Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #1  

Default ornish diet

Hi all. Has anyone tried the ornish program. Dr dean ornish has a book out called eat more, weight less. Can anyone tell about it or have tried it.
Thank's
sammie192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'4"

Dr Ornish (and a number of other doctors) support a plant-based whole foods diet. I've been watching a ton of their dvd's (I say "their" because they are all of the same belief). Basically, they believe that there is really one diet to treat everything----obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc, etc. It is to reduce/eliminate fat from the diet, minimize sugar, increase fiber, exercise, and eat veggies, fruit, grains, beans. You can eat a lot of that kind of food for very few calories. I am a believer. My 82 year old dad has followed Dr Dean Ornishes reversing heart disease plan for 20 years. He did it because after 2 heart attacks and two rounds of cancer when he was in his early 60's, he knew he needed change. He has been on board with this diet 100% and is doing well. In a way, the diet seems very simple.....eat plant based food. On the other hand, for someone who eats a lot of dairy or meat, it takes getting used to. Many years ago, I told my dad, "You have to be desperate to eat like that." He said, "Yeah, a heart attack and cancer can make you pretty desperate." Finally, the last 4 months, I've transistioned to that diet/life-style as well. My husband is on the diet and has significantly improved his diabetes and cholestrol and weight. My cholestrol has dropped, no problem with diabetes, and I'm losing weight. Ironically, we didn't start this plan to lose weight----we started it to get healthy---the decreased weight just happened. Others who are in sync with Dr Dean Ornish are Neal Barnard, John McDougall, Jeff Novick and Caldwell Esselstyn, and his son Rip, etc. If you have an opportunity, watch the Forks over Knives dvd; It's excellent and an eye opener. Some libraries or churches have it to borrow, or you can buy it for $20. I just ordered cookbooks by 3 of these guys on Amazon last week, so yeah, I'm sold on this lifestyle.....and pretty excieted about it if you can't tell. Good luck.
sunshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #3  

Thanks Sunshana This is some I thing I want to try.I say try because everytime I said I am going to do, it just don't happen.
sammie192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #4  

I have Dr. Ornish book you speak of. I lean more toward Dr. McDougall's way of eating. I feel best doing his plan. Vegan.
cookinmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'4"

I would recommend doing it in steps, and there are several ways you can do that. Either add one plant based meal per day, then add another. Or, have 2 days a week that you eat plant based and slowly increase the number of days per week. Otherwise, it can feel overwhelming. Now, after saying that, I will say this: When you commit to doing it 100% for 21 days, or 30 days, that is when you will see and feel the changes in your body. My husband, who has type 2 diabetes, has always been lethargic. Now he's bragging about all the energy he has to walk up and down hills, etc. If you need motivation, I can't recommend Forks Over Knives enough.
sunshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 164/160/140

I love Dr. Ornish I haven't read this book, but I have read some of his other ones. His program is being picked up by health insurance companies because of it's success rate (reversing heart disease). Good stuff!

Another book that's great, if you're interested in going to a plant based diet, is The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell. I became a vegetarian after reading it
veggiegirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote