Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/249/170

Height: 5'7

Default Pre Menstural Rage (TMI Included)

Pre Menstrual Rage is more accurate for me because PMS is not nearly strong enough a word to describe it.

I have never been on BC or had a Pap done but I am going next week because for the past year, my emotions have been out of control around the time I am supposed to bleed. (Mind you, if I have a period every four months I am lucky)

Lately, it has been extremely difficult for me to function and interact with people around this time. I am always, no matter what, on the edge of breaking anything I can get my hands on or curling into a ball and crying. My boss brought me beautiful flowers flowers today that smell lovely and I have them in a vase on my desk. I would like nothing more than to smash them into tiny pieces and stomp them out of existence. I feel so awful about it that it feeds the wanting to cry which in turn feeds the rage.

Additionally, I want to eat anything I can get my hands on. At this point, I am willing to eat seafood and I hate seafood. It is disgusting but if it was in front of me, I wouldn't be able to NOT eat it. Other times, I can barely stand the thought of putting food in my mouth, even things I love like chicken parm, without throwing up. I will go from having no appetite to being ravenously hungry.

I was hoping exercise would help today, and it did, for around 10 mins then everything went back to the way it was before I exercised. I never have these issues any other times and it scares the beejezus me (leading to near tears to more rage and back again. It is the worst viscous cycle).

Does anyone else have issues this severe around this time of month? I am hoping it is semi-normal (well, it is clearly not normal) and that BC or some medication will help me. Any information would be awesome.
SugarRomeoTango4852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

This is a real thing, called Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder - PMDD. It is the diagnosis applied to symptoms that are similar to PMS, but significantly more severe and/or debilitating.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004461/

Talk to your doctor - there may be treatments (including birth control pills, anti-depressants, etc) that can help.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 232/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Since I have been dieting and exercising, I have noticed a major increase in my attitude around that time of the month. My PMS is much much stronger than it used to be. It usually only lasts for a day or 2 where its really bad and I am so pissed off at everyone I just want to rip someones head off (my fiance stays far away those days! lol) I also get more emotional, and i think 2 months ago I started crying over something crazy lol...I just have to take a few deep breaths and step back and get calm...I talked to one of my good friends about this because it freaked me out. She to experiences a much more emotional cycle since she has started working out/eating right as well.
I also know that both me and my friend have a cycle on the heavier side...so maybe that has something to do with it to?
DanieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

My cycle is heavier and I am MUCH more emotional around PMS time since I have started losing weight...it seems to get worse the more I lose. I'm not sure why this is - I have been attributing it to my age and maybe entering peri-menopause. It's interesting to hear that other women of different age groups are also experiencing this connection between weight loss and difficult PMS/menstrual symptoms.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #5  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I understand the rage. Yesterday I was driving through traffic and ended up so mad I wanted to cry, and I actually SPED UP when I saw kids trying to cross the street - NOT GOOD. You may have PMDD pretty severely if you feel you cannot function when you're about to bleed - seconding recommendations to seek professional medical advice about treatments.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #6  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

I would definitely speak to your health care provider about something like this. It could be serious. I know I personally suffer from cramps that are so bad I have to take vicodin at times. They have lessened a HUGE amount since I started taking Yaz birth control - it's the only thing that keeps them in check.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #7  
Stevia Nicks

S/C/G: HW334/SW314/CW304/GW170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanieJo View Post
Since I have been dieting and exercising, I have noticed a major increase in my attitude around that time of the month. My PMS is much much stronger than it used to be. It usually only lasts for a day or 2 where its really bad and I am so pissed off at everyone I just want to rip someones head off (my fiance stays far away those days! lol) I also get more emotional, and i think 2 months ago I started crying over something crazy lol...I just have to take a few deep breaths and step back and get calm.
This is exactly me. I don't actually have a period any more (thank you, Mirena), but my PMS is still around, and it's been WAY stronger since I started losing weight. Normally I'm very logical, patient, and level-headed, but for a couple of days a month now I'm rage-filled, jealous, and cry almost non-stop. It's awful!!!
Luceia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

See doc and get them to test your hormones levels -- they could be out of whack and causing a lot of upheaval during the shifts at period time.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #9  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

This is exactly why I started Acupunture, and you know what it's helped me out A LOT. I haven't wanted to kill or watch anyone bleed this month at all. The week before TOM I'm am out right psychotic, during TOM a little less but still moody as ****. I mean I was up and down, down down up, then even downer. My moods this month have seem to be normal and not extreme! So if you can I'd definitely give acupunture a shot!
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #10  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

Height: 5'5"

I think it comes down to the fact that fat holds on to hormones, so when we're burning the fat, we're releasing those hormones so they can mess with us. I've also been much more moody with my period than I had been prior (but I also just came off of the pill and got an IUD -which was a wonderful change).

I think its a great idea to go see your gyno and have them maybe check your levels for hormones and whatnot. Also, GET A PAP. This is my soapbox moment. No matter how young or old you are, get one! I have known many women in their 20s whose paps saved them from cervical cancer! Okay, off the soapbox
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have PMDD (or at least severe PMS) to the point that hubby (only half-) jokingly would call me werewolf and said that during "that time of month" it wasn't safe for him to enter the apartment without first throwing in a bag of burgers and/or chocolate and waiting to hear munching.

I've found that the right birth control helps subdue the werewolf. Unfortunately my drug coverage no longer pays for the bc that works best, but the bc that I'm now on, is still better than not being on bc. When I'm not on any bc, it gets really bad.

Even with the best birth control, I still have isues related to TOM. I keep a diet and symptom journal where I document the weather (because it effects my fibromyalgia), my pain level, my emotional state, everything I eat, how long and how well I've slept, and which day I am in my cycle and if applicable which day of my period I'm on (Day 1 of my cycle is the first day of a birth control packet, and Day 1 of my period is the day I tart the period. My period starts anywhere from day 21 to day 24 and lasts 5 to 9 days).

Hubby and I started "charting" my bad days. We almost never argue, but during "that time of month" we tend to have very intense arguments. I started color-coding the severity of the arguments. Green days were great days. Yellow Days were days I was irritable, and Purple days were days that I felt intense sadness or extreme anger.

I know this all sounds insanely complicated, but really it's a system that my husband and I developed gradually over time, recording the variables that affect my sanity and health. You don't have to do anything nearly this detailed, but keeping track of the cycle days and/or the worst times really can help.

For example, while I always new I had PMS/TOM problems, I didn't really keep track or work hard at circumventing problems. I kind of assumed I was stuck with whatever I experienced. But recording the days and seeing the overall pattern has helped tremendously. After recording the good, bad, and terrible days and I seeing it's patterns, I now know when my bad and horrible days are likely to happen, and I work extra hard at stress relief on the days that I know are going to be bad or horrible. We even call them "yellow days" and "purple days."

My hubby and I even plan around the purple days, planning more alone time for me, because it's really hard for me to "play well with others," so I don't. Those are the days that I work on the computer and/or craft or read by myself. I also try to remember that I'm going to find absolutely everything my husband (or anyone) does, extremely annoying or worse.

I also have other strategies that help me minimize or at least manage the rage, the weepiness, the emotional rollercoaster, and what we call "nesting" (right before the rage and weepiness, I will start feeling the need to reorganize and redecorate the apartment, or I'll start thinking and planning things like getting a new pet, apartment or house.)

Hubby noticed the "nesting" behavior first, and when he'd point it out, I would get extremely angry because it felt like he was dismissing my ideas/plans as being caused by the period (he was right, because the desire for new domestic changes would dissipate when the period was over, and I'd realize I do not really want a new pet or a new house). Somehow the color-coding has helped me realize and recognize the thoughts as part of the period, not part of me. Hubby and I even recently laughed about it as it was happening (which really was unique. In the past, even when I "knew" what was going on, I hated hubby joking about it. We've finally come to a point where I have a better sense of humor about the emotional weirdness even while it's going on. Although I still have a hair trigger when it comes to being teased during that TOM).

Food is important to. I crave red meat, chocolate, and high-carb comfort foods during PMS/TOM. I've found that my symptoms aren't quite as severe if I don't overdo the carbs or the red meat. I do eat more red meat during this time, but I try to make sure I'm getting my protein mostly from other sources. I do allow myself chocolate, but I try to pick less sugary options and try not to go nuts with it. If I eat relatively low carb, with small amounts of beef and chocolate, I feel the best (and have the most luck in avoiding the binges that used to be a monthly occurence).

I know I've written a novel (I tend to do that), but really in a nutshell what I'm trying to say is that there are many things that can help. Medications, documenting the problem so you recognize patterns, stress-relieving techniques, diet, exercise... you'll find what works for you. Writing it down really does help you see patterns, and being prepared and proactive is really half the battle.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #12  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

For me, I just do a lot of praying and mental work when I feel that come on. A lot of it is prevention - taking a deep breath if I feel myself snapping at my children or husband (and asking forgiveness liberally for it!), taking a five minute break with headphones on in the bathroom, just recentering and calming down. Realizing that my emotions aren't telling me the truth compared to reality - that I am over-reacting and being sensitive, and that the swings aren't 'me'. That helps a lot.

When I take it one thing at a time, making sure to be aware that my dysphoria is hormonal and not rational at all... It helps immensely! And a little break to get my head back and stop reacting with my ovaries, so to speak, can make a massive difference in how I feel.

I refuse to do any hormonal birth control, so that isn't an option for me, but relaxation techniques and knowing when it is coming on (so I can head off symptoms quickly, before they snowball) fixes 90% of my issues with hormonal mood flux and my cycle.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #13  
Started IP May 1, 2012

S/C/G: 281/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
This is a real thing, called Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder - PMDD. It is the diagnosis applied to symptoms that are similar to PMS, but significantly more severe and/or debilitating.
I actually have PMDD, and yup, that about describes it. My gyno put me on birth control to help stabilize my periods. They also use Prozac to even out your moods around that time, but I'm clinically depressed, so I was already on it. But I would definitely talk to your doctor about your symptoms and see if that may be the cause.
0ojoyo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 275/249/170

Height: 5'7

Thanks Everyone for reassuring me about this. I am going to bring it up with my doctor immediately on Wednesday (terrified though I may be about it) because it was completely unacceptable and awful.

I am, also, very very very glad that I am not the only one who has this issue. I didn't know it was actually a disorder (like PMS but worse!) because I have never had an issue with it before I started losing weight.

Lets hope my doctor will give me something to help!
SugarRomeoTango4852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #15  
threenorns

funny you should mention this: i just finished going through this exact same thing - even the dog was starting to avoid me.

today, i got my blood test back and it's not good:

ferritin levels are down to 26 (the acceptable range is 10 - 291 for that lab)
red blood cell distribution width is high (means my blood cells vary widely in diameter)
and my alkaline phosphatase is low (which can cause fatigue, irritability, mood swings, restless leg syndrome, rapid heart rate, shortness of breath, constipation, intolerance to cold, and severe weight loss).

on its own, one of the causes of low AP is malnutrition (understandable, given my extremely low calorie allowance for the past cpl months) but added together, it points to anaemia, which i've had problems with all my life (so it's time to up my calories and add liver with tomato sauce to the diet).

get your blood checked for low alkaline phosphatase levels.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-26-2012 at 11:08 AM.