View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #22
LizRR
IP: 2/28/12-9/1/12

S/C/G: 214/165 (post-partum)/145

Height: 5'6"/39yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuse View Post
I don't know if anyone can answer this but I thought I'd try anyway....

I guess I messed up - I went out last night to eat and was careful to avoid all butter and oil (even had everything cooked without) but didn't think they'd put sugar all over the veggies. Guess what! THEY DID! And worse than that, I didn't realize until I was reading another thread today that a lot of places do that.

Now I'm upset. I'm sad because I'm trying to do this right and I feel like I made a foolish mistake. I'm frustrated because I feel like this is going to set me back. And I'm annoyed because I can't seem to figure out how badly this is going to hurt my WI this week.

I went and bought Ketostix and just tested - I'm at the "small" amount. I'm pretty upset about this because I've had three weigh ins so far and none of them were very impressive (#1 -2.6, #2 - 3.6, #3 -2.4)... now I expect I'll see even WORSE results on Monday.

Has anyone else had something like this happen to them? And if so, do you know how badly it will slow things down?
Don't beat yourself up, the fact that you tested positive for ketones at any level means you are still in ketosis. You should always test on the low side during the day as you hydrate and the ketones dilute in your urine. Test first thing in the morning, unless you really chug water before bed, it should be your 'strongest' reading. Also, you will have stronger readings at the beginning of IP before your body adapts to efficiently using ketones as fuel, since you will initially be 'flooded' with ketones as they replace your glycogen stores. This is why the sweet taste in your mouth and bad breath disappear after the first week or so.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips011.html

I'm following Induction strictly; why won't my strips turn purple?

Ketones will spill into the urine ONLY when there is more in the blood than is being used as fuel by the body at that particular moment.

You may have exercised or worked a few hours previously, so your muscles would have used up the ketones as fuel, thus there will be no excess. You may have had a lot of liquids to drink, so the urine is more diluted. Perhaps the strips are not fresh, or the lid was not on tight and some moisture from the atmosphere got in.

Some low carbers NEVER show above trace or negative even ... yet they burn fat and lose weight just fine. If you're losing weight, and your clothes are getting looser, you're feeling well and not hungry all the time .. then you are successfully in ketosis. Don't get hung up on the strips; they're just a guide, nothing more.

Will I lose weight faster if the strips show dark purple all the time?

No. Testing in the darkest purple range all the time is usually a sign of dehydration -- the urine is too concentrated. You need to drink more water to dilute it, and keep the kidneys flushed.

The liver will make ketones from body fat, the fat you EAT, and from alcohol --- the ketone strips have no way of distinguishing the source of the ketones. So, if you test every day after dinner, and dinner usually contains a lot of fat, then you may very well test for large amounts of ketones all the time. However this does not indicate that any BODY fat was burned.

The strips only indicate what's happening in the urine. Ketosis happens in the blood and body tissues. If you're showing even a small amount, then you are in ketosis, and fat-burning is taking place. Don't get hung up on the ketone sticks.

Will drinking alcohol affect ketosis?

No and yes. The liver can make ketones out of alcohol, so technically, when you drink you'll continue to produce ketones and so will remain in ketosis. The problem is ... alcohol converts more easily to ketones than fatty acids, so your liver will use the alchol first, in preference to fat. Thus, when you drink, basically your FAT burning is put on hold until all the alcohol is out of your system.

This rapid breakdown of alcohol into ketones and acetaldehyde (the intoxicating by-product) ... tends to put low carbers at risk for quicker intoxication ... especially if no other food is consumed to slow absorption.

Started Ideal Protein - Phase 1: 2/28/2012, Phase 4: 9/1/2012
#1:-9lb,-1.19%; # 7:-3lb,-0.55%; *13:-5lb,-0.76%; #18:-2lb,-0.87%; Start Phase2! Start Phase 3!
#2:-6lb,-1.01%; # 8:-3lb,-0.60%; #14:-2lb,-0.48%; #19:-3lb,-0.53%; #1:-0,-0.00%; #1:+1.4lb,+0.82%
*4:-6lb,-0.95%; # 9:-4lb,-0.69%; #15:-.4lb,-0.1%; *21:-3lb,-1.40%; #2:-0,-1.10%; #2:-1.0lb,-0.33%
#5:-5lb,-0.79%; #10:-2lb,-0.50%; #16:-4lb,-0.98%; #22:-5lb,-1.41%
#6:-3lb,-0.57%; #11:-4lb,-0.76%; #17:-2lb,-3.70%; *on travel WI#3,12,20

Last edited by LizRR : 05-06-2012 at 01:31 AM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote