Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #1  

Height: 5'11

Default No weight loss , but feel toned?

I have started strength training with a personal trainer, this is my 4th week and I've only lost 6 pounds, but feel my clothes are smaller. I know its a catch 22 with strength training, alot of people say the weight loss on the scale does not show until later. But I can't help being dissappointed I have'nt lost any weight this week, my first impulse reaction is to cheat....but stopped myself eating a whole bag of chips last night ;/

Does anyone have the same issue with strenght training, not showing great on the scale but clothes fit better? I know it sounds rather silly of me, because one of the stat's are working...but amazing how the scale can make a difference to one's feelings about dieting and working out.
Thkdiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I went three months without my scale moving but did go down one clothing size due to working out with weights. The scale will catch up. Good job not eating a bag of chips.
Be proud of your 6lb loss. That really is an accomplishment, be proud!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

There is a huge difference between weight loss and fat loss.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMom View Post
I went three months without my scale moving but did go down one clothing size due to working out with weights. The scale will catch up. Good job not eating a bag of chips.
Be proud of your 6lb loss. That really is an accomplishment, be proud!
Wow, 3 months, good for you in hanging in there......thanks for the support! It helps! Darn scales...;////
Old 05-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #5  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

My nutritionist said that for every 3 lbs of fat we lose, the 4th lb is muscle, unless we replace it. I've lost probably 5-6 pounds of fat more than the scale is showing because I've replaced some of the muscle loss dynamically. I've had times when the scale didn't move but I was losing bodyfat, and my measurements were reducing. The scale is only one indicator.. so YES! Totally been there! Clothes are the most accurate measure really... they fit or they don't!

Oh yea, I'm currently wearing jeans that I bought when I was 145 lbs. I'm 163 now and they fit. When I was 163 previously NO WAY were they going on! Just as an example.

Last edited by fyreflie24; 05-03-2012 at 07:42 PM.
fyreflie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #6  

Thank you for your help. Feel much better now, instead of being disappointed !
Old 05-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #7  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Hey, I hear you. See how my ticker says 0 weight loss. ZERO. I've been doing Bikram yoga for 2 months as well as cardio and some resistance training at the gym. After the first month I had GAINED weight. People were commenting on my weight loss. I was noticing a difference. My clothes were looser. my yoga teacher said my weight loss was incredible - but I was actually UP two pounds at that point.

Be glad you've lost weight!! I am losing now, too - very slowly I've lost all my weight gain and it's possible the start day I weighed myself was an erroneously low measurement - I only weighed myself once and then weighed myself again almost four weeks later. I nearly died when the scale showed a 12 pound increase.

I agree it does make it hard to stay motivated and I've been having some trouble with my food lately.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #8  
~Cupcake

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/130

Height: 5'3''

My scale hasn't moved much, but my clothes fit a lot looser and I have been able to take on more intense workouts. Good job on stopping yourself before cheating, and congrats on the 6 lbs weight loss
Plexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #9  

Thanks for the encouragement, so dearly appreciated let me know how it goes for you.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 174/167/145

Height: 5'8

Hi, I'm similar to that.
Ever since I started working out, I've been able to gain a good amount of muscle, but nothing impressive.
Now that I'm trying to lose this weight off again, I've been getting more and more active- both to lose weight and because I just love being active! I garden- carrying rocks in fromt he woods for beds and lugging dirt, I bike, up and down hills, I started going to pilates 2 weeks ago on Saturdays (huge help, I can tell!), and I've gone running more. Plus, I do eliptical set on a level 15, yoga, and weight machines here and there.
This has all lead to my legs and arms being hard but still pudgy, and I've only seen a 2 lb difference so far. But fat can be stored in between muscle (which is why those big guys who think they're all that bother me... they're not as muscular as they think! And, just because they're teen guys doesn't mean they can eat whatever they want!)
So, I think that I've gained more muscle and have lost more than 2lbs of fat- it just doesn't show on the scale 'cause of the new muscle.

Anyway, I'm glad I've gotten more toned

Last edited by MeganTheMushroom; 05-05-2012 at 07:20 AM.
MeganTheMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

I was stuck at 160 for months (mental thing, not because of my program) and I was feeling really deflated. One day I decided to take my measurements (I take them every 10 lbs), even though I hadn't lost an ounce, because I work out 5-6 days per week and I was curious because it felt like my clothes were loosening a bit. Found out I had lost inches, even though I hadn't lost a pound. Almost an entire inch just from my waistline!

I've now learned to be happy, truly happy, with NSV! Since I'm close to goal now, I'm not going to see huge weight loss every week - but seeing inches come off - that was fantastic!
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #12  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

For stretches that happened to me on my way down; no reason to sweat it. Also great job calling out your cravings and resisting the chips.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 150/**/110

Height: 5ft

Took me two months while working out 4 times a week and I could not even move the scale down. I was frustrated and I was really wanting to see the numbers go down. But I noticed my clothes were a little bit looser and my pudgy face now looks longer (my jawline is showing yeay!) and my measurements down some inches. So hang in there and you will see your results soon!
nusoleil79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #14  

I've had a much better week this week. Lost a pound perhaps. But feel much toned. Climbed 2300 steps yesterday and rode 22 miles on the bike. I figure sumthg has to be working , clothes are loser. Going to try to hang in, at least give myself 6 months. I didn't gain all this junk in my trunk overnight. I am an emotional eater, life gets hard or if I'm lonely I reach for food, trying so hard not to anymore. Everyday is a challenge to not relapse, but some days are now better, healing eventually has to happen or we have to let it. This forum has helped me so much. You guys rock.