Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/212/140

Height: 5'2

Question Does anyone know if visalus or sensa really work?

Since I am so fat (220lbs) I actually majorly injury myself doing beginning yoga class. In fact I hobbled out of class on saturday, the only 20 something in a class full of 65 plus. Dieting scares me because with my bipolar - I begin to feel deprived, get scared and binge for days - and then feel so ashamed , its hard to start again.
But i have been seeing ads for sensa- i guess it fills you up so you don't eat too much,and then there is the visalus meal replacement shakes - and I was thinking it could help me cope with portion control if i had these shakes to snack on between meals.Has anyone had success? I can tell these are both pyramid scams - so i won't get sucked in - I was just thinking of trying them for a couple weeks and see if it helps.

Last edited by tuvalu; 04-02-2012 at 03:00 AM.
tuvalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #2  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Why are you hurting yourself in yoga? Maybe you're doing the wrong kind of yoga or have a bad teacher, but you shouldn't be hurting yourself. It's fine to push for depth (a little), but it's more important to find balance - and balance isn't injuring yourself.

I'm a similar level of BMI to you, and it's not ok - I do yoga a lot, and at my studio I can't imagine them encouraging me to actually hurt myself.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #3  

My teacher is so gentle - I was already having trouble with my back - I don't think it was her fault. If i go on a mile long walk, I feel like I have shine splints. And I have spent hundreds of dollars on the best walking shoes - with help. I think I just need to lose weight before exercising. But diets are really hard for me. So yeah - I am wondering if these non stimulant type appetite suppressants might be a good idea.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #4  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

If I remember correctly, Body By Vi is the program sold by Visiulals. I have tried their shakes and yes, they are good and yes, if you use them as a meal replacement, you can lose weight. They do push the selling more than the actual nutrition of the shakes which is what turned me off. However, I have a friend who has embraced the 90 Day Challenge (and is really buying into selling the program) and he has lost 80 lbs since he began the challenge (he was over 400lbs to start)
My advice, if you want to try the protein/meal replacement shakes is to buy a 30 day supply, you do not need to purchase the $259 program with all the supplements included to be successful.
Honestly, because of the cost, I have found a different protein shake (Total Soy) which I purchase at Sam's and is just as good. For the most part, as with the Vilasus shakes, you do have to add frozen fruit to give them flavor but they are good. I have a protein shake every night and it really helps with my night time snacking which is my biggest problem area.
Sorry, do not know about sensa but would like to know myself if it is helpful.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #5  
threenorns

i use fitsmart fibre 35.

my stats are almost identical to yours (although i was heavier to start) and i don't have problems with mobility like you describe. mind you, i had to stop zumba classes last year because i messed up my sacroiliac joint after a slip-and-fall while moving furniture (i moved 3 times in 6 months) and it's taken *months* to heal but that's just how those injuries are. i'll be starting zumba again this month as soon as i hear back about the new schedule.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

I have a friend who's into Visalus and it is really working for her. Yes it's a pyramid scheme, yes you can get the same results with any shake/reduced calorie program, but my friend does like it since it's pretty safe (no stimulants, etc. and mostly natural ingredients).
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #7  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 206.5/173/173

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuvalu View Post
Since I am so fat (220lbs) I actually majorly injury myself doing beginning yoga class. In fact I hobbled out of class on saturday, the only 20 something in a class full of 65 plus. Dieting scares me because with my bipolar - I begin to feel deprived, get scared and binge for days - and then feel so ashamed , its hard to start again.
But i have been seeing ads for sensa- i guess it fills you up so you don't eat too much,and then there is the visalus meal replacement shakes - and I was thinking it could help me cope with portion control if i had these shakes to snack on between meals.Has anyone had success? I can tell these are both pyramid scams - so i won't get sucked in - I was just thinking of trying them for a couple weeks and see if it helps.
I've been there, at 5'3 and 235.. meal replacement shakes aren't going to help with binging and shame. I started with exercise, and let diet take care of itself. Walking. Lots of walking. Then a few trips to the gym to lift some light weights, and on from there. When you hurt yourself - go to the doctor and get a referral to PT. My first visit I said "I'm trying to lose weight, and keep hurting myself, and then I blow my diet because I'm laid up for two months while I heal. Will you send me to PT everytime I hurt myself?" And she said "Sure will! And I'll give you enough muscle relaxants/pain relievers to keep going as much as the PT approves." We both kept our side of the bargain, and I lost 10% of my body weight in three months.

Your physical therapist can get you back on track faster than you can get yourself that way, and give you exercises to strengthen that body part, so you don't injure it again.

I can rehab my own back out of just about anything now. And my wrists, ankles and knees. Weight loss is slow for me now, because I'm focusing on other things, but it's become not a source of stress, which was what -I- needed to be successful.
flourless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone! I went ahead and got the 30 day body by vi from amazon - so i won't have to deal with sales people. I am just about to finish ralfing (SI) and plan to start PT very soon. I am so glad to have this resource!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/155/135

Height: 5"7"

I love the Visalus program! I started on it just after New Years and I am down 23 lbs. I am Diabetic, and I went for my 3 month results last week. My Dr was shocked. She asked me what I was doing. My Hba1c dropped, my fbs dropped, my cholesterol dropped and my good cholesterol went up. I actually signed up to promote the product because I am able to see first hand what it has done for me.
Getting My Sexy Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #10  

I understand your dilemma - I have really bad back problems and find exercise difficult. I'm sure if I could lose about 20 lbs then there wouldn't be as much pressure on my back, and I could get exercising. I just find it so hard, I am an "eater" LOL. A friend of mine at work is on the autopay for visalus and gave me a sample and sold me one of her bags. I'm also not into pyramid schemes but visalus so far is the best tasting protein drink I've had. I just started breakfasts only so haven't really been on it long enough to see results but it is convenient (I have a magic bullet at work and mix shakes up there) and it tastes good.
canuckEMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:31 AM   #11  

I always though yoga was to help prevent injury, etc. You are definitely in the wrong class and need to consider a different instructor, or are you doing those tapes? If so, you need to learn the difference between stretching and pain.
FattyFatFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #12  

As for Body By Vi. I have been on it for 90 days and love them. I actually signed up to promote also after a couple of weeks. The advantages of getting them from a promoter is you don't have to sign up to sell them or make commission. You can just sign up as a customer and with that if you can sign up 3 people. You will have yours free the next month. I haven't paid for mine except that 1st month. You are welcome to message me if you have more questions.

Sensa is crap. Tried it...didn't work. They called my house for MONTHS!!! It was a complete nightmare. Finally had to be very nasty to them and the calls stopped. I still get the occasional email.

I am sorry about the Yoga injury. I have always been told slow and steady wins the race. Haven't been able to put my feet behind my head yet :-\
omystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 263/262/160

Height: 5'4

At 5'4 and 263, I just had spinal surgery, so pain is not a stranger to me. Somehow I am betting your not doing the yoga correctly
I would talk to the instructor, because you should be able to do some sort of exercise.
I am an exercise physiologist too, and I have never had a client that I couldn't help with some form of exercise. And all my clients are high risk, medical clients.
Cemommster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 172.6/158.8/139

Height: 5'4

Just letting you know, I took an intro nutrition course..quite a few years ago. I can't remember much but I do remember reading about sensa and in a nutshell we learned that it was just a bunch of junk. Doesnt help.
withinmygrasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #15  
Hang in there!

S/C/G: 252/236/145

Default Sensa

Thanks for your Sensa opinion.
Dawny is offline   Reply With Quote