Old 04-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #13

Good morning ladies! Rainy day again and the temp is falling - it was 58 and 8 am and now at 11 it's 54.

I've had a time of it since Wednesday. When I went out to go home from work on Thursday, my car wouldn't cooperate. To me it seemed like the transmission wasn't coming out of park but when the tow truck got there the driver showed me the problem was the left rear wheel wasn't turning. I had the car towed to my dealer and $2,700 later it is like new. Need wheel bearings, brake shores, new brakes, there was a leak in the break line and the water pump had 120,000 miles on it. The timing belt was fraying, and so on. Bear in mind my care is 8 years old and has never had a repair, only routine service. I knew one day everything was going to go bad at once. It sure drives better. I had to pick Casper up from the vet Friday afternoon so Glory took me and got to meet him. She called me yesterday and said she bought him 2 toys. My car was finished at 5:30 so she came and took me again. The dealer is only 1 mile from her house and 3 miles from mine so it was too bad. I took her to Happy Belly for dinner.

Casper doesn't seem to mind his paws much, he jumps and runs around. I do have pain meds I give him twice a day for 4 days. He didn't like shredded paper in his litter box and I was lucky to find recycled newpaper litter at Kroger. The vet told me it was available at pet stores but I know they would have been more expensive. He likes that fine. He wants to be held all the time so is getting spoiled.

Faye, I hope it does take the full 6 weeks for your "troubles" to be over.

Jean, those soda cakes are good. I've also made the sugar-free cherry pie filling and reduced-sugar chocolate cake mix, angelfood and a can of crushed pineapple (baked in a 9x13 pan). They are old WW recipes.

Maggie, I'd like your cake recipes.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another windy gloomy day in my corner of the world. The weather bug says it's 82 degrees outside, and I think he is confused! It feels "cold" with the wind and periodic mist. We went to early church and I've read the papers. I need to do some laundry and work on a Good Will bag, as well as SOS boxes. I get a good start then get interrupted.

Maggie -- I had to about the dog getting a hamburger at McDs. We often will stop there when we are out of town because we NEVER eat at the local one located in WM. We went once when it first opened and it was so dirty we took our food and left rather than eat there. After that there were too many kids from school working there and I wouldn't have trusted any of them not to do something to my food. I chose a WM gift card rather than a debit card. I always include the receipt with the card because I've heard that they don't always work when used in another store.

Susan -- I'm sorry about your car repairs but glad that it is running 100% again. I'd say you've been lucky with so many miles and years without any problems. I wish I could meet Casper! (You too, of course! ) I'm so glad he has moved in with you; I'm sure he is just a little bit spoiled. Did you make the angel food cake in an angel food pan or a 9 x 13" pan? I've never had it but have heard others say that cake is really good.

I came upstairs with a load of towels to put away and couldn't resist checking in here. Hope you all have a relaxing day today and enjoy whatever you are doing!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Sunday On The Chilly Side

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a cloudy gloomy 68º day here in the ♥-land. We are in for some cloud cover for most of the week so say the talking heads. Not much going on here this day. Went to church and out to eat and I did stay in points+ territory. When we stopped by our coffee place Will bought a lemon bar to split and when we got home he had his piece on his desk and Cecil hopped up and started licking it. Guess the kitty likes lemon ~ and these are the kind that will make your jaw tight and mouth water.

SUSAN Did your cat get all four feet de-clawed or just the front ones? We had a cat de-clawed both front and back and that was when they recomended using shredded paper. This vet said cats do just fine with good ole cat litter when just the front ones are taken out. You will find those recipes in your in box for I e-mailed them to you. I am so glad you were able to get your car towed from right there and you weren't driving it at the time. Interesting you had taken your car in for regular maintenance and they never caught any of these problems coming on so you could be having them fixed all along instead of ~ wham ~ all at once a big bill hits. Such is the way it was though and I am so glad for your not driving it when something happend to the car. You use both an anglefood cake mix and a chocolate cake mix in that recipe? Sure sounds good with cherry and pineapple in it. A good one to take to a pot-luck.

JEAN We have been given those gift cards and they always worked great where we used them. Applebees takes them fine. We don't give them to the grads though ~ just a nice crisp bill with a dead presidents picture on it works nicely.

Have a great afternoon Magnolias. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-29-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #4  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood with sunshine and NO wind for a nice change. We balanced at church in short order and I balanced the gift shop money so am ready for a trip to the bank. I did my good deed at church and went through each sanctuary pew collecting the attendance sheets, putting hymnals back straight, and picking up paper that people just left laying either in the pew or on the floor. I wonder who they thought would pick up after them. It was confirmation Sunday so we had quite a few more at the second service. I need to vacuum again today. The sun shows every little speck of grit, crumb, or fur.

Maggie -- I had to at you giving bills with dead presidents pictures on them. I never thought of it in quite that way. We usually give "real" money for graduations too.

I need to keep moving. I have card club tonight, soccer games in Sioux City tomorrow night if it doesn't rain, a hospital dinner Thursday night, and Sioux Falls for Amanda's birthday Friday night. Hope you all have a marvelous Monday and enjoy!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is said that we will get scattered T-storms and a temperature of 74ºs this day. I am showing a “maintain” this day which makes it two weeks in a row. I am so thankful it isn’t a gain though but I am going to tighten down on my program a bit. Will went out shopping this morning and loaded some money on my card so I had fun this day ordering some new clothes from Serengeti. I ended up ordering 4 complete outfits. Some items were popular and already sold out but they will get them in a week so which isn’t bad for I can wait. I like clothes that will fit even while losing weight for I like them to be loose anyway. Like the open weave rustic looking vests that are popular now which I ordered one of will fit for a long while. I am getting an outfit that has a brightly colored floral top with black gaucho pants which is really nice looking. OH there are so many wonderful outfits from that company that I like it is hard to decide what to order. I just received a new catalogue from them today, after I had placed my order, with even more outfits in it that I like. I better hold off on buying more until I lose some more weight though. I like outfits that I can mix and match which actually grows the wardrobe. I just sneezed a number 5 on the rector scale. Something is on the air. I have a cream colored linen pair of pants that I need to take in for I have shrunk out of them now. They are a beautiful pair and I want to be able to keep wearing them on occasion. They will work well with some items I ordered today to mix and match. Since I have this brace on my leg I like to wear pants or long skirts of which I have a few.

JEAN I wonder why folks leave trash behind at church for that is rude to leave it for someone to clean up after them. Good for you for doing it. Sounds like you have a busy week planned ahead of you with enjoyable occasions to attend all week. Keep your focus best you can at these functions and it will reward your next trip to the scale.

Have a great day Magnolias. Type at y'all later. I am off to check the freezer and decide what to thaw for dinner this day.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #6  

Good morning to you girls. Seems like I have been having a time of it remembering to get in here lately. I think it is because I have felt so awful so much, had appts early in the morning and then forget, and tons of knitting to try and get done.

I have a surgical dr appt today and have to talk to him about the rash over the repaired area has still not gone away and it itches, there is a pulling in that area too and I just want to make sure it is ok as it sure can be sore. I am hoping we don't have to go the needle route today and that the fluid is gone after the round of antibiotics. Now if I could only finish the stupid progestin maybe I would get back to normal.

Kelly emailed me last night wanting to know if we could keep Marty the 13-15 and of course I said yes. He hasn't been here in awhile so I hope it doesn't upset him. They leave for their long trip the end of June so it will give him a trial run.

Susan: Glad you got everything all fixed up on the car. It sure took a chunk out of your pocket though, but then with all you had fixed it will keep the car going along smoothly for quite awhile more. Glad Casper isn't having too bad of an issue with his claws being gone.

Maggie: Sounds like you got a lot of nice new clothing. They have some pretty things, but like all plus stores, they can be a bit pricey. Ahh well, you have to pay the price.

Jean: As usual, you are busy, busy. I think I would be worn out all the time doing all the things that you do. I would think you have the car seat glued to your behind most of the time.... We are barreling along to both boys birthdays next month and I am not sure as to what I am going to do. I imagine Mr. Thomas will get money. He is getting to the age where he is hard to buy for and has everything anyway. Jackson is another story. I am still thinking of getting him a Nintendo DS. He is in Orlando this week, his first trip to see Mickey and Jay sent me a picture last night. The boy is such a ham.

I got that beautiful yarn for my dil's socks for her birthday and Jack liked it so much he went to the website and picked out two colors for me to make him two pair of dress socks to wear on the ship. So let's see, I have two pair of mittens to make, a pr of socks for my best friend, whose birthday is in a little over two weeks, a pr of socks for my dil's birthday in July, finish my sweater and my wrap and make two prs of socks for Jack, all before Sept. We shall see if I can get it all done. I have to prioritize so I am doing my best friend's socks now, put aside the mittens for a bit and then will get them done afterward. They are pretty quick. Takes me about a day to knit a mitten so I can have both pairs done in a few days. Socks take longer. My sweater needs both sleeves knitted and then put together and I am just using up the whole skein on the wrap so I can finish it up last minute almost.

Well girls, I am going to go. I have been up since 1 AM again. This lack of sleep thing is getting to me. I can't nap today since I have the dr appt. Have a good day today. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking May Day

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Happy May Day Magnolias!

I am resting now from my walk and catching my breath so I decided to pop in here. it is a mostly sunny 87º day here in the ♥-Land and I have ceiling fans whirring in the house. I am so glad that we saved those stainless kitty dishes because now when Cecil is through eating and the bowl is empty it is pushed off his table onto the floor. He is through and so it pushed away and that must have been how he broke his glass dish. I would feed him on the floor but Beanie would be just too happy to eat the food that Cecil leaves. Cecil doesn’t eat it all at one setting but comes back later in the day and finishes it up. He is getting big so quickly that he just might get as large as Beanie. Ragg Mopp is a pound or so heavier than Beanie. Will is out running errands and going to come home with some diet root beer and vanilla sf ff ice cream or yogurt and we are going to have Root Beer Floats this afternoon. He is back now and I have the root beer in the fridge to get cold. We haven’t had those since last Summer and today one would taste real good. Will needs to go pick up some things for the museum so I will be back to finish this a bit later for I am going with him.

Back now from the errand running. We stopped by Freddie’s and Will ordered what he wanted and I had a glass of ice water to which I put a packet of fiber into and sipped it. My choice for sure and I didn’t feel a bit deprived. At the stationary store he picked up some very pretty stained glass looking document clips for me in lavender, aqua, red, and blue. He had earlier bought me 6 different boxes of flavor packets for water and I am going to put some of each in the Jeep. I can use one of them along with the fiber packet in the water and be happy as a clam when Will is enjoying his treat.

DONNA FAYE You are one knitting factory for you certainly have things lined up to keep you busy for awhile. Hopefully the doc can do something to fix that pulling sensation and the rash. I have seen some of the items that I ordered in different good catalogues that have a price tag 3 times more than I am paying. Same -O- things also. It pays to shop around for sure. I imagine one way they can keep the price down is that they don't have to pay live models to wear the clothing. It is just a clothing catalog and no faces smiling out at you ~ simply just clothing. I can get a top & pair of pants from them ~ where elsewhere I can get just the top for the price of the two items. Yep, pays to shop around. I will probably order from them after I have reached goal also for I like their styles.

Hello Jean & Susan ~ I hope this first day of a band new month is kind to you. Just think ~ 1/3 of the year has gone by already.

Have a great day Magnolias. Type at y'all later.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #8  

Good Evening, Flowers! We just got home from soccer games and pizza afterwards. The kids don't like anything "extra" on their pizza so it was pretty boring. It was 82 degrees, warm and humid at the beginning of the games. The wind came up towards the end and we drove home in wind and rain. This morning I worked in the gift shop; it was pretty busy which is unusual for me. Bob was out on the farm so didn't meet me for lunch, but just as I was getting ready to leave a friend came in and invited me to eat with her. Her hubby was admitted to the ER and will have his gall bladder out tomorrow. The dust and fur bunnies are again accumulating around here. I am home all day tomorrow and need to really clean, clean, clean!

Maggie -- I you for your maintain this week! Your new clothes will be so fun! I don't think I've ever seen the catalog you mentioned. Last night the hostess served a pie made of sugar free strawberry Jell-o, lite strawberry yogurt, and lite Cool Whip in a graham cracker crust, and a strawberry on top of each piece. I have no idea what the points might be but it was light and airy -- delicious!

"Gma" -- It's nice of you to keep Marty for Kelly. I'm sure he is much happier with you than in a strange place. Our grandkids get a big kick out of WM gift cards. They are young enough that their parents can monitor what they buy, but they take forever to make up their mind about what they want to purchase with their gift card money. You have a lot of knitting projects lined up! When you knit you can't eat, so that is a big plus!

I am tired and heading towards bed shortly. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #9  

Good morning gals. I am waiting for 9 AM to roll around so I can call Walmart vision and see if Jack's contacts are in. They were supposed to be in yesterday, but then the dumb bunny who did his intake wasn't too on the ball so I am not sure that was correct info. If they are in this morning, we will go pick them up, get Jack some dress socks, a bag of white work socks and then just get a bite to eat somewhere.

I am busily working on my friend's socks. I am almost to the heel cup, but still have quite a ways to go then I have to make another one. It has to be shipped out no later than Monday the 14th if I send it priority, which I will. I completely zoned on her birthday this year.

I just had to post the two colors Jack picked out. One is a nice sedate man's color, the other is more a woohoo kind of thing. I guess if he hates them, I will take them because I have big feet and they will more than likely fit me. I went ahead and posted Alicia's yarn too. I just love the yellows and golds and oranges and such in her yarn. It is just "her" if you know what I mean. I can't wait to start on them, but I have these others I have to get done first.

Jean: I don't know about Jackson, but Thomas is strictly a pepperoni man. I like mushrooms and black or green olives on mine and Jack is an all meat kind of guy. I am sure you had a great time. Except for Marty being so old he can't hold urine and such so I am cleaning up after him, he is a doll to take care of. Poor little guy can't jump up much anymore between his heart and his hip dysplasia. He is like 16 years old, so I just take his messes in stride. Fortune has become more of a mess maker in the last year too. He puts out a lot more urine than he used to. Seems like I am always getting up and letting him out. It is so hot here already (near 90 everyday so far this week and will continue) that last evening he was panting his little face off. I put ice cubes in his water and he lays on the floor or in my lap with the little fan right on him to keep him cool.

Maggie: Are you talking about Freddie's Custard or something else? We went to the Freddie's Custard in Branson and oh heaven's their burgers, hot dogs and those ff's besides their delicious ice cream. If it was a Freddie's Custard you are one strong lady to have abstained for sure!

Well this is not getting the knitting done, the laundry folded or the dishwasher emptied so I need to go. Have a good middle of the week! Oh and my dr appt went fine. They told me what to do about the rash on my abdomen and he said it feels fine and sounds good too. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24405Large_ac15.jpg (17.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 23224Large_9631.jpg (24.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 26297Large_6774.jpg (15.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #10  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a beautiful morning in my neighborhood after a night of wind, thunderstorms, and rain. According to the weatherman on tv there are more storms on the way later today. I wrote one post and it went into never never land for some reason.

"Gma" -- How did your doctor's appt. go yesterday? Good I hope. The yarn colors are all beautiful! Your sock knitting will keep you busy! I've been trying to brush Ernie every day. For some reason he has been "tossing his breakfast" so I don't know if he is eating it too fast, there's too much, or he's got fur balls upsetting his stomach. He is sure shedding right now.

I am off to clean, clean, and clean some more! Bob is at a meeting all day learning about mold, so I won't see him at lunch time. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Hot Wednesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Well the temp is said to be in the 90ºs today and it is still outside with no wind so it is a good day to spray weeds. I am telling you that the wind around here loves our yard for it brings us lots of trash. Will has so far picked up a huge bag of it this morning. He has to do this every time it gets a still day or our yard would fill up and really be trashy. We had our root beer floats last evening and those 2 point+ treats were so yummy and hit the spot. We have plenty of ingredients to do a few more go-rounds of them also. Since it was the first of the month it was time to give the dogs their monthly meds that prevent them from getting various things harmful to dogs. The lady next door works at a place that has live in old folks and wants to take Beanie there for a visit. I don’t know, for he is so exuberant and loves people he might be a bit much for them. I think one of us would have to go along to keep him “down.” He is so cute with the neighbors when they are in their back yard. He will be by the side fence watching them and if he thinks they are ignoring him he will bark and wildly wag his tail. He is such a cute little guy.

Donna Faye What beautiful yarn. I would just love to squeeze it. Yep that is the Freddie’s. Their frozen vanilla custard is so very good but spendy ~ 8 points+. All their food is yummy. I have been known to use the points and enjoy a cup of that frozen custard though ~ but not often. BTW what did the doc say about your condition and itch? You did go see him didn’t you ~ or did I read that wrong ~ been known to do that.

JEAN So you are home alone this day. Don't you just hate it when your post goes off to la la land. I know I do but that is something out of our control. Hope you get all accomplished this day that you want while Bob is away.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #12  

Good early morning ladies. I am up with a shoulder knot right in the shoulder blade area from knitting I imagine. I bought ICY Hot in this container that is like a deodorant and you just turn the dial and the stuff comes out the top and you rub it on. No more Jack getting nasty putting on cream. I doubt it lasts as long though for the same price. Since he is dead asleep and it started bothering me again, I am just using the heating pad, but finally succumbed to a muscle relaxer to try and help unknot, but they make me sleepy so we shall see.

I goofed yesterday and forgot the dr report and stuck it at the very end and I guess you all didn't see it. The dr appt went fine, he says the antibiotic was a preventative not because something had been wrong. He says my "gut" sounds are good and he felt no fluid buildup. His internist said to get hydrocortizone for the rash and I did last night and it does help with itching a lot so hopefully it will help with making the rash go away. He said it didn't look as red so should go away by itself. I have to see him again on the 15th.

Jean: Fortune is grazing instead of gulping with the extreme hot weather we are having. He eats some then leaves it and goes back and eats a bit more and finishes it eventually about the time I give him his second feeding so we begin it all again. Hope Ernie is feeling better. If it is hot at your house like it is here and at Maggie's it may be just the heat especially if he has a lot of hair as he could be just hot.

Maggie: I am glad they don't have a Freddie's here too tempting. I love their chocolate custard, but then I am a chocolate freak. What kind of root beer do you use? We buy IBC diet at the commissary and just love it. You can't tell it is diet at all. I don't like floats, but Jack sure does. We haven't been able to find the Breyers reduced fat vanilla he likes so much so he hasn't had one in a while.

Well, I had to buy another skein of yarn to try and finish my friend's sock. I am doing the heel decreases right now, but I can tell from what's left it is not going to be enough. Thank goodness they still have it. It irritates me thoughas it is 100 gram skein and that is usually enough, but this stuff is foreign and all the info on the sleeve is in German! So, who knows how many yards it is. A pair of adult socks can be made for around 420 yds.

We picked up Jack's new contacts and got him his work socks and three very nice pair of black/black patterned socks for the cruise. So besides his white socks to wear with his running shoes, he will have 3 black, 1 tan and the brown and green handmade socks for his dressier clothing.

Well, I am going to sit and knit and put the heating pad back on. I imagine in an hour or so I am going to be fast asleep. Have a good one. Faye
Old 05-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Thursday

GOOD MORNING

Another beautiful day here in the ♥-Land with 87º heat. I am slowly easing into the world this day for I have no plans as of yet for this day. For some reason my walking yesterday was difficult to do. First off I just didn’t want to do it and then I made myself but my legs were rebelling. I think I will do what some experts say and that is to split the time between two sessions until my system gets used to so much walking. I am determined to stay with it so need to make a bit of a change in the meantime. We picked up some really good looking blackberries yesterday and they are calling my name right now. I love fresh berries and am so glad they are in season. I get frozen kind during the winter but they just are so much better fresh. The frozen ones make great smoothies though. I got a bit of a surprise when looking up points for what I ate last night and found that it was half the points+ of what a kids happy meal costs at McD’s. No wonder kids are getting fat.

DONNA FAYE Good thing that your rash is abating. I have a rash that comes on my leg down toward my ankle on the outside that I have a perscription cream for it that zaps it away quickly. We get A&W diet root beer which tastes like the real thing and have Blue Bunny vanilla diet ice cream for the floats ~ which is good and creamy.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and NO wind again today. However thunderstorms are predicted for later this afternoon through the night. We have a thank you dinner at the hospital tonight, for donating money towards one of their fund raisers. I'm thinking about a pedicure but would need to shave my legs first.

Maggie -- I did get most everything done yesterday. There is always more "to do" things waiting; I really need to sort and pitch in the basement. I just don't like being in the basement even though we have a tv down there, it's still a basement.

"Gma" -- I hope your shoulder is feeling better and you got a nap in this morning. I did miss your doctor appt. comment as I guess I was concentrating on the yarn pictures. Ernie seems to be fine today. He gets a dab of soft food in the morning and he is always pacing around waiting impatiently for it.

I need to think about something for lunch as Bob will be home soon. Enjoy your day and be nice to someone!

Last edited by Jean; 05-03-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD MORNING

It is a warm day here this Friday here in the ♥-Land with a temp of 75º’s as I type and fixin’ to get up to 93ºs and beyond this day. After while we are going to have a salad at Mc D’s and then go yard sailing. At Mc D’s I will have the Premium Caesar Salad w/ Grilled Chicken for 5 Points+ and Newman’s Own Lo Fat Balsamic Dressing for 1 Point+. We are on a quest for carbon steel kitchen knives. The new models of kitchen knives have too much stainless in them and don’t hold an edge worth spit. I have one that has so much carbon in it that if it isn’t washed and dried promptly after using ~ it rusts quickly. But it is one of my most favorite knives and I take good care of it and Will keeps it nice and sharp. Not much happening here on this front to speak of. The usual house work, exercise, glass work. Ah but we are going yard sailing in awhile. We only do that when we are on a quest for a certain item.

JEAN What did they serve at the "Thank You" dinner you attended? The award dinners are fun to attend aren't they. It is a good feeling isn't it to get everything done that you have on your list.

Have a great day Magnolias. Type at y'all later. We are off to have lunch and go sailing.

LATER: Back now from yard sailing and didn't find any knives to buy. However the Tupperware lady had lots of out of style colored ~ but still new ~ items on sale. I got 2 different sized thumb handle mixing bowls, 1 large square storage container, and a 1 qt sized modular mate for a pitence of what they would have cost new. So I am a happy camper for I don't have to have the latest colors in my storage and mixing things.

Last edited by Maggie; 05-04-2012 at 06:00 PM.