South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/196/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Week 1, P1

so in the first week I lost 3 lbs. I had been down by four but one crept back up. I am beating myself up because I did cheat a few times in there, I am hoping that this week will be a better week. It's so hard when there are things right in your face! But I must say I was proud of myself last night, I did shrimp, with rice for the guys, and spinach for me, and I was fine with that. And I made whoopie pies for them also and did not have one, I didn't even want one! But I did have a bowl of popcorn last night. *sigh* and my other weakness is flavored iced coffee from dunkin donuts, so that is where I messed up once, and the other was when we went out to eat. *sigh* I have decided though since I have sooooo much to lose that I am going to stay on P1 for up to two months (as permitted in the plan.) I just hope that I start losing more... I know that cheating doesn't help but I have to get past the whole deprivation feeling. lol I have to stay focused, maybe chant the mantra of "nothing tastes as good as thin feels." lol I also really need to get off my butt & get moving. Anyhow just checking in, any tips are always appreciated.

Last edited by allforHisglory; 05-07-2012 at 09:42 AM.
allforHisglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

My one question for you (because it's something I would do) is will you continue to cheat if you extend Phase 1 that long? I would fall into thinking I could just have one little whatever because I was being so much more virtuous over a longer period of time (is it any wonder I spent most of my life seriously overweight?!). It's really important for you to complete two weeks of Phase 1, no cheats. That's what will set you up for long term success and overcoming those cravings.

Those DD drinks are a huge off plan, they put a lot of sugar in them. My advice would be to give those up or use artificial sweetener. I can't imagine drinking those won't prevent you from getting the cravings under control.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #3  

yeah I know, it's bad. And like I said, it's not like it's been a daily thing but I need to fight that craving hard. lol I don't plan on keep on cheating obviously, I plan on fighting those cravings hard, maybe take up a new hobby or something lol I fought it today tho, proud of myself
Old 05-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: maintaining

PH1 is hard, IMO. And I did feel deprived at first. But I told myself I could do anything for 2 weeks. And then I did. And by the end I saw results and the cravings were gone. I have found that for foods I most crave, it is best for me to just go without and the longer without the less I crave them. You might try this. Or, look for alternatives. There are sugar free coffee drinks you can get from Starbucks, for example. Or can make at home. And try cauliflower "rice" - that's what I have with shrimp.

Good luck!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Great job resisting the flavored coffee today! As Cyndi was mentioning, there is so much hidden sugar in things. I wasn't able to cut/paste the nutrition info, but the sugar content of a caramel mocha iced coffee varied from 24g. in a small to a whopping 60 g. in an extra large. 60 grams is equivilent to 4 T. of white sugar...and that's assuming it's just table sugar not high fructose corn syrup. That would send my cravings flying sky high.

I have found researching the nutrition of all my old favorites became a very motivating reason to find ways to make better choices.

The good news is that if you truly give up the white stuff and find some acceptable/enjoyable alternatives the cravings WILL go away. It is an amazing feeling to not have that continual tug in my life.

I weighed 230+ when I started SBD, and made a decision to fully commit to 2 wks. p1, then move strictly to P2. I gritted my teeth for 2 weeks, then enjoyed the added variety of P2 and lost very steadily as I stuck with it.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #6  

Thanks for the support ladies I have been struggling so hard to stick to my guns this time I don't know why, I want to lose this weight so badly but I think part of it is some of these "treats" were emotional treats, kwim? So when I'm having a bad day I want that. I bought myself some sugar free creamer to use at home. I did really well with my eating today also, and I think I'll bake up another batch of the chickpeas for the next time I am craving popcorn. I think I may consider this week one of p1 since I cheated last week and take it from there. I am glad I have this forum to come and post on for support and advice. It's not the same to talk to others who have never had weight issues or who aren't trying to lose weight, who don't understand what you are going through. I do have a supportive husband and family/friends but it's still not the same when they don't have to deal with the same.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/157.8/133

Height: 5'4"

Melanie - for popcorn craving, you can also try roasting Cauliflower. If you search the recipe section, there is an entry for Cauliflower popcorn. My husband now loves roasted cauliflower from the last time I did SB.
As for emotional treats - As Mom's we are constantly giving to others, and not taking care of ourselves. Then we reach for a "treat" to fill the need. I know it's practically impossible with 2 little ones and a teen, but try to make sure you're doing at least little things for yourself.
CatMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #8  

Yeah, now that my husband is home I am going to try & do more for myself outside of the house LOL I think this will help.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Great ideas from everyone. Melanie one of my biggest struggles with maintaining is nighttime emotional eating. I have been doing it for way too long. I literally had to force myself not to go into the kitchen after dinner. I know because of my own issues I needed to find a way to calm myself without food. I like to play Words with Friends or online Scrabble (put my mind to use). Some nights I give myself a home manicure (having wet nails helps). On a really bad night, I will even whiten my teeth (cannot eat with the trays in). After P1 and even during it, I noticed changes in myself. Not feeling the urge to eat sweet foods, enjoyment seeing colorful food on my plate, trying new and delicious recipes but most of all not having swollen ankles! I take Lasix as needed to help with this. My job is either extensive sitting or standing. Even when I have been thinner my ankles were swollen at the end of the day. Since being in SB I have only taken my meds once!!! This is a HUGE change. I don't want to take medication for anything if possible. Plus my energy level has improved tremendously!!!

Reading posts from women of all ages, walks of life who share in this journey is truly helping me. First thing when I have my coffee I check the boards before Facebook lol.

A fresh start may be what you need, just don't give up. Every little positive change you make will become habit and negate the choices that got all of us here in the first place.
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #10  
Angela

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'2"

What diet are you guys talking about? Phase 1 of what?
TexaninItaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, this IS the South Beach Forum. It has three Phases. Check out the Stickies for more info.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/157.8/133

Height: 5'4"

Jekel - Where's the "LIKE" button here?? Seriously - loved your post. It was spot on.
CatMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #13  

thank you very much! I agree that little things like that can help too, I guess I just need to remember them in moments of weakness.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #14  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Melanie-

I *have* to echo the girls in encouraging you to do a clean Ph 1. You'll be able to tell a difference in not feeling deprived in as early as 5 days - are you eating enough on plan foods?

It's hard to feel like "I can't have this or that" - believe me, I know. But I also know that kicking sugar and white carbs is what I need to do to be at a healthy weight. That's what keeps me motivated and on plan (I "cheated" for the 4th time this weekend in 10 months on plan and am back on Ph 1 today, cleanly, because it does really help to kick the cravings. It was a ONE TIME cheat, not a weekend of binging either which is a huge thing for me).

I guess my point is that when you are feeling weak - substitute! This site is great for that. And post! We're here for you!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #15  

thank you Jenne I love this place! I'm definitely going to push through the negative thoughts about this and really try my hardest to stay on track. I am so tired of looking and feeling the way that I do.