Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 08:18 PM   #1  

Default Tony Little's Gazelle Freestyle Elite?

Has anyone ever used this and do you like it? Did you get support promised etc? I am thinking of purchasing it for my dh and I to use during the winter months instead of walking. I do an hour of water aerobics but that will end in about another month. I would appreciate any input you have!
Old 08-18-2003, 11:35 AM   #2  
Getting healthier daily!!

Default Gazelle...

Hello.

I don't have a Tony Little Gazelle. I have a Weslo Air Strider which is similar but heavier and doesn't have bands.

I love it!!! I've had it for a few years and it is the one piece of equipment that I use regularly!!!

Because it is non-impact (I have very bad joints) I can do it even when my joints are not happy. If you get a Gazelle, I know you'll love it as much as I love my Strider.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:24 PM   #3  
Om shanti

It's amazing, but there is an incredible amount of controversy about the Gazelle, with respect to how effective it really is. If you search many diet and exercise web sites, you'll find a rather large amount of conflict. One thing seems very clear: The pistons make a big difference with respect to efficacy. I'd hope that with the pistons set to Level 1, the Gazelle would be comparable to walking on a treadmill in terms of calories burned, but there isn't anything indicating that.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:31 PM   #4  

Default Gazelle...

When I use my Strider I do 1200 reps (strides) in 20 minutes. That's really flying for me. No impact means that I can go that fast and not get hurt. I can't walk that fast either on the pavement or treadmill because the faster I go the more the impact.

You just have to decide what's the most important factor for you. You could go to a sporting goods store and try one. Then you would have a better idea of what they are really like. You could even try different brands while you're there.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:29 AM   #5  

Thanks for the input so far. I have a bad knee that will act up from time to time and though I have little if any trouble with it in the water, the pavement is a different story. Where I live all the streets and sidewalks a ^ shaped for rain runoff and boy does it kill my hips when I walk. I really think this might be the answer to having a workout for the winter months. Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:30 AM   #6  
Om shanti

Bad knee, eh? Argh. From what I've read, the pistons on the Gazelle put some strain on the knee -- the very thing that makes the equipment arguably worthwhile, is the very thing that makes it potentially problematic for you.

Have you considered yoga? :-\
Old 08-21-2003, 11:16 AM   #7  

Default Gazelle...

First a little background - I have severe degenerative arthritis throughout my body. Three years ago I was told that I would probably be in a wheelchair in another year. Through losing weight and exercising, I have been able to put this off for many years.

The Strider that I have is wonderful for me. No impact and no stress on any joints. When my back is at its worse, I can still get on the Strider. (slower perhaps but still striding!!!)

If one uses the form demonstrated on the video that comes with most of these machines, all will be well. (don't lock knees, etc.). Of course, common sense is important.

But I have had wonderful results from using my Strider - it helps me keep looser and more limber.

I still suggest that if you are considering buying a Gazelle or similar machine, go to an exercise equipment store and try one out. I think it will put your mind at ease and you will also see that it is so easy to do. When something is easy to do, you're sure to continue using it!!!
Old 08-21-2003, 12:57 PM   #8  

Thanks Carleen, but I won't have to! One of the guys my husband works with GAVE me a nearly brand new one for free just to get it out of his house. The only "problem" I have is my chubby legs still rubbing together! Thank you again for taking all the time with me about it!

Faye
Old 08-21-2003, 02:16 PM   #9  

Default Gazelle....

Good for you - a free one!!!

I got mine by accident. I stopped at a garage sale a few years ago and there was this Strider still in its box, all new and unused. The fellow came up to me and said I could have it for $20. Well, I had just $10 in my jeans pocket so I told him that and he said SOLD. He said his mother had decided to "get healthy", bought the Strider and died before she could assemble it!!!! jeesh.

Anyway, I handed over my $10 and he loaded it into my truck.

When I got home, I tried to take it indoors but it was so heavy that I had to take the pieces indoors piece by piece!!! He was really a strong guy! Then, after I got it all laid out on the floor, I took a look at the assembly instructions.

The very first line said "Assembly requires two persons". So, since my husband was on a business trip for a week, the Strider stayed on the floor until he returned!!!

I think of that poor woman often. How sad (but this is really funny in a strange sort of way!).

I'd be willing to bet that after a short while of doing a workout on your Gazelle, you're legs will take on a brand new look!!! Best of luck with your new toy!!!
Old 08-22-2003, 08:17 AM   #10  

Carleen: Whoo, I did 15 minutes on it this morning. I wanted to give up after about 2 because my hip started aching, but I hung in there and kept at it and the ache did go away! The only thing was I just put on my old Payless sneakers because they were downstairs instead of coming upstairs and putting on my New Balance and so my feet hurt (I am totally flat footed) so I learned a lesson. I am still doing my hour of water aerobics until the pool closes but would like to get at least 15 minutes building it up gradually now so that when I have to use the equipment exclusively I will be all set to do it. I think I did about 700 reps but 100 of those were standing still and pulling the bars towards me to work my biceps. I still have about 170 to lose and have lost 90 and already am having skin droop big time so whatever I can firm up I am sure going to try and the bicep reps I can really feel. Thanks for your encouragement and hope you reach your goals soon!

Faye
Old 08-22-2003, 07:20 PM   #11  

Default Gazelle....

Wow - you did well!!! Yes, those shoes are important! Don't do it barefooted - you'll be sorry! (Don't ask how I know this!!!)

I go to Curves for Women now and I really like it. I've firmed up a lot. I'm sure you've heard about Curves. One thing I like about it is that there are women there of all sizes and shapes. You might want to consider something like that for when the pool closes.

In the past, I lost 50# and kept it off. Now I've renewed my effort and have lost another 25#. Only 10-12 to go!!!

Hubby is losing weight also and he's down 45#. He's starting to look very good.

Best wishes.
Closed Thread