Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/*see ticker*/120

Height: 5'3

Default Weighing yourself before bed and first thing in the morning

So I was curious last night. I wanted to see the difference in how much weight you generally loose at night with a full nights rest. I weigh myself daily, yesterday morning I weight 126.6, last night at 10pm I weighed 128.8 this morning at 6:30 I weighed in at 125.2! Its crazy to think how much your body fluctuates in just one night! I was really shocked that I had lost so much, and with 125.2 being my lowest weight so far. Now I'm interested in doing this experiment on a daily basis, weighing myself at approxemetly the same time both day and night, just to see how much are body really fluctuates.
SoCalCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I do this every day. Why? I kind of want to see the preview for tomorrow. I can get a 'pretty' good idea of what I'll see the next morning. Like, if I woke up at 170 and went to bed at 170, I know I'll have a drop the next morning. If it's 170 in the morning and 174 at night, I know I'll have an increase in the morning.

Of course, I cannot know precisely how much I'll lose overnight, but I have come to learn that it's usually 1.5-2 pounds. More, naturally, if I have to get up during the night to pee and STILL need to pee a lot in the morning. Less, if I was a bit dehydrated the day before (forgetting to drink much).

I do it so that I don't get anxious/lose sleep overnight with wondering what I'll see. I get that sometimes as I'm heading into a new weight decade - like out of the 160s etc.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #3  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

berryblondeboys I do the same thing!!

I weigh myself every day twice a day, once in the morning after I have used the washroom and gotten undressed, and once right before bed, again, naked. lol

I too do it for the preview, so I know what to expect in the morning.

It's fun! lol
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #4  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I've been doing that for over two years now. A lot of people cannot stomach (LOL, no pun intended!) those simple every-day fluctuations, but for me, it really helps me understand how MY BODY works. Sometimes I may eat too much sodium one day & expect a higher weight the next morning, and am still - after two years! - genuinely surprised to see a DROP on the scale.

On the flip side of that coin, when I know I've eaten well and been "very good" and then see a higher weight the next day, I get a little miffed! - UNTIL I REALIZE - "Hey, this is how MY BODY works." And as long as I'm losing the weight - no matter how slowly! - then I'm fine, I don't freak out or give up.

I find this method is especially helpful to me during TOM, because I can literally see my bloat ON THE SCALE. Then it comes off with a whoosh & I feel light as air.

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 05-03-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #5  
Natural Diet Queen

S/C/G: 58/52/48

Height: 5'3

I weigh myself once a week instead daily. got this tip from the experts

Tip No. 11: Weigh yourself once a week.
People who weigh themselves regularly tend to have more weight loss success. But most experts suggest weighing yourself only once a week, so you’re not derailed by daily fluctuations. When you weigh yourself, follow these tips: Weigh yourself at the same time of day, on the same day of the week, on the same scale, and in the same clothes.

Resource: http://aboutthedietsolutionprogram.c...t-loss-journey
hazyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #6  

I weigh myself multiple times a day because I am fine with fluctations, I think that if its frusterating to weigh yourself at your current frequency, just change that and do what feels best for you.
Even if I weighed myself at a consistent time, I will always see fluctuations. Its poo, water weight, sweat, water retention, lots of things for lots of reasons, so I just weigh myself a lot expecting a 2-3 lb difference unless its TOM.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I weigh myself each Thurs. and Fri. mornings. I take the best of the two as my weekly weight. But it is amazing how much weight can fluctuate over a 24 hour period. I try not to panic if I see a pound or two rise....unless I see it the next week, too!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #8  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

hazyl most of the people that i know do the same thing and only weigh once a week, I personally, can't do it.

If I work hard all week and dont see any result at the end of the week I'll freak out and be tempted to quit. I'd rather know daily why it's not doing anything or why it's not going down, or if it goes up because of a binge or a high sodium meal.

But hey, everyone has to find their own way. My friend HATES daily fluctuations, she'll text me and freak out hahahaha
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 193.4 / 133.0 / 120

Height: 5'1

I experimented a lot with the night/morning weight last month to see how my body fluctuates. It's between 1.5-2lbs for me also.
hle82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #10  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

If I were to do any other weigh-ins, it would be once every 28 days (or so). As I've learned my body and I've learned it ONLY from weighing daily, twice daily.

My weight goes like this:

TTOM (Period) Day 1-4/5- a bit high throughout.
5-12 days with starting TTOM - slow decline, but not quite to as low as it was before TTOM,
Days 12-ovulation on day 14/15 - sharp increase of 3-5 pounds.
Days 14/15-17/18 holding high a slight drop from ovulation.
Days 17/18-28 - whoosh! First the ovulation weight gain comes off and then any other weight loss for this cycle will come during that time too.
Day 28/29 slight increase with impending TTOM
Day 1 TTTOM- day 4 - slight increases...

REPEAT!!!!!

So, only if I were to weigh in a day or two before TTOM every cycle would I trust those numbers to mean anything. If I weighed once a week or once a month, I might hit the times of the month where I gain for no other reason than hormones.

I'm a firm believer that it's much better to KNOW what's going on with your body and to learn to deal with fluctuations than to look at the scale with puzzlement and horror at showing increases and you not understanding WHY there are increases.

So, isntead of telling people to just "weigh once a week or once a month" to not freak out over weight gains, I think it's far more helpful to TEACH people that our weght is always fluctuating and that's normal and that it's the downward TREND we are looking for.

But that's my opinion, of course.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 05-03-2012 at 11:16 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #11  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazyl View Post
I weigh myself once a week instead daily. got this tip from the experts

Tip No. 11: Weigh yourself once a week.
People who weigh themselves regularly tend to have more weight loss success. But most experts suggest weighing yourself only once a week, so you’re not derailed by daily fluctuations. When you weigh yourself, follow these tips: Weigh yourself at the same time of day, on the same day of the week, on the same scale, and in the same clothes.

Resource: http://aboutthedietsolutionprogram.c...t-loss-journey
All of us here at 3FC are "experts" - we're experts in OUR OWN PERSONAL JOURNEY of weight loss. What works for one might not work for another. So while some people weigh in once a week, others do it once a day (or even more - in the beginning I weighed 2x per day - morning, before breakfast, and evening, after dinner - to see what my body had done during the course of a day after eating & exercising & doing regular daily routine) while still others don't use a scale at all, preferring body measurements & clothing size to discern their weight loss.

FTR, I always weigh in the morning; after potty time, before breakfast, and completely naked, because I don't care how much my clothes weigh.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/151.8/147

Height: 5' 9"

I tend to retain A LOT of water weight over the course of a day....so I NEVER weigh at night anymore--just once as soon as I wake up.
MOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #13  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Just a curiosity question, for those of you that weigh every day, how do you record your weight for weight loss? Do you just pick the lowest weight of the week, or do you have a set day for recording the weight?
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #14  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
Just a curiosity question, for those of you that weigh every day, how do you record your weight for weight loss? Do you just pick the lowest weight of the week, or do you have a set day for recording the weight?
I also weigh myself at night and first thing in the morning. I use my weekly Saturday morning weight as the weight of the week. So after I weigh on Saturday morning, I write it down and use that for my weekly weight.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 169.75/125/125

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
I tend to weigh every day, but only my Wednesday morning weigh in counts.

I'm similar to Berry in that I like to know what's going on with my body and so I'd rather weigh daily and see the trends and know why then just randomly pick a day to weigh.
d130 is offline   Reply With Quote