole grains and lots of fruits and veggies. I eat a whole bunch of chicken too. Although my snacks lately have been low cal granola bars and pudding, and I was never that lenient with myself in the past. This could be it?

And I dont know if its a plateau but I've been stuck at this weight forever now and I exercise a whole lot, so now I'm relying on food to help me lose the last 10-15lbs...
Old 05-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
Maybe you could use a few higher calorie days. If you are truly hungry, not just bored or having cravings, but like you describe actually physically hungry, EAT!

I have days where I'm totally ravenous and my high range of calories seems like barely anything, and I have days where I can barely make it to my low range. It usually depends on my workouts.

You don't have much weight left to lose! Maybe your body needs some extra nourishment for a few days. My body, for example, has LOTS AND LOTS more fat to live off of than yours does, that's probably how a lot of people can stand much lower calories than you.
That's definitely true, I just am so desperate to lose the weight and I dont know what else to really fix!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

How much protein are you getting?
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
How much protein are you getting?
I dont have a number or anything but I think a decent amount.. I usually have a bit of low fat cheese or eggs for breakfast, and lunch is almost always accompanied with chicken, and dinner is usually veggies/bit of rice. I find in the evenings I'm usually done with the protein though, and that IS when I'm hungriest but I've always been that way.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

One of the primary hormones that controls hunger is leptin. Generally speaking the less body fat you have the less leptin you have.

You might want to try a diet break.

Having said that - at 5'7" and 146 you're not at a very high body fat. I'd suggest you focus less on weight and more on body composition.

Heavy weights and calorie cycling around workout days is one suggestion.

Another would be to check out intermittent fasting.

Another suggestion would be to ditch the rice for dinner and go with protein/veggies.

Last edited by JohnP; 05-10-2012 at 01:17 AM.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:45 AM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post

Another suggestion would be to ditch the rice for dinner and go with protein/veggies.
I agree with this. It is best to have rice (or any simple carbohydrates) earlier in the day or drop the rice all together and swap them for green, red or yellow vegetables (non-starchy).
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:13 AM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Depending on the granola bars you're eating, the sugar probably isn't helping you stay full. Even your whole grain items and rice could be causing your hunger!

It's hard to say, but I know that every so often I go through periods where I am just HUNGRY even at my higher maintenance cals. First, I make sure I'm actually hungry and drink something, but sometimes I find waiting it out works and the hunger subsides after a while. I figure it's my body playing a few tricks on me

When you're losing though, you can afford a higher calorie day here and there. First, explore what you're eating. If that doesn't help have a few days where you eat at your maintenance range and then go back to losing.

Last edited by sontaikle; 05-10-2012 at 05:14 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #10  
Miral Paris

S/C/G: 191/140

Height: 5/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystreak View Post
I've heard about GI foods and maybe that is the problem but I find I eat pretty healthy.. I eat whole wheat, whole grains and lots of fruits and veggies. I eat a whole bunch of chicken too. Although my snacks lately have been low cal granola bars and pudding, and I was never that lenient with myself in the past. This could be it?

And I dont know if its a plateau but I've been stuck at this weight forever now and I exercise a whole lot, so now I'm relying on food to help me lose the last 10-15lbs...
Sugar makes you hungry.

Last edited by Miral Paris; 05-10-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Miral Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 228/150

Height: 5'7"

I think you're overestimating how much protein you get... "a bit" of egg at breakfast, and some chicken at lunch, and veg/carb at dinner? Granola bars and pudding for snacks? Sounds like you should take a harder look at your macronutrient balance. Some good fat and increased protein would probably help you out a LOT.
debigulating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Apples and Greek yogurt are "magic" snacks that give me a good hour or two of relief from hungry on those "I CANNOT POSSIBLY EAT ENOUGH" days.

What's your exercise routine like?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Apples and Greek yogurt are "magic" snacks that give me a good hour or two of relief from hungry on those "I CANNOT POSSIBLY EAT ENOUGH" days.

What's your exercise routine like?
I do fitness classes, zumba 3x a week, spinning whenever I can, and muscle classes 2-3x a week as well.

And thanks guys, I'm going to try and amp up the protein today. Any suggestions of good snack with protein?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #14  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

I find that grains make me hungrier, especially at night. Last night, I had some rice with my dinner. I haven't had rice in months. I woke up this morning absolutely starving! If I stick with just protein and vegetables for dinner, I don't start getting hungry until at least 10am.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystreak View Post
And thanks guys, I'm going to try and amp up the protein today. Any suggestions of good snack with protein?
Greek yogurt, veggies with hummus, turkey or beef jerky, hard boiled egg, nuts, cheese, or even a protein shake or bar.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote