Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 08:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

Question Fasting?

I have a friend who claims that fasting every couple months (maybe 3 times a year) is good for completely ridding your body of everything. Nothing extreme, just a 24 hr fast.

In HS, she had an eating disorder and was referred to a dietitian. Through talking to the dietitian, she learned quite a bit about nutrition.

For example, according to her, the human body uses 1200 a day to do daily activities. Last time she was on a diet, she put herself on a 1200 calorie a day diet and lost 30 lbs. She went off it for a month or so and has now put herself on a 1000 calorie a day diet. She says that starting tomorrow, she gets to put herself on a 1700 calorie diet. When I asked her why, she said that if she limits her calories for a week or so and then ups it, it psychs her body's metabolism into thinking that it's going to get a lot of food and thus will speed up.

Any truth to all of this and where in the world would I go to find *reliable* information on it?
Old 08-17-2003, 10:19 AM   #2  

Default Re: Fasting?

Quote:
Originally posted by FrugalChick
I have a friend who claims that fasting every couple months (maybe 3 times a year) is good for completely ridding your body of everything. Nothing extreme, just a 24 hr fast.

In HS, she had an eating disorder and was referred to a dietitian. Through talking to the dietitian, she learned quite a bit about nutrition.

For example, according to her, the human body uses 1200 a day to do daily activities. Last time she was on a diet, she put herself on a 1200 calorie a day diet and lost 30 lbs. She went off it for a month or so and has now put herself on a 1000 calorie a day diet. She says that starting tomorrow, she gets to put herself on a 1700 calorie diet. When I asked her why, she said that if she limits her calories for a week or so and then ups it, it psychs her body's metabolism into thinking that it's going to get a lot of food and thus will speed up.

Any truth to all of this and where in the world would I go to find *reliable* information on it?
Sounds like your friend is doing a bit of the carbo loading cycle. It may work for her if she is doing something throughout the day which will allow her metabolism to "spin up" and burn off those calories. Her body *may* already be in that spin up stage. However, from your post it sounds to me like she is just increasing her calories from 1000 to 1700 with no explanation of what else she is doing to warrant the increase. Is she active or sedentary?
Old 08-17-2003, 10:25 AM   #3  

I started Tae Bo and kind of got her hooked on it. At one time, she was doing two, one-hour sessions (no building up, just doing it). Not sure if she's excersing now. But if she is, it's crunches and weights.

I think 1000 wasn't enough for her. She said she was tired all the time. I'll have to ask her how things are going now...

What is 'carbo loading cycling'?
Old 08-17-2003, 10:37 AM   #4  

Carb loading is when you are usually on a steady diet of fixed calories, and then wean off of it for a bit. Right before one has an event to participate in (marathoners or other athletes use this technique), they load up on carbs to facilitate the use of more energy for their events. It sounds like your friend probably just needs more energy to participate in Tae-bo and just to feel more energized. It does take energy to expend energy, so without seeing her diet plan, she should give it two weeks and see how it works for her.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:07 PM   #5  

So, 1000 calories is completely safe, then?
Old 08-18-2003, 09:07 PM   #6  

I don't think it's healthy to restrict calories like that. Some days we eat a little less, but fasting? Other than for religious reasons I can't believe that a person actually loses any fat during a fast. It's water weight. Anyhow, it's my opinion.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:58 PM   #7  

I dunno. I was just curious about the whole thing...
Old 08-18-2003, 11:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/210/175

When I went to my last dietician, when I was in 8th grade, my dietician put my on a 1200 calorie diet. I lost maybe 4 pounds in a month. After that one visit, we lost our insurance and I had to quit going. From that point on, I gained like, 60+ pounds. I'm currently at the same weight I was when I last saw that dietician almost 10 years ago and I'm losing weight everyday, but it's like my calorie intake differs daily. Somedays I eat around 1000, somedays I eat maybe 600. I guess I just don't want to deter the weight loss. I've been on a few different lowcarb diets in the past year and so far I've lost right at almost 70 pounds. I still have to lose around 95, but it's so much better than back when I weighed 304.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:03 PM   #9  

I have heard that fasting can be good for your body from time to time, but not for losing weight... It is more for colon health... I think fasting can actually hurt the weight loss cycle for a number of reasons. Unfortunitely, fasting can bring on binges. The same way trying to completely cut something out of your diet can. That is why I try to eat healthfully, but allow myself a treat here and there such as a soda or a sweet. That way, I do not feel deprived.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:32 PM   #10  

I'll leave the fasting to her. Right now, I have a 12 yr old SIL that I have to make sure doesn't start any unhealthy eating habits...and regardless of how good it might be for you, fasting for a teenager is not a good idea.

(A bit of a back story: My 12 yr old SIL is into a size 18. I introduced her to the SB Diet--with her mother's permission--and she's doing well. Before that, she was convinced that she wanted to be 89 lbs )

As you can imagine, I want to change her thinking and then work on her eating habits. My friend, I think, is okay on her own (I hope )
Old 08-22-2003, 11:59 AM   #11  

I think exercise is the correct way to go. I am not very familiar with the SBD, but I know it entails some of the Atkins traits which I feel is going to have a huge backlash. I just don't see how it could scientifically work for permanent weight loss. Tell your SIL to walk or try to jog? each evening. I think it is what is helping me. To deprive the body of cravings has to be counterproductive, we have to learn moderation.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:12 PM   #12  

Because of her school schedule, we walk every Saturday and Sunday morning--before the GA heat sets in. In fact...tomorrow is Saturday
Old 08-24-2003, 12:32 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally posted by FrugalChick
Because of her school schedule, we walk every Saturday and Sunday morning--before the GA heat sets in. In fact...tomorrow is Saturday
You could also try doing it in the evening, I know when i was running to lose weight, it was definately cooler then the midday (although any cardio done in the morning is definately the way to go). I know that distances at night time seem to be a lot less...significant..hence the darkness. That allowed me to expand my area of running because it didn't *look* all that bad distance wise. Mind games do work
Old 08-24-2003, 03:48 PM   #14  

I could, jeeplaw, your right. But the whole point of doing it during the morning hours was so I could walk faster--I have my kiddos at night...*but* that's just an excuse (I realized that as I typed). I should walk with her at night, and with the kiddos too.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:24 PM   #15  

Hey, at least you are doing something. Two days a week is twice as good as one, and infinite times better than none! Keep up the good work. I think as you both begin to enjoy it more, you will want to expand the number of days! I am running, and it allows me to eat when I am hungry, and even though I have a treat hear and there, I am losing weight. Thumbs up to you all!! Ga. can be VERY hot. Do not over heat. Southern heat can be dangerous.
Closed Thread