Old 04-30-2012, 03:24 AM   #1  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Default Water weight and strength training..

Morning friends!

I have lost 50+ pounds in the last year by counting calories and excercising. So at the beginning I used to weigh myself weekly to see when the numbers drop. However since I'm so close to maintenance now, I don't get on the scale that much. I prefer to see it in my clothes now.

I started strenght training about 3 weeks ago, because I'm "skinny fat" now (Skinny with flab haha) and I heard that the results people get from strenght training (Especially women) are fantastic. I didn't weigh myself at the start of the 3 weeks but I can really see a change already in my arms and abs. Now when I start any form of new excercise, the water weight creeps up and now that it's TOM it doesn't help either.

My question! When do you guys think I can weigh myself? Considering that I don't want the bloat from the water weight and TOM to show? Weird question I know..
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I think that if you are weight training regularly, then the water retention should stabilise and either you will drink enough water that it will pass and not be a problem, or it will be roughly constant and you wont notice it because of that. So basically, any time when its not TOM and you have been doing that exercise for a few weeks I think.
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #3  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

I don't worry about water weight; I 'm the same as you with weighing once a week and think it's a great balance of accountability and not letting the scale drive me nuts. Also, congratulations on the loss. It's also sweet that you're transitioning your lifestyle to accommodate maintenance and not falling into the trap of thinking, "I reached my goal, now I can eat crap again."
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I weigh myself every day. I didn't see much retention from lifting (granted the heaviest I lift with my top half is only 70 lbs) but after only 3 weeks at 2-3x a week, everything is getting firmer and smaller.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
I think that if you are weight training regularly, then the water retention should stabilise and either you will drink enough water that it will pass and not be a problem, or it will be roughly constant and you wont notice it because of that. So basically, any time when its not TOM and you have been doing that exercise for a few weeks I think.
I think then 3 weeks is safe amount of time then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapedself View Post
I don't worry about water weight; I 'm the same as you with weighing once a week and think it's a great balance of accountability and not letting the scale drive me nuts. Also, congratulations on the loss. It's also sweet that you're transitioning your lifestyle to accommodate maintenance and not falling into the trap of thinking, "I reached my goal, now I can eat crap again."
Thank you for the kind words. Oh my, I could never think I can eat crap. I worked way too hard to ever let myself slip back again. I think I should weigh in on Monday. Mmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I weigh myself every day. I didn't see much retention from lifting (granted the heaviest I lift with my top half is only 70 lbs) but after only 3 weeks at 2-3x a week, everything is getting firmer and smaller.
I like the firmer and smaller part haha! I can't believe how much my arms and legs have changed in just the past 3 weeks from kettlebell training.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #6  

I would agree that three weeks should be a good adjustment period. Use soreness as your guide. If your muscles are sore, you are probably holding extra water weight in them. I just got back into my weights program and am very sore in my hamstrings, butt and pecs, so I know I am holding some water.

I love the results of weight lifting too. It is almost impossible to put on muscle eating at a deficit and I know this, but just the act of lifting and my body trying to repair those muscles makes them look so much better, so water weight or not, I say keep it up!
jomatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:04 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomatho View Post
I would agree that three weeks should be a good adjustment period. Use soreness as your guide. If your muscles are sore, you are probably holding extra water weight in them. I just got back into my weights program and am very sore in my hamstrings, butt and pecs, so I know I am holding some water.

I love the results of weight lifting too. It is almost impossible to put on muscle eating at a deficit and I know this, but just the act of lifting and my body trying to repair those muscles makes them look so much better, so water weight or not, I say keep it up!
Okey muscles are always sore the day after weight training. But it's a good sore
Old 05-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #8  

I just started strength training last week. Lost the water weight after 3-4 days but will probably go up when I train again.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote