Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Default My depressing AND exciting clothes shopping trip

I went clothes shopping to an actual store for the first time in YEARS today. I have been so big that nothing in a store would fit me, even in the big girl section, so I had to buy clothes on the Internet. I need new work clothes because everything I own is too big and people are telling me I need to buy better-fitting clothes (even after losing weight, some people still find a way to make you feel like you look like cr*p...)

I was so uncomfortable. I went to Macy's first but couldn't find the 16 and up section and I was too embarrassed to ask where it was. They used to have women's sizes but maybe they don't anymore? So I left and walked over to Dillard's.

I finally found the woman's section, and they must work on commission because the clerks were hovering all over me. I found some blazers, shirts and pants I liked so I got the sizes I thought I needed and was ushered to the fitting room.

Then I had the most amazing experience: everything I chose was too BIG! The clerk asked if I needed a different size in anything and I said yes -I need smaller sizes in all four of these items. She seemed a little surprised (or maybe I 'm just imagining that). She brought items where the smaller size was available.

I tried on one of the smaller blazers and guess what? It felt a little big on me! Not too much, but I wanted to try the next size down! It sadly wasn't available in the next size down, so I decided to just go with the one I tried on because it was on sale and fit pretty well.

I was really sad that I couldn't buy the other blazer and pants. I loved the blazer but the pants were just too long. I am short wasted so I sometimes have trouble with finding pants that fit, even at 5'8".

So a mixed day of shopping, but an overall good day, with running 3.2 miles nonstop and asking for smaller sizes for the first time ever
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #2  

Congrats on the weight loss!! Get to know your neighborhood tailor. I am short so I just have pants hemmed and clothing adjusted. We dont HAVE to buy what sizes THEY think we should be. Most people with clothes that fit very well have them tailored. Very few people can get a great fit "off the rack". Its not as expensive as you think. I have pants hemmed for about $10 and there is a tailor at most dry cleaners.

Last edited by beachlace; 05-05-2012 at 07:08 PM.
beachlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

I didn't realize that tailors cost so little. I may have to return to get that suit I liked.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #4  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Congrats on the weight loss!

Alteration prices depend a lot on your location (here in Brazil it's dirt cheap) but sometimes stores will offer it for free or for a low price so definitely ask!

When I was plus-sized I used to buy a lot from Lane Bryant. They always have sales/coupons going on and it saves the hassle of trying to weed out the clothes in my size so much.

Yay again for going down so much in sizes! Boo to stupid co-workers that feel the need to comment on your appearance.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote