Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #1  
It's Kassie Baby!

S/C/G: 250/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Default No longer weighing myself...

At least not until the end of the month. I'm gonna go off how my clothes fit. Has anyone had success with that method?
kassiebby1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 192/154.8/139

Height: 5'6"

I want to, but I always break down and end up weighing after a couple days! I tend to get a bit obsessed with the scale, so I think it would be good for me to take a break from it. Maybe I'll put it in the basement or something...
emmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

That's how I started losing actually. I didn't weigh myself for about a month and a half and then when I finally did, I found I'd lost ~14 pounds.
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #4  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

This method did not work for me. I wouldn't see results and I'd end up binging on some kind of junk food. Of course, at the time I wasn't really eating all that healthy, but I was going to the gym.... I don't know what I expected with that routine.

The scale can be discouraging or encouraging. So different for everyone! For me, the scale is super important and I weigh myself every day. When I don't, I back slide.

I hope that giving up the scale is what works for you!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #5  

Height: 5'4

Normally I weigh myself once a week, but for this month I've given it up and am not weighing myself until 1 June. I was actually using all my loss as an excuse to WAY overeat, and was starting to gain a few pounds back, and not the good muscle kind!

I am trying to see if NOT weighing myself will take away my excuses and force me to focus more on the mirror and not on the scale. I am actually trying to gain some more muscle while staying lean, and my fear of seeing the increase on the scale is keeping me from really reaching those goals!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #6  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

I did a 40 days of yoga program and my nutritionist recommended I not get on the scale (and she weighed me backwards) during that period. It was freeing. I learned to listen to my body and was able to, after I started getting back on the scale, to use it as a tool and not get possessed over the numbers. Now, during that time, I was getting bodyfat & measurement numbers as well so I had a way of seeing some progress.

Good luck! Was a great experiment for me!
fyreflie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #7  
300+ Chick

Good luck! I am going slowly on the scale habit..by doing it weekly and work my way to end of the month. I wish you much luck on not peaking in the scale for a month..Its tough!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #8  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Unfortunately I can gain a good five to ten pounds and have the same clothes still fit, so it isn't a good method for me to catch regains early and correct. But some people have much success with this method! As for me, I have a date with the scale each morning and do just fine that way. We're all a little different.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 05-06-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #9  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

I have done both, but generally I have better results when I'm counting.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #10  

Height: 5'5"

I'm with you because when i weigh in i always end up derailing because it is so discouraging. The clothes are getting looser, but the numbers aren't decreasing much (if at all)...so yeah. clothes size it is!
shoeluver67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #11  

Not for me! Our scale was broken for a while and when I put on pants that were too tight I ALWAYS thought "Well these things must have been in the dryer too long!" Plus I wear a lot of leggings and those are stretchy so I could double my size before THOSE would indicate anything.

Interesting note, although weighing yourself once a week or less at the same time of day is most accurate for tracking your weight, in one of my "Health" magazines they did a study and found that for whatever reason 'daily weighers' tended to be more successful at losing weight and keeping it off. Of course that could be a correlation and not causation but it was still interesting to me.
Pepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #12  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I stopped daily weighing and have been going by how my clothes fit. I do hop on the scale every now and then so I haven't stopped weighing entirely. My parents got rid of our old scale and this new one is stupid so it isn't reliable anyway.

I have a tight pair of shorts that I am using to check myself. No stretch whatsoever, so if I can't button them then I know it's time to buckle down! I've actually lost inches without losing weight though (according to other scales I use)

You should try to find lin43 she lost weight last year without weighing herself the entire time Very inspiring.

Last edited by sontaikle; 05-07-2012 at 07:01 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #13  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Unfortunately I can gain a good five to ten pounds and have the same clothes still fit, so it isn't a good method for me to catch regains early and correct. But some people have much success with this method! As for me, I have a date with the scale each morning and do just fine that way. We're all a little different.
Ah me too! That's why I was in denial the whole time about my weight gain.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #14  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Same here as Artic Mama. Jeans especially get looser if your wear them more than once between washing.... The scale is my tool.

Just a funny story. I know a girl who decided to try something similar and go by clothe sizes. Once a week she would go to the mall and try on clothes to get her size. Unfortunately she would try on Liz Claiborne clothes that are notorious for being one of the most ample in vanity sizing on the market. She would boast that she could get into a Liz size 12, but her jeans at home that she was busting out of were a size 16! She never did lose any weight...she just started buying Liz Claiborne clothes...
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #15  

Height: 5'5

I've done that in the past and lost a startling amount of weight in a month. I was also exercising 2x a day though and following an old weightwatchers diet. I find I will use the scale as an excuse to eat if I gained or lost. I think as long as you are following a stricter diet it will work. I remember oprah's trainer saying the scale is only a lie detector test. You eat less and exercise more and you will lose weight.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote