Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #1  
Don't give up.

S/C/G: 195/195/165

Height: 5'0"

Default Soda Substitute

I like the fizzy taste of sodas, but not the calories and sugar in them. I don't drink sodas often because I see them as excessive calories, but will occasionally indulge in one. Since I've been trying to be careful about my diet, I am eating much less and exercising a lot more. I've noticed weird cravings for fizzy drinks that just strike me sometimes.

San Pellegrino seems like a great substitute. I've been chilling it and drinking it on days when I'm craving something soda-like. All the texture without the extra calories and sugar!

I've heard rumors, though, that carbonated water promotes belly-fat storage. Anyone know if it's true?
neon_zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #2  
Kandie Apple Sundae

S/C/G: 225/180/150

Height: 5 foot 2

I find that Peace Teas make AMAZING subs. SO good, low in cals and Carbs.
Arizona also makes some very yummy teas.

I was big cola drinker and I challenged myself this month not to drink any and I have been very successful and found those teas to be wonderful and satisfying.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:59 AM   #3  
Incredible Shrinkin Woman

S/C/G: 270/234/155

Height: 5'11"

Carbonated water does not promote belly-fat storage. There is a lot of negativity surrounding carbonated water, but it is no worse for you than drinking regular water

I drink 0 calorie soda, diet soda. I dont drink it every day, but sometimes I have that urge to drink something sweet and bubbly. I used to be one of those people who hated diet soda, I thought it tasted HORRIBLE. But, when I first started my diet I didnt have soda for a month, then I dared to try a diet soda and I couldnt detect any flavor difference from what I remember of regular soda. I was stoked! I tried Dr. Pepper 10 the other day, and I couldnt drink it. It tasted like syrup and was so sweet it was disgusting. I love this mental image I have of soda now, because I associate that taste and my reaction to regular soda. I have completely eliminated any appetite I had for it!

What I also like to do is grab som carbonated water, fresh mint leaf and 0 calorie sweetener. I crush the mint in the sweetener and add ice, then carbonated water and I have a refreshing drink. Its great for the summer
UnderTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I recently gave up artificial sweeteners (diet pepsi was a big one, and boy do I miss it... heck, I still give in every few days to 'wean' because I was/am SUCH an addict). I have been drinking Polar seltzer and like it a lot. Pellegrino is good! I had some other flavored seltzers I was drinking and thought were fine, but then I noticed they had aspartame Oh well.

I've never heard anything about plain carbonation having anything to do with belly fat.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #5  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Try putting lemon juice or a lemon wedge in your water. When I gave up Diet Coke (which was a daily, all-day habit), I went cold turkey. I found lemon water to be a big help. I wonder if it has something to do with the citric acid? I would drink lemony water all day and it really helped curb the cravings. At the time, I was going to school two days a week. If I really felt like I must have a cola, I could get one from the vending machine on my school days. The rest of the time, lemon water.

I don't think it's the carbonation that's the problem so much as the artificial sugars. Zevia is a really good diet soda you can get at the health food stores like Sprouts or Whole Foods. It's made with Stevia, a natural no calorie sugar. It's expensive (like $6/6pack) so it's good for the occasional cola drinker. I still by my Diet Coke, but in the can. I will down a whole can or a whole 2L bottle in a day, so I stick with cans. I only drink one every 2 or 3 days, as well.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #6  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I barely drink soda anymore. I certainly don't need the extra sugar, and most diet varieties contain aspartame, which I've found makes my head fuzzy and can give me awful migraines. I'm not sure if sucralose is any healthier, but it hasn't given me any noticeable problems so I will have some of that in moderation. One of the only kinds of diet sodas I've found that uses sucralose instead of aspartame is Diet Hansen's. And of course there's the aforementioned Zevia, which is sweetened with stevia. Both are rather expensive and I only buy them for a very occasional treat.

I also have a SodaStream at home so I can make my own carbonated water and can add anything I want to it! Even then I don't use it very often, but one of my favorite drinks involves adding just a small amount of cranberry juice (plain, not the cocktail) to give the fizzy water a nice flavor; it's similar to adding a small amount of lemon juice to a drink (plain cranberry juice is extremely sour).

I used to be a complete soda addict, but I don't even crave it anymore. Like I said, I just have it for an occasional treat now, like when I went to a relative's BBQ last week. I still tend to eat out a lot, but almost always order water with lemon. If I want something a little fancier I'll order an unsweet tea.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #7  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I've never head that carbonation promotes fat storage, I don't see how that could be true. Where did you hear that, if you don't mind me asking.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

why dont you switch to diet soda? No calories.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #9  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Technically, there is a slight difference between carbonated and non-carbonated water. Carbonated water is slightly more acidic, and consuming lots of it can contribute to slight erosion in your dental enamel. It is nowhere near as bad as soda, but there you go. (Knowledge is power!)

Btw, knowing that doesn't stop me from putting lemon juice in my carbonated water (with stevia) when I want a treat - but since I have terrible teeth to begin with, I've tried to moderate my consumption more.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #10  
Buxom Babe

S/C/G: 280/162/160

Height: 5'8

I too came from a huge soft drink habit. I bought espresso powder to make my 8 oz coffee for the morning (1TBsp powder, 8 oz hot water, 2 tsps sugar, sometimes a tsp of half and half) and I got my caffeine buzz. For the rest of the day I'd do a True Lemon packet in a bottle of water or a wedge of lime in a glass of San Pellegrino, cups of hot tea with a tsp of sugar, or a glass of soymilk.

It all helped me slowly taper off of soft drinks though every now and again I'll indulge in a root beer or a ginger ale. Every now and again is a lot better than 2 liters of Coca-cola mandatory per day.
586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Diet soda is still a crutch for me. I prefer diet Mountain Dew and Diet Dr. Pepper (especially diet Cherry Dr. Pepper). They taste closer to real soda than the diet versions of Coke or Pepsi.

But I need to drink more water. I just hate plain old water. I can handle it if it is ice cold or if I have ice available, but nothing is worse to me than room temperature water.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 207/174/125

Height: 5'5"

I've never heard of carbonated water promoting belly fat either BUT I do know that it does make you bloat :/
If you can't quit soda cold turkey I saw a segment on Dr.Oz about drinking half soda/half seltzer water to "wean" yourself off of it, and slowly replacing the soda part with natural juice of course I'd try to stay away from anything carbonated of you'd like to prevent bloat but I hope this helps!
Misa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 275/249/170

Height: 5'7

One of my friends is on a weight loss quest and he suggested something I have never heard of (or tried!) but it sounds like it could be delicious.

As opposed to doing half soda/half seltzer he does Seltzer Water and Crystal light. I can't wait to give this a try!
SugarRomeoTango4852 is offline   Reply With Quote