General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/TICKER/140

Height: 5'6.5

Default HPV Vaccine..

Hey everyone! Another thread just got me thinking - how many of you here have had the HPV vaccine? Or would be willing to get it or let your child have it? I've had it myself and suffered no ill effects, but it seems lots of people have strong opinions against it. I wonder if I would have still had it if I'd researched it more thoroughly. Thoughts?

Hope everyone had a great weekend
aseret123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I personally would never get it. I have a friend whose daughter started having terrible migraines after she had it. I know that's anecdotal but I've also researched it and it only protects against a very small percentage of the cervical cancer strains. I think it's a personal decision. Also, nobody knows how long it lasts so giving it to young kids seems pointless to me since they're not likely to get cervical cancer at a young age anyway. I think adults should make this decision for themselves. I'm not going to get into a debate about this issue because I know it's a hot topic but this is just my own personal opinion. I'm glad you didn't have any ill effects.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

People have become so antivaccine because we are at a time when we now can be. Many people are now gone that remembered and lived when the iron lung was in effect and when smallpox ravaged the earth. I think it is a decision I would have to think about for vaccinating my child. I myself sign up for yearly flu vaccines, and am current on tetanus, hepatitis and everything else. The vaccine is designed to work against the most common strains of hpv causing cervical cancer. HPV is a virus that gets into the cells of the cervix, and lives there for years before causing cancer. So years go by, more people are infected, and the cancer happens later. The infection is often contracted when people are young and maybe not thinking about condom use. So the question is, do you subject your child to a vaccine, or do you worry they will get a potentially cancer-causing virus? That is a hard question to answer, and I guess every parent has to make the decision for themselves. If I was not married, I would most likely get the vaccine. I have had some abnormal pap smears(HPV negative), and I don't have mass media induced vaccine fears. But I have had no issues with vaccines. I did however suffer an environmentally induced autoimmune disease from occupational chemical exposure combined with sunlight. So I am wary of pesticides, herbicides, root inducers and fertilizers. But that is just one person's opinion. Take care.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I would get it if I had insurance.

Which I should next month or at the very least later this year. I plan to run to the doctor and grab any vaccines I might have missed in my insurance gap.

People seem to be against it because they feel it promotes sexual promiscuity. Personally I would rather be safe than sorry, even if my chances of getting it are low (fiance and I are virgins, haha. We'll do the deed eventually...when we get around to it )
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: See ticker!

Height: 5'0

I got it, and will probably have my kids get it too if I have them someday. My mom pretty much made me get it, though I'm glad I did now.

It protects against the strains that cause cervical cancer. I don't see how it's any different than protecting against the others things we get vaccination for, such as hepatitis. My only objection would be that it's a new vaccine, but all medicine has to be new at one point, and the vaccines we already have were new once upon a time also.
Samantha18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #6  

Nope. I was offered it and declined, and my daughter won't be getting it either. We have a strong history of auto-immune disorders in our family as well as autism, and we no longer do any vaccines. I actually am under medical orders to not receive most vaccines {and for my daughter not to as well} due to my auto-immune thyroid issues causing me to have a suppressed immune system.
dakotamidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 282/TICKER/140

Height: 5'6.5

Thank you for your opinions! They're all making interesting reading. It must be very difficult to make a decision like this for your child.

I was 16 when I had the first shot nearly 4 years ago, so by that time I didn't need a guardians permission - my mother was fully supportive of whatever decision I made anyway. I just feel that I could have been better educated about it; medical professionals came to our school and vaccinated every girl (with permission) between the ages of 12 and 18. We were given a leaflet explaining what the vaccine was for but there was no mention of potential side effects. I guess I should have done my own research - though to be honest even if I'd known, I probably would have still had the vaccine. I know that a lot of girls have suffered ill effects but this is most likely a small amount of people compared to how many have actually been vaccinated. Hundreds of girls at my school had the vaccine and as far as I know no one had any side effects, apart from being unable to lift our arms too high for a couple of days! I definitely understand how it could cause worry though.
aseret123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't have it but I would get it if I ever became single again. Vaccines tend to be more beneficial than harmful. It seems like an easy way to help prevent a common cancer.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #9  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

NOPE NEVER.

As the mother of a vaccine injured child. NO. NO NO NOOOOO no no no. NO.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #10  
threenorns

i, too, have a vaccine injured child - no way on this green earth or any other planet under any circumstances EVER will i have my jabbed with anything ever again.

my oldest daughter was *fine* until she had a massive reaction to a vaccine as an infant. she stopped gaining weight and when she was a young adult, all her diagnoses were resolved into one: asperger's.

i didn't get my second daughter vaccinated at all until i was (mis)informed (illegally so) that she "had" to have her vaccines to go to school. she was given all of them in two whacking doses one month apart at the age of 4. she didn't have a massive reaction (with the fever and the swelling and the convulsions) like her sister - but it was nearly two weeks after each shot before she was "normal" again. that whole time, she was lethargic, lackadaisical, off her feed, and just plain dozy. she was in grade 10 when my "stunned fish" daughter was revealed to have an IQ "comfortably" in the genius level - with reading at a post-doctorate level and math at a grade 4, writing at grade 5.

my youngest had the first 3 shots but was going the same way - each time, she reacted worse and took longer to recover.

NO.
MORE.

the amount of toxic junk they want to stick into our kids is criminal!

and the HPV vaccine doesn't even do anything - even the FDC says so.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-23-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #11  

If I wasn't married, absolutely.
And I'd like to say that my son has been diagnose with autism, which has of course been freed from the vaccine relation it once had. (assuming you keep up with current medical literature) But I wanted to mention that.
I have Hashimoto's, and autoimmune thyroid disease.
Psoriasis, also autoimmune.
I am a registered nurse.
I have a another son who is typical.
We are all up to date on all vaccines offered.

And I stand by vaccinating.
If I had a daughter, she would get it.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 04-23-2012 at 10:07 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #12  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

They haven't even found a proven link between HPV and cancer, OR proven that vaccine even prevents the kind of HPV that may or may not cause cancer.

Not worth the risk.

MOST people clear HPV on their own. Not worth the risk.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #13  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
If I wasn't married, absolutely.
And I'd like to say that my son has been diagnose with autism, which has of course been freed from the vaccine relation it once had. But I wanted to mention that.
I have Hashimoto's, and autoimmune thyroid disease.
Psoriasis, also autoimmune.
I am a registered nurse.
I have a another son who is typical.
We are all up to date on all vaccines offered.

And I stand by vaccinating.
If I had a daughter, she would get it.
Pretty much ditto everything here except I'm not a nurse, but I have a son with autism. I have hypothyroidism and a son who is typical (though ADHD) and if I had a daughter she would get it - without a doubt.

Soon, what will happen is that there will be an outbreak in the United States of some disease that was thought gone or mostly eradicated. Children will suffer and die because their parents felt the risk of vaccinations outweighed the risks of getting the disease. I hope that day doesn't come soon, but it will come.

My mother in law who suffered from polio as a child and has life long struggles because of it could say a few words on it too. She was a ballerina and 15 when she got it - they thought she would never walk again. She's luck she can, but at 76, she's struggling again as her body is finding it harder and harder to cope with the weakened muscles in her legs. And she was a LUCKY one.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Soon, what will happen is that there will be an outbreak in the United States of some disease that was thought gone or mostly eradicated. Children will suffer and die because their parents felt the risk of vaccinations outweighed the risks of getting the disease. I hope that day doesn't come soon, but it will come.

^ THIS^ !!!!!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
They haven't even found a proven link between HPV and cancer, OR proven that vaccine even prevents the kind of HPV that may or may not cause cancer.

Not worth the risk.

MOST people clear HPV on their own. Not worth the risk.
I would say that HPV is one of the more optional vaccinations but they have proven HPV can cause cancer. The vaccines cover the most frequent kinds of HPV that causes cancer.

These are a couple good reads about it
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/HPV
http://www.cdc.gov/hpv/cancer.html
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote