General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Default Question for all of you coffee drinkers...

I like having hot drinks in the morning. I go through phases between tea and coffee. For the past month I have been drinking coffee with skim milk. I usually buy a large or extra large cup and sip at it throughout the day (I reheat it in the microwave as needed). I know that some diets tell people to avoid caffeine (I think because it causes water retention?). I will say that I have only lost 1 pound this month, where last month (before all of the coffee) I lost 4 or 5. However, my appetite disappears when I drink coffee. For me, coffee acts as an appetite suppressant, more so than tea or water. Does anyone else find this to be true? Does anyone actually purposefully use coffee as an appetite suppressant?

ETA - Out of curiosity, how do you take your coffee (decaf or regular, sugar or artificial sweetener, cream or milk or black)?

Last edited by guacamole; 04-29-2012 at 04:21 PM.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I totally do, plus I love coffee!

I'm a little concerned about the safety of constantly reheating milk, though. I would hate for you to get sick!!!

I bought a Keurig so I could have a fresh cup brewed in less than 5 minutes.

Last edited by ValRock; 04-29-2012 at 03:55 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Absolutely. I have one or two cups just in the morning so that it doesn't influence my sleep at night (I'm sensitive to caffein). I haven't noticed a different in rate of weight loss with coffee.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #4  

I absolutely love Dunkin Donuts coffee, and it just doesn't taste the same when I make it at home. I only have the time and patience to go over there once per day, hence the large cup and the reheating. I didn't really think about getting sick from reheating, but it hasn't been a problem so far.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #5  

I figure if the Olsen twins can drink coffee I can drink coffee and lose. I drink it black.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #6  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

I don't drink coffee often, but when I do I drink a latte with full fat milk. I just budget in the calories.

However, I drink energy drinks and they are like 2cups of coffee per can too. It's really not so great with all the chemicals and I drink it light, but sort of addicted to the caffeine and I love the 'soda' aspect of it. But - I hear ya on the appetite supressant. I don't use it for that on purpose but lately I am paying attention to when I feel like I should eat versus when I have it in my plan and notice I barely ever get really hungry during the daytime, whcih is when I drink caffeine.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

I drink it black.

I have never heard that coffee causes water retention, but I drink it every day so it should be a "constant" type of thing. Valrock - I love my Keurig, I never bothered to make a pot at home before, just had it at work.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #8  

I am hearing two votes for the Keurig coffee maker. Does it taste like coffee you buy in a coffee shop? I've heard that the pods of coffee are expensive - more expensive than buying coffee in a store (my coffee habit costs about $2.20 per day)? I am wondering if I should invest in a Keurig? Also, I know that there are different models - cheaper and more expensive. Which one do each of you have? Thanks!

Last edited by guacamole; 04-29-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #9  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
I am hearing two votes for the Keurig coffee maker. Does it taste like coffee you buy in a coffee shop? I've heard that the pods of coffee are expensive - more expensive than buying coffee in a store (my coffee habit costs about $2.20 per day)? I am wondering if I should invest in a Keurig? Also, I know that there are different models - cheaper and more expensive. Which one do each of you have? Thanks!
The taste will depend on what kind of cups you buy! Cost - About 50cents a cup if you buy them on sale. I also have a filter I can spoon grounds into. Way cheaper when I do it that way! I have a middle range model. I've had it for almost 2 years and will NEVER go back. It's pretty much maintenance free. No coffee getting burned to the bottom of the pot, or mess at all! I love it!

Last edited by ValRock; 04-29-2012 at 05:02 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

I am a coffee drinker. I love the 8'o clock coffee, I switch back and forth between the regular and the Columbian. I generally drink 2 cups a day (2 coffee cups = 4 measuring cups). Sometimes I will also go get a 3rd cup at Tim Horton's while at work. I've been drinking it black, no sugar, no cream since I started losing weight in October and don't seem to be having any issues with my weight loss stalling.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #11  

Thanks for the feedback! When drinking coffee I went from cream and sugar, to cream and raw sugar, to cream only, and now skim milk. I might try to make the switch to drinking it black to avoid whatever carbs and sugars the skim milk provides - but it's a process. It seems like there are lots of black coffee drinkers here, and it's working for them!
Old 04-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #12  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

coffee hasnt affected my weight loss at all...i dont like regular coffee at all, it sits badly on my stomach....i get one 12-ounce nonfat sugarfree mocha a day, usually after my workout on my way to my job
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #13  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

I love my Keuring. Would never go back. If you purchase one, look for the one that brews mug sized cups. The one I have there is a choice of 3 sizes. I think there is a deluxe version that has 5 sizes, and you can set the timer, but it only takes a minute or two, so to me that is a waste of money.

If you buy the Kcups in the supermarket, yes, they are expensive, but, I buy mine at Costco. There are also several places online you can find them at discount. Kohl's also has them on sale and then you put your 20% on top of that. I wouldn't pay more than .50 a cup, and you can get Starbucks Kcups at Costco. Buy the little cup to brew your own coffee if you are very picky about your coffee, and it doesn't come in Kcup size.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Height: 5'7"

Coffee is a diuretic, it does NOT make you retain fluid. Obviously too much caffeine is a bad thing but there are a lot of studies that say in moderate amounts, it can be beneficial.
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 360/270/175

Height: 5"6'

it makes me lose weight by making me poop.................LOL
missunderstood28 is offline   Reply With Quote