Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/199/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Evil popcorn

So after telling my boyfriend that we need to go on a date (we live together so we don't go on actual dates that much anymore), we decided to go to a movie.

I decided we haven't been out for a while so I wasn't going to count calories or anything and we could get a small popcorn at the theatre to share.

So my bf has been super supportive and helps me with my calorie counting and everything and unbeknownst to me he looks up the calories and tells me. Nooooooo! So that kinda ruined it! So now, we're going to have a fruit bar instead at the theatre lol. Half of me is annoyed but the other half is grateful.

Does anything like this happen to you guys where you want to have a cheat night but can't even let yourself do that?
kimminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #2  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

It's not so much that I won't let myself have a cheat night, it's more that I'm really aware of the damage I can do!

I think it's great how supportive your BF is; sounds like a keeper!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Popcorn at the movies is definitely not worth cheating for! Just my opinion. It's just popcorn loaded with sodium and fake butter. You can do it at home for next to nothing and with less fat and sodium. I actually don't buy any snacks at the movies anymore. I enjoy the movie and just forget about the junk.

As to your actual question - I think we often come to the conclusion that "cheating' isn't all it's cracked up to be. We know we're going to pay for it later so why not just be sensible now? Some things are worth it, some aren't.. I'd enjoy the movie and the company and forget about the junk food. Start a new habit!

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 04-25-2012 at 07:51 PM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by linJber View Post
Popcorn at the movies is definitely not worth cheating for! Just my opinion.
Lin
As we often say on this board, different strokes for different folks. Popcorn at the movies is an indulgence I'm not willing to give up. It increases my enjoyment quotient by several orders of magnitude. I usually order a large -- about 1,000 calories without extra topping. As long as I compensate by eating lighter before or after it's not a problem.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

If you ever get tired of your boyfriend, send him my way
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245 / 189 / 170

Height: 5"4

pop your own ! just get the bags and kernels at walmart. add 3 tbsp of kernels to a paper lunch sack - fold and microwave 2 minutes - spray with butter Pam - salt / season. pour into ziplock baggy and shove it in your purse. that's 130 calories vs 1,500! this is what I do when I go to the movies now. it's absolutely mind boggling how many calories / fat is in the popcorn.
Alyj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #7  

LOL I smuggle baby-carrots into the movie theatre. The appeal of movie popcorn is mainly the smell more than the taste. So if I'm eating something I feel fine...but sitting there without anything to eat is like TORTURE because of the smell.
I also smuggle in club soda. That's my 'pop'
Pepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 228/199/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyj89 View Post
pop your own ! just get the bags and kernels at walmart. add 3 tbsp of kernels to a paper lunch sack - fold and microwave 2 minutes - spray with butter Pam - salt / season. pour into ziplock baggy and shove it in your purse. that's 130 calories vs 1,500! this is what I do when I go to the movies now. it's absolutely mind boggling how many calories / fat is in the popcorn.
THAT'S GENIUS!

I agree that movie popcorn isn't worth the cheat now that I know that's it's almost a full days worth of calories but yeesh, what do they put in that stuff?!

Movies and food go hand in hand for me; I'm like you, Pepino, and just need something to munch on!

And yes, the bf is definitely a keeper! He's trying to get healthier too and it's a lot easier when we can do it together.
kimminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Movie popcorn is one of those things I can have only rarely not because I've decided it isn't worth it but because I look at the calorie count and go "LOL WHAT."

Sometimes my fiance and I will buy a small bag and share it...sometimes he wants a giant bag. I'll grab a handful and then just chew gum to stop me from taking more.

If I want something to munch on for the movie, I'll bring my own stuff. I notice that beyond the first handful of popcorn I'm not really tasting it anyway...I just want something to munch on while watching a movie!

Or...I bring dinner into the movies. I'm a bad influence on my fiance, as he will request that I bring a large bag now so that we can make something for dinner and take it with us
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #10  
Master of duels

Popcorns cooked with oil and grease is a killer for any diet
mikava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

I agree with one of the posters - there's a time to diet and a time to splurge, and movietime is definitely a time for me to splurge. I either make up the extra calories during the rest of the day or on the following day. Or it'll just be a day that I don't expect to lose weight. I don't go to the movies that much, so it's not a big deal. But I'd much rather munch on some smuggled-in M&Ms or Jordan Almonds (the concession stand is WAY expensive) than nibble on some carrots or mediocre-at-best animal crackers.

Last edited by tricon7; 04-26-2012 at 09:50 AM.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #12  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

My hubby & I try to go to a movie AFTER dinner - it's a date night - that way I'm full and can avoid the popcorn & other treats b/c we just ate! Just a thought.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

I smuggle healthy snacks in as well LOL. I feel if they don't have it as an option they aren't losing money at the concession stand since I WON'T buy anything for me there. I usually get my son or hubby something at concessions though... takes the eye off my purse!

Really though they could offer better options for people. I can understand if it wasn't fruit or veggies..since they expire quickly but how hard would it be to offer air popped popcorn. They could make it while you waited.
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #14  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsgurl0531 View Post
I smuggle healthy snacks in as well LOL. I feel if they don't have it as an option they aren't losing money at the concession stand since I WON'T buy anything for me there. I usually get my son or hubby something at concessions though... takes the eye off my purse!

Really though they could offer better options for people. I can understand if it wasn't fruit or veggies..since they expire quickly but how hard would it be to offer air popped popcorn. They could make it while you waited.
They're getting better at offering healthy snacks. The AMC theaters near me have a healthy snack bundle, but it's not all that great. It's still better than the cheese nachos though!

I too rationalize that they aren't losing money if I smuggle in healthy snacks because I wouldn't be buying anything anyway!

To take the eyes off my purse I have my fiance hold onto the tickets and I pretend to be busy on my phone.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #15  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

Dang! I love movie popcorn and yes, its like that for me too! I feel really bad turning down a date night with my husband sometimes, but i'm so afraid off temptation and getting off track. I've had a few cheat days, but I really try to keep it to a minimum.. And save it for my very supportive, yet hungry hubby
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote