Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/140

Height: 5'2 3/4 :)

Default Climbing Pikes Peak

So, I have planned a trip back to the Springs and to climb Pike's Peak this summer. I do cardio probably twenty minutes, 3X a week and I am nervous about how to get in cardiovascular shape for it! :| Does anyone have any tips and tricks to help out besides walking and running on hilly terrain?

I am super pumped, but nervous about it! haha

Thanks!
Lackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #2  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

Great goal! I would definitely do strength training, arms and legs, if you're doing serious mountain climbing. Also, you should check out whether there's a gym or rec center in your area with a rock wall. Where I'm from there's this place called rock town that's a big group of huge building sized rocks with natural mineral deposits that give them the surface of a plastic rock wall. Rock climbers come there from states over to practice. We go there and I've never climbed anything, except the rocks at rock town. Lol. I would google within an hour or so of your area for that type of exercise opportunities because it is definitely an activity that requires strength training.
That's all really general though because I have no experience. The fiancé and I plan on hiking the Appalachian trail after I graduate college. It's a lot of walking up mountains, not much climbing though.
I hope you'll have fun! I'm sure it will be beautiful.
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #3  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

Or, are you just hiking up it? Lol.
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #4  
sugar is the devil

I find the best way to train for hiking/climbing is to actually do it! Start with easier trails (maybe an hour round trip to start) and eventually work your way up to moderate and longer trails
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Stairs. Going up AND down. When I hike with people who are in awesome shape, but don't hike, I'm almost certain to see them stumble all the way down the mountain. The amount of leg strength and balance required to descend always catches them off guard. So that would be my recommendation Good luck with the 14er.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #6  
I will do this.

I climbed my first 14er last year. I second the stairs. Up and down.

And stretch before, during and after!
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #7  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

Congrats on coming up with such a good goal for you. You're doing more than me, you couldn't drag my *** mountain climbing; it would scare me shitless.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4

My fiance lives in the Springs and proposed to me up at the top of the Incline. I'm in pretty good shape so I didn't have to prepare for the hike, but I attribute that to my love of the stair machine!

I would focus on single leg movements like lunges and leg presses in the gym (for strength and balance) and use the hill settings on the treadmill, elliptical and stair machines in the gym.

The biggest thing is your footwear... make sure you wear something with a seriously good grip on the sole!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 232/ticker!/155

Height: 5'8"

I live in COS and plan to hike Pikes too by the end of the Summer! Wooo go us
chel3fsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #10  

Thanks everyone for your recommendations! I will be doing the stairs and have started the New Rules of Lifting for Women.

I lived out there for a year and never thought I would be able to do it so now it's just motivation for me to stay the course and work my butt off!!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #11  
sugar is the devil

Do you have a good pair of hiking shoes?! I just bought a pair and recommend it...let me know
Old 05-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #12  

I do not have a good pair of hiking shoes! I was planning on getting some on Friday and then breaking them in over other hikes.

Which did you buy and do you recommend a specific brand?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #13  
sugar is the devil

http://www.scarpa.com/scarpa/product...G/p_66002L-S07

Scarpa SL M3 Women

My boyfriend has the men's. He was recommended this shoe by his friend. It's made of leather and the bottom of the sole is Vibram. This shoe is suppose to last like 15+ years... that being said, they do take awhile to break in but eventually conform to your feet. My bf's friend has had it for over 7 years and apparently they look brand new. My bf has had it for, I think, 3 years. I was told at the store that these shoes are made in Italy and by the time it reaches the store, 40 hands have touched 1 pair of shoes (as in, not made by machines... only by hand).

There's hardly any stitching at all and pretty waterproof (the tongue of the shoe is all one piece...and just "folds") and breathable since it's leather.

Has quite high ratings.